2FE into an FJ80 – discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had been thinking of adding a T to my 3f-e, but other problems got in the way. Should be a good build.

You got a head on of the fronT end? Your trim looks similar to what I want to do, but I was thinking of trimming back the factory tow points and welding on some balistic fab shackle mounts.

How is the 2F breaking in?

As a furthur update, the motor is breaking in nicely. I clamped a wideband O2 sensor in the tailpipe just to get an idea of where the air fuel ratio is and was very surprised to find it running rich pretty much across the range and very rich in the flat spots in the powerband. It was getting down to 10.5:1 where the power loss was happening. I looked into a few things and found the spring on my VAF is shot. I can blow the door open with no effort. I had an unmolested spare lying around and swapped it in. Boy what a difference. The air fuel ratio is still all over the place, but stays far more consistent in the 12.5 - 16 range and it seems as if all the flat spots in the powerband are gone. I'll bet the gas mileage will probably go up a bit as well.

there is a aluminum cap on the afm, if you drill it out you will have acess to the flap spring adjuster screw .

i have a wideband on my 3fe it reads 14.7 idle, 12.5 when putting the gas to it, 16-17 when you get off the gas ,i think this is right where should be.

have played with air fuel mix by useing a adjustable fpr and tweeking the afm and nothing changes, the cpu does it's job well.

Sweet. I like the hood, nice touch. I think I know what motor to put in my 80 next... Would you be able to list what parts from which motor are used? ex. which rocker arm assembly, 2F or 3FE camshaft, etc?

there is a aluminum cap on the afm, if you drill it out you will have acess to the flap spring adjuster screw .

i have a wideband on my 3fe it reads 14.7 idle, 12.5 when putting the gas to it, 16-17 when you get off the gas ,i think this is right where should be.

have played with air fuel mix by useing a adjustable fpr and tweeking the afm and nothing changes, the cpu does it's job well.

The screw under the cap is an air bleed, pretty much only effects idle, think of it as the idle mixture screw on a carb. Under the big plastic cap is the adjustment for the main spring, adjusting it changes the whole range, somewhat like changing a main jet on a carb.

Agree that yours sounds right and when in closed loop the ECM will adjust the settings according to the sensor outputs. IIRC, there are times when it runs open loop, like a WOT? So if out of range at those times, adjustment may have benefit?

I used the 2f short block with the 2f cam reground with the delta camshafts 262 degree kc589 grind and resurfaced lifters.
2f water pump, 3fe head ported and polished with the oversize chevy valves that Jim C. recommends. 3fe injection. 3fe water neck. 3fe oil pump and 80 series pan. the oil pan required some clearancing so the rod bolts do not hit. 62 series flexplate and bolts. 80 series torque converter.

I'm sure I'll think of more things as time goes on. I got 17 mpg on the last tank with the new VAF sensor. I like that.

It was your conversion thread that caused me to look into the afm in the first place. The conversion has my interest peaked. Once i sort out some other nagging issues with the cruiser I may look further into it.

I need to find a 2F shortblock now... Good excuse to do something crazy to my 80. :grinpimp:

Good stuuf here! Thanks all for the info. I just dropped my 2fe into the 80 a couple weeks ago. So far I really love it. I used 4crawlers 2" body lift to deal with the radiator and hood clearance issues. The lift was super easy to install. I had to reverse (nut on top) the rear bolts as there is barely enough room to remove the stock mounting bolts. The fan shroud was juuust touching the fan so I cut it in half and did some minor trimming to make it fit. The lift made those pita bellhousing bolts a breeze to get to. I used a 2" umhw spacer to address the t-case shifter. While she was torn apart I also desmogged via spook's write up,(thanks spook!) installed 1/0 battery cables and removed the AC. I'm also running 2 into1 2 1/2" exhaust no cats dumped just in front of the ds rear tire. Not super quiet but it's not overly loud either. Kind of a happy rumble:D. I'm very pleased with the results. Sounds good. Looks good with the 31-10.5 BFG ATs.

Last edited:
Yay!!

Will do. it's a bit cold here. 30 below! So maybe just a couple pics.

That's because there is an entire population of old iron loyalists who think an utterly underpowered platform that gets miserable fuel economy but lasts forever is desirable.

1ZFE owners are stuck in the middle - it's not really old iron and it's far from modern power/economy specs.

It's a lot cooler to keep the old girl who knows who she is (xFE) or to trade out for the younger blonde (V8) than to keep putting up with some **** some of the time for the rest of your life and never be really satisfied (1ZFE).

Of course, you can always throw a little bit of money at that middle ground girl and get her a new set (supercharger) and all is good again because she'll perform like the blonde without losing your shirt and life in the process. Just be prepared to keep adding ************

Sorry, just saw this thread loking for something completely different, and I simply loved the analogies with the engines / girls! If it hasn't been done already, someone has to put this on a Toyota T-shirt. Kudos, very poetic!

Thought I would pull this to the top for some interesting reading for the newbs.
@RockDoc , I thought you might be interested to know that I have a 2f in my possession and am preparing to build a 2fe to go into my 1992 fj80.

:)
I've got 2 2FEs now, but the second hasn't been run yet (sitting in a project 55).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom