2H secondary 12 volt alternator install ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pistonpete

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello guys i am wondering if anyone would have or care to share some pics of a secondary alternator install on a 24 volt 2h equipped 60's cruiser. I would like a secondary system as i plan on a lot of 12 volt stuff (stereo, lights,etc…) And i just Get lost when reading or trying to understand the step-downs or converters, or…

Thanks in advance for any help..

You can get an 80A alternator to suit.. are you going to need more than that? I'm betting your light array is probaly no more than mine.. and my 80A unit keeps up with it:

hUhm3TK.jpg

If your engine doesn't have the air conditioning pump I would be running it above the 24 volt unit but you will need the extra pulleys.

That's the thing, i have A/C :bang: real estate is at a premium in there, i'm thinking the easiest way would be where the a/c is put the alt with double pulley than next to it the a/c ?? I know i have seen this before ??

Can we get a double pulley a/c comp. ??

Honestly don't think it's possible, but even more .. a good idea. to work would need to be AC clutch engaged all the time ?

I did order 200 amp alt from a 3RZ and I manage to make it fit in the same stock alt place with min mods .. guess you can do the same with the 150 Amp tundra / sequoia alternator .. and as you may think now, yes I'm suggesting you do the 12V conversion ..

This may sound strange but you could always run a shaft drive from the vacuum shaft from the 24 volt unit to drive the 12 volt unit but you would need the 12 volt alternator to have the vacuum pump to supply the brake system. :)

This may sound strange but you could always run a shaft drive from the vacuum shaft from the 24 volt unit to drive the 12 volt unit but you would need the 12 volt alternator to have the vacuum pump to supply the brake system. :)

Please tell me more on this as i have a 2x full 3b 12 volt setups in my parts bin, ??

I was thinking out loud and have never done the conversion but I have a spare alternator so I'll pull pump and see if it's posable.

Good idea... sorry for not answering your question, But after owning a few 24v rigs, i have learnt that the most reasonable setup is to source 24v stuff instead of 12v stuff. And it is just as reliable.
Run a small converter for whatever your 12v needs might be. off the top of my head i can think of this in 24v: (whtch i also run on mine)
-lights
-amps
-fridge
-cb and ham radio
-air compressor
-usb outlets
-winch
-cig chargers
-220v converter
and the list goes on.

I have decided against adding the extra weight of an extra alternator, bracket, pulleys and battery, the extra wiring setup and the potential of more component failure. Lots of headaches and extra cost.
I'm running my stereo and bmw seats from the 12v converter, thats it.

In the OP it is stated that you get lost trying to understand converters and such, running everything on 24v is a no-brainer.
Good luck on whatever you choose to do, keep us posted. :)

Any pics of the converter you are using, how big for how many watts ??

Thanks

Pete

I use an old waeco unit, 30A hardwired to a fuse panel, so I have constant seat power and memory for the stereo.
Accesories are then wired through key ON or ACC setting, depending on when I want it on.

Remember, 24v relays can switch 12v power, that makes everything easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom