2F problems, pressure in valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
I have been troubleshooting my 40 for a few weeks now, what started as a nice warm day to go over my 40 turned into a bit of a debacle. I have an 83 2F engine, desmogged, non-us carb in my 74, I rebuilt this engine 5 years ago , less than 30K miles on it now. When I pulled my air cleaner to check the filter it was saturated with oil being pulled in from the valve cover, gunked up the carb, fouled the plugs, needless to say it had little power. I cleaned the carb the best I could while I figure out what else is the issue, new plugs, new air filter, runs like a beast now. I rerouted the valve cover temporarily, now a ton of smoke is blowing out of the hose I routed from the valve cover. With this smoke appears to be oil/water mix, chocolate milk dripping from the hose. If I plug the end of the hose with my thumb it build up a lot of pressure in the hose from the valve cover. Leads me to today. Pulled the valve cover, with the engine running there is smoke coming from the oil galley holes and the push rod holes, nothing from around the valves. Did a compression check, both wet and dry.

Dry #s-120-110-150-160-120-170
Wet #s-140-120-170-180-150-180

I also put 100 psi of air in each cylinder for about 10 minutes each, no hissing, no bubbles in the radiator, never leaked down according to my gauges on my air compressor.

Any suggestions before I pull the head to inspect the head gasket, and cylinders?
Could it be possible that I have a piston ring giving me an issue, letting gas/pressure blow by into the crankcase?
PCV valve seemed to be in good shape, there is strong vacuum on it, from the cover side to the intake manifold.

is the pcv opening? if so, then I might be worried about the rings. your compression test is begging for a valve adjustment...

Thanks, I will look at the vavle adjustment, as far as the PCV goes it does seem to be opening.
One step at a time.
Thanks for the input.

I wound up pulling the head this week, looks as if it may be a total failure of the HG. It looked as if there were multiple breaches between the coolant passages,cylinders, and the oil passages. It was also split right through the center horizontally through most of the gasket. Three head bolts seemed to be easier to break loose, maybe they weren't torqued down tight enough. After I rebuilt the engine in 2011 I torqued the head bolts and did a valve adjustment twice. I also had my radiator take a crap on me last year, causing the engine to overheat. I have since added a autometer gauge, and a new radiator. Now off to the machine shop to have the head checked, and to finish cleaning the block and chasing the threads for the head bolts. As far as the cylinders go, they all are as smooth as they were from the machinist, I poured a little oil in each cylinder, it hasn't leaked out yet. Well time to get busy cleaning.........

Yeah, Felpro. I'm not sure the gasket was the real problem, maybe the person who installed it.

Well, I have been guilty of operator "head-space and timing" issues in the past myself. Small consolation though...I reccomend hoisting a fresh tankard this evening to gain a better perspective :beer: and plan your triumphant return :steer:. While it may not appease the finicky nature of the "Cruiser Gods", it won't hurt whats already done.;)

Well I have had no progress this weekend, time with the family usually comes first. I'm going to try to start rebuilding my carb tonight if time allows. Without pulling pistons completely out of the block is there anyway to check condition of the rings? The cylinder walls appear to be in excellent condition, I poured a little oil in each cylinder, 4 of 6 drained through after a few days. They all held oil until I moved them up and down a little. Just wondering if there is anything I can do besides pulling them out?

My 1st 2F, but recollecting from other engines, IMHO if there is no scoring, discoloration, ridges or excessive blue/black smoke coming from the exhaust when you accelerate or your adding oil more than usual, your rings may be OK. Maybe you might have only one piston with "questionable" rings. Regardless, a compression test will help you determine. What do the top of your "slugs" look like? Pics? Advice from a NEWB on the 2F. Any other thoughts from the "grand masters" of MUD?

Heads shots.

1427663058518.jpg

1427663072631.jpg

1427663082321.jpg

1427663093371.jpg

Did you have the head milled/decked your last go round before the gasket was applied?
Usually a gasket will fail because of overheating. Look for the gasket to have a smashed look or its real thin in the area that failed. I think your was burnt through? If you have a micrometer you can check for anomalies in the thickness. Has it run hot in the past? Check your cooling system. A build-up of crud/rust/crap in your Rad can be part of the issue. If its pre-ignition/detonation the gasket will generally "give up the ghost" around the combustion chambers. Do you notice any damage like cracks or pitting on the block or head? Take the gasket in all it's failed glory to the shop with you. If they are worth their salt they have probably seen it before....

Brother - That is the sum of all my knowledge from my shade tree small block days and may not be indicative of the 2F....

I just had a random neural firing (blame it on the 70's). If they decked your head and gauged it (IE it was flat?), was your blocked checked as well? Again, from the shade tree days there is a tool used by a machinist to check the deck flatness. I don't member' what it's called (again, blame the 80's). But I think you can rent one. Or, maybe you have shiftless Ner-do-well friends who could check it for you. Hope that helped (If not, blame it on the 90's)!!;)

Yes, when I had the head rebuilt the machine shop had my block also, they went over everything in the head and did all the prep work on the block. They did check that nothing was warped or cracked. I am definitely leaning towards the fact that when I ran that baby hot I started my problem. It still confuses me because I have had nothing wrong with my oil, and up until recently not a real loss of coolant either. I will try to throw up some pics of the HG here in a few. As of right this moment the only problem that I have found is the HG, I can not find anything wrong in a cylinder, or any play or anything suspect with a piston\ring. I guess I will find out tomorrow if the head has any issues.

I am with you, I'm leaning toward the overheat...That really bites...Take your gasket with you tomorrow. let em' have a look. Sounds like everything was hunky-dorry when you did the re-build. I am flushing "zig" out and adding a "three row" to the plumbing....! Everything was good (no heat issues) when I started the "face lift"..Soooo, I am going to cross my fingers and roll the dice....Good luck tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom