Builds 3 days and 3300 miles later (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
Left Thursday, August 3rd in the evening at 6 pm.......Drove to Hundred mile house, British Columbia Canada. Was at the guys house for 3 hours and then drove home......Just got back today, Sunday, August 6th around 1 pm this afternoon. Had my neighbor and my wife with me, only stopped for 5 hours just north of Merritt, BC because we were all to tired to drive and had to sleep along side the road.

I guess I am now the proud owner of a 78 lwb :) But, was a little mis-informed on the condition of the frame by the owner :frown: I saw the pics of the truck before I went, but took his word on the condition of the frame....shouldn't of. I guess I was able to get a pretty good deal on it considering, but the frame is pretty much toast. I have never seen one rusted that bad??? Interior is in great shape, also got a lot of spare parts and the lwb is all there, so that's good I guess?

Had to pick up a 74 FJ40 and a 72 FJ40 project that he had started. He wouldn't sell just the truck, it all had to go. The price was right I guess for just the lwb and figured since I was going all that way, might as well pick up the rest of it. So it all came home.....;p

Oh, by the way...the lwb hadn't run in 9 years....my neighbor and I put a fresh battery in it tonight after we unloaded it, drained the gas and put fresh fuel in, checked the oil and coolant......turned the key and it popped right off!!! Absolutely amazing...!! Took it for a spin around the neighbor hood for fun.

Anyway, thought I would post some pics and see what you guys think. Wondering what your thoughts are on the frame?? Pretty certain I can fix everything else, but that frame is pretty far gone :frown: In hindsight I wish I would have gotten some pics of the frame before I went, but took the guys word for it. But, I was there so it was coming home with me. ;)

Matt
1.jpg
2.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG

Last edited:
more
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG

more 2
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG

last 1
MVC-014S.JPG

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

65-fj45 said:
If anyone can fix that, It will be you. Keep up the great work.

The sheet metal doesn't scare me :) But the frame does :frown:

I didn't post any pics of the frame because I'm kinda embarressed that I didn't get more details on the frame before I drove out there :whoops:

Needless to say......I'm amazed that it hasn't collasped :rolleyes:

Kinda off topic, but anyone ever use a matkins economy or level I frame? Price? Quality? Also, do they make one for the lwb, website just says FJ45?

Thanks, Matt

I've heard that all the lwb 45 frames are the same. My '82 troopie frame looked really close to a 45 lwb pickup frame. Never compared either to an LV though. Also, I'm pretty sure Toyota just spliced in a section of the frame to make the lwb frames. You might be able to make your own from the 40s you got.

too cool :). You just graduated to the next level so it should be a big deal for you.....right? Hopefully you will post more pics.

warrior_1515 said:
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Matt

Looks like you scored, sorry to have missed you on your
trip through. Matkins does not have frames for 45's as of yet.
apparently he's waiting on a good one to base a jig on. I did
however find out there will be frames available soon here in B.C.
WILL keep you posted.
:beer:

40 frames were available the last time I checked from Toyota. 45 Still available? Owens export import one maybe??

The difference between an LV and an lpb frame is the bed mounts/body mounts.

Ken is correct on just stretching the frame of a 40.

I know three or four months ago TLC in California had a 45 frame for sale, it was listed on there web site. they have since changed the site, but it might be worth a shot to call them.

Right on Matt!!! :D

Looks like a great project. That extra 72 FJ40 frame could come in handy if the 45 frame is shot. That 74 FJ40 looks pretty nice too. (more pics please!)

I can't wait to watch the progress.

:popcorn:

Very cool, I figured it was just a matter of time before you found one. That was quite a load you pulled behind that red truck. What would you guess, around 15,000 Lbs?

I've been suffering from Buckroseau withdrawal for weeks and it finally looks like there will be some relief soon. Thank you! I can't wait until you get started.

Oh, BTW............bezel :D

don't get me wrong, I love the canadians, but their version of rust is WAY different than folks in the US......

man that 45 looks sad, the interior looks good....and so does the winch cover :)

and a few more ft.........I thought the LV frame was the same(or darn close) to a 45 shortbed frame......no way its the same length as a LPB(long bed) frame

Owyhee Jackass said:
The difference between an LV and an lpb frame is the bed mounts/body mounts.

Ken is correct on just stretching the frame of a 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom