2nd Annual Southeast 70 Series Meet and Greet and Trailride - Sept23-25, 2016 - Oliver Springs, TN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elkaholic

Left turn ...freakin wipers!
SILVER Star
Threads
Based upon the success of this year's event in Cullman, AL, planning has begun for the 2nd Annual get together. The weekend has been locked in (if you H8 it, blame @1978HJ45 and @peterb - I had nothing to do with it ;) ) and will be the 23-25th of September 2016. Based upon feedback for a more diverse selection of trails and terrain, we have selected to use Windrock Park in Oliver Springs, TN as the base area. We will likely utilize a hotel in nearby Oak Ridge, TN as our base of operations.

Between Windrock and two TWRA wildlife management areas (Royal Blue and Sundquist), there are over 300,000 acres open to us to ride with the appropriate permits so we should be able to find something for everyone! These areas are "pay to ride" areas, so there will be some cost.

Preliminary thoughts on a rough schedule center on trail rides on Friday and Saturday with Thursday and Sunday set aside as travel days. Of course there will be the obligatory BS sessions, but we have learned that those need not be scheduled :grinpimp:

We will post to this thread and update this first post with more info as plans firm up, but we wanted to get the date set and notification out so that folks can block their calendars. We would note that the "Southeast" reflects the location of the event .... foreigners (including Yankees over Charles' objections) are surely welcome.

Your unofficial committee,

@1978HJ45 @peterb @elkaholic

UPDATES - May 26, 2016

Lodging Info

I have arranged for a block of rooms at the Comfort Inn in Oak Ridge, TN for the Thursday - Saturday nights (Sept 22 - 24). All this does is hold a block for each of us to reserve. You will need to call the hotel directly to reserve the rooms at (865) 481-8200 and ask for the group name : SE 70 Series (catchy, eh?). Rates are $70 plus tax per night for double bed rooms. There are a few (very few) King rooms available at a higher cost. I may be able to add rooms to the group if necessary. The difficulty comes in the fact that we chose wisely for avoiding other LC events nearby and ATV events at Widrock Park. When it comes to home games for UT football ... not so much - the Vols play the gators in Knoxville that weekend. If you call and the block is full, send me a PM and I'll see if I can get more rooms added. Or use the WindRock ATV Rate.

The Comfort Inn is centrally located right next to Wal Mart and welcomes visitors to Windrock. There are restaurants and other hotels nearby.
Google Maps

The hotel is 9.7 miles from the main parking lot at Windrock Park.

For those that want to camp, Windrock Park has a good campground with tent sites, cabins, and RV sites. I have not stayed there but those I have spoken to say it is nice. I have not booked anything there, but would suggest that those wishing to camp get reservations soon. Campground info Campground - Windrock Park

Attendee List

member , rig , arrival date

Yes

1. @elkaholic , BJ74 , Thursday , Hotel
  2. @1978HJ45 , HZJ77 , Thursday , Hotel
  3. @WanderinWhitlows , HZJ77 , Thursday , TBD
  4. @peterb , 70something, Friday, Hotel
  5. @AndrewHadji , 75 Troopy, Thursday, hotel
  6. @Allen Stanion , BJ74 LX, Friday
  7. @Tennessee80 , FJ40

Maybe
  1. @ca18sean , HJ75 troopy
  2. Friend of @Tennessee80 , 80 series

Last edited:
Based upon the success of this year's event in Cullman, AL, planning has begun for the 2nd Annual get together. The weekend has been locked in (if you H8 it, blame @1978HJ45 and @peterb We would note that the "Southeast" reflects the location of the event .... foreigners (including Yankees over Charles' objections) are surely welcome.

Your unofficial committee,

@1978HJ45 @peterb @elkaholic
No you moved it even further away this time?
Well, hell - I gotta come just to piss off the old guy :clap:

He approved it ;)

Swing through ABQ and grab that guy too!

He approved it ;)

Swing through ABQ and grab that guy too!
Just to piXX me off, I am sure.

Hell, I might just go wheeling in Nueves Mexico.....naw

Hey @fireball - you coming South next year? :bounce::bounce2:

Well, you do need to bring plenty of :beer:

A few items to throw out to the BoD for consideration

• The hotels in Oak Ridge offer good discounts if you mention Windrock when you make your reservation. (I have stayed at the Four Seasons, Comfort Inn & Holiday Inn Express and they were all top notch)
  • Windrock has cabins for rent, plus tent & RV camping (if a hotel is not your preference)
  • Also at the camping area, Windrock has showers and facilities
  • GSMTR is held at Windrock; so if you attend both events, I recommend that you buy the annual pass to Windrock's trails
  • Could (should) this be a TLCA sanctioned/sponsored event? (if so, this opens options for event insurance via TLCA)

The 5th Annual Shuffleboard Championship (Ages 55 and over) is scheduled for the same weekend but I'll see if I can make it.
Yes, but will your SUV make it that far?

The 5th Annual Shuffleboard Championship (Ages 55 and over) is scheduled for the same weekend but I'll see if I can make it.
Make sure you strap the oil jug down before making the trip ;)

We chose the same weekend as this year then verified that there was not an ATV event at Windrock on the weekend in question. We are hopeful that there will be no conflicts with other LC events for this reason ....

Short answer is no ....

And there is no BOD, just three insane 70s guys ;)

...... "And there is no BOD, just three insane 70s guys" .....

Hold on Sam, lets tell everyone that there is a BOD. It makes us sound more important. After all we do have our own legal department. :)

I stand corrected by the Senior Statesman from Georgia ;)

I stand corrected by the Senior Statesman from Georgia ;)

"BOD" and "SENIOR STATESMAN" ..... Now I'll have to buy some new (clean) t-shirts to attend the event. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom