2nd gen 4Runner seats in 1st gen 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, just got back from test fitting them. The passenger side with the original rails fits really well except for one hole but it looks like it's just a matter of widening the hole to one side.

The driver's side however is close on all the bolts but all the holes would have to be widened. Just to clarify, the driver's side is the '95 assembly unmodified. I assume that means that I need to use the original rails on the driver's side as well. Confirmation of that would be nice but I think I will go ahead and take the old seat apart and at least put the new bottom on the rails and go for another test fit tomorrow.

I just widened the holes on the drivers seat, the drivers seat had more adjustments so the old rails would not work.

Yes I think you're right. If I use the '85 driver's rails then I lose the thigh height adjustment. I will just need to get the plastic side panels sprayed brown when the shop sprays all the other interior panels.

:lol: Just so you know I saw this thread and will chime in later once I am back in town and not off working w/ just my phone and no laptop or Pics to help ya with.

If you havn't figured it out by Thursday just sit back and smile while saying the following in my Redneck style voice parody...

"I keen make her dun fit en der, jus watch this here git dun." ;)

PM me a number and I'll give you a call if I'm missing a major trick that I need to be aware of.

yep that is the one, i do not think you have to widen them that much but i also found some big wide thick washers to use too. sorry i can not remember the size, i got them off the job.

Looks like the cable is available. Credit to WarDamnEagle for actually digging up a part #. :cool:

Thanks; the cable is the right one. Part number is 72210-89103 if anyone needs one. Cost is <$40.

cool, so are you done yet? where are the pics?

Well I'm done swapping the passenger rails and having the seats cleaned. I decided to remove the bottom frames as they were a bit rusty and we're working on those. Had to order some hog rings and pliers. 4Runner is still in the paint shop and I don't plan on slotting the mounting holes until we get it back and can take our time and do it right. My son wants all the adjustment knobs and levers and the driver's side skirts painted to match the brown interior so we have all of those at the paint shop along with all the rear panels to be sprayed.

I'm actually now thinking about getting the rear seats out of the 95 4Runner and doing the rear swap where you install the 95 cushions and skins on the 1st gen frames. I need to read up on that swap again and see how difficult it is. I probably should have just bought the rear seats while I was getting the fronts. This 4Runner came with the vinyl "deluxe" bench seat in the back but I put some brown and tan stripped SR5 seats and side panels in a few years ago. They are really nice seats but they obviously don't match the '95 front seats.

Pics will follow but it will be a few more days.

I just completed this same swap front and back. I opted for keeping the 2nd gen front seat brackets and cutting and rewelding some of the mounting brackets. I added my documentation to this existing thread: 89 1st gen Runner rear seat swap - YotaTech Forums

One drawback with using the 2nd gen brackets is that the pass side seat doesn't slide as far forward as the 1st gen seat, making it tougher to get in the back seat.

Ok so I got the seats to finally "bolt" in. When you use the original passenger frame rails you only need to widen out the holes front and rear about a half a bolt hole. I used a round metal file and it didn't take very long.

The driver's seat holes needed to be widened out much further, maybe as much as a full inch, depending on the hole, but there's plenty of material there. I've attached a few photos.

We removed all the adjustment knobs from the seats and had them sprayed brown when we were having the rear trim pieces sprayed. I also had the original and the new bottom trim pieces sprayed at the same time. The seats blend in much better than I thought they were going to.

I also went back and got the matching rear seats. They are in great shape. Next project is to swap the cushions and skins onto the old SR5 frames and install these into the rear.
Seats and carpet 006.jpg
Seats and carpet 008.jpg
Seats and carpet 009.jpg

Very nice seats man,it turned out really good War.Awesome job.

I wish I would have found this thread earlier. That's my writeup on Toyota offroad Resources. I did the rear seat swap in 2007, but the front seats were done around 2002, so its been several years. The truck was sold, otherwise, I would go out and clarify how the fronts fit, but if I remember correctly, the passenger side bolted in, and the driver side had to be stretched to get it to fit. At the time, I lived in an apartment and had limited tools, so this was my only option. I had to torque the rail over to get it to fit, and that did cause a problem with the seat adjustment.
One other note, comparing my 84 with stock seats to my 89 with the 2nd gen seats, the 89 front seats were closer to the dash than my 84. I didn't notice it, but if the passenger seat was slid back all the way, it still would put the passenger's knees closer to the dash. This was with a stock 2nd gen seat and 2nd gen rails.
The rear cushion swap was straight forward.
By the way, your 4runner turned out great. Makes me want to paint mine, but that will probably be a gift to myself when I promote.

I don't want to turn this thread into a classified but I have lots of left over parts. If anybody wants something PM me. Please don't post in this thread. Some of the parts I will toss and some will go in the classifieds. Here is a list of what's in the photo:

85 Deluxe driver's seat with torn bottom cushion fabric (probably toss)

85 Passenger side with good fabric. Missing frame rails. (probably toss)

95 passenger side frame rails (probably toss or free for shipping)

95 Taupe colored passenger side bottom plastic (classifieds or free for shipping)

85 Deluxe vinyl headrests (classifieds or free for shipping)

86 or 87 complete set of blue/gray SR5 headrests (classifieds)

86 brown SR5 Turbo rear headrests (classifieds). I also have the skins and cushions for these rear seats and they are in great shape (not in pic). (classifieds)
Parts 001.jpg

We got the back seats in yesterday. We used the new foam and skins and the old frames and trim pieces since they were brown and the new ones were taupe (trim being headrest and pull release).

Some general thoughts about this swap. The backs are easy. I've seen some people trying to use the new frames and move the latch locations but it isn't worth the trouble IMHO. The frames are almost identical and all you have to do is to cut the small slot for the latch in the new skins.

The bottoms on the other hand are different enough that I thought about it for a day or two before I just went for it. I did cut a bit of the new foam where a wire needed to indent but for the most part I used the new foam as it. The old frame corners unfortunately stick out beyond the foam at each front side corner. I cut a bit of the old foam off to pad this area and it worked just fine.

I was able to use hog rings in most places but did have to resort to zip ties here and there.

A few pics:
Seats and carpet 018.jpg
Seats and carpet 019.jpg
Seats and carpet 020.jpg

Now that thing looks absolutely outstanding! excellent job War.did you happen to take pics of the rear seat swap?i might end up with a 1st gen project here in the near future i would like to keep this as a reference when i get one.

Now that thing looks absolutely outstanding! excellent job War.did you happen to take pics of the rear seat swap?i might end up with a 1st gen project here in the near future i would like to keep this as a reference when i get one.

My sincere apologies but I didn't take any photos. Normally I do but it was one of those projects that went in fits and starts and when I finally decided in my mind exactly what we needed to do we just went for it and before I thought about photos it was done.

I can probably answer just about any question that you have once you get into it. Again, the backs were easy and straightforward. The bottoms looked like the old frames wouldn't work on the new foam but they do and they sit very comfortable.

no worries War,i'm sure it's not that hard to do once everything is in front of you.i make that same mistake when i keep on working and the puzzle seems to easy and then i realized forgot to take pics.LOL

Viper,
There are some more pics on the writeup I did on YT that is referenced earlier. IIRC, I had most of the same problems as Wardamneagle.

Viper,
There are some more pics on the writeup I did on YT that is referenced earlier. IIRC, I had most of the same problems as Wardamneagle.

That's the link in post 28. It was very helpful.

FWIW guys and gals, I forgot to chime in earlier, the older style passenger flip and tilt seat cable that goes from 1 line into two if ever becoming unavailable is also very similar in build to a BMX Gyro Cable. You can also pick up two cable knarps and mod the Gyro setup to suit your needs. You'll want a medium to extra long one and cut it down to size accordingly.

:cheers: Someone please post up an original Toyota One so I can see better how to make a demo one for you all?
ca-gyroUPR.jpg
cable_odysseyknarbs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom