1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2F timing question (RPMs)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Guest, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This is a question for you experienced mechanics...

I just finished doing a tuneup on my FJ60 with the factory 2F in it. Reading the specs out of the Toyota engine manual states that the timing mark (BB) should be checked for 7 degrees BTDC with the distributor vacumn hoses disconnected at a maximum of 950 RPM.

Question....Does this mean I have to be precise and set 950 RPM to shoot the timing light at the marks, or does this imply a range of RPM...(e.g. between idle speed (650 RPM) up to as much as 950 RPM)? The alignment mark does vary either side of the mark dependent upon engine RPM within the RPM range of 650 - 950.

This was my first tuneup, and would be interested in others experiences and opinions.

Thanks

Dave

2. pismojim

pismojim the Dude abides...

I'm curious too, I had the same experience. The last time I tried to kick the rpms up to 950 while timing it at 7deg.

I'm inclined to believe it does matter. How much I'm not sure.

still listening for the experts....

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont think it will make much of a diffrence of the timing is slightly off, i've got mine set at 11. Gives the moter a little more power, but i have to run premum fuel. As long as it not retarded much below 7, and dosent ping when above 7.
    Later

4. kruzrtek

kruzrtek

Ok, here is your response from the master toyota tech that does this all day, every day!!
    Yes, it does matter a very slight amount. The reason they
    tell you to up the idle is to give you more of a consistent
    smoother reading. You should set your timing at an idle speed of 700-750rpm. Then you can align the BB to the pointer. That will be 7deg.BTDC. If you are above 3000 ft. above sea level, then add 2deg. for a total of 9deg.(10 MAX).
    Make sure you don't confuse the advance and retard vacuum lines. The port that is furthest from the distributor is advance
    The other one closest to the Dist. is retard. If they are mixed up, they serve no purpose at all!! And they don't always work
    as you rev the engine or decelerate. They are supposed to be operated by VSV's or vacuum control boxes, depending on model and emissions equipment. Any other questions let me know!!

Kruzrtek

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Kruzertek

Thanks, I appreciately the info... I've got two FJ60's that I'm starting to have fun with, and it's good to have a tech resource around! I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once I attempt to replace the manifold gaskets...

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!