2F Head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay I took off the head this afternoon.... please look at my pics and tell me what you think.... I can not believe that the head gasket was on wrong... I marked it when I took off the head (btw they are really heavy) seems like everyhting lines up???? I was realy dirty but this is the first head I have ever pulled... so I have nothing to compare it to...

block 1.jpg

block 2.jpg

block 3.jpg
block 1.jpg
block 2.jpg
block 3.jpg

apeterson said:
I am trying to upload more photos how come it will not let me????

You need to purchase a silver star. $20. Look in your user CP.

It looks like things were right. Did the rocker support have a hole that lined up with the head? Maybe someone can pipe up on where the oiling comes from, I think its from a cam bearing. Usually there is oil in the head bolt hole adjacent to the oil passage... anything in yours?

apeterson said:
Okay I took off the head this afternoon.... please look at my pics and tell me what you think.... I can not believe that the head gasket was on wrong... I marked it when I took off the head (btw they are really heavy) seems like everyhting lines up???? I was realy dirty but this is the first head I have ever pulled... so I have nothing to compare it to...

View attachment 91362

View attachment 91363

View attachment 91364

Yes the gasket is the right way around.

and now some of the head, ok you will see in one pic here there was somthing (must be part of the gasket or somthing that was over a hole... what I dont know is if this happend when I was trying to lift the head off or if it was there... seems like nothing was really holding it on, and I can not believe it could block anything.

head 1.jpg

head 3.jpg

head 4.jpg
head 1.jpg
head 3.jpg
head 4.jpg

Looks like an F head. I don't see the oil hole in your picture of the head. You need to show us a close up of the 3rd headbolt hole from the rear on the passenger side.

I gotta go away for a couple days, so I won't be able to help for a bit. Good luck.

ok guys... I need more help... I looked at the oil holes on the head and the rocker.. blew air throught the holes and came through just fine... on both the head and the rockers... ( btw the head bolt that goes in that hole is not suppose to be hollow is it?) anyway so I took off the distibutor and used a 18volt drill to turn the oil pump.... took off the oil filter and the oil poored out of the hole when I was running the drill... put it back on and tryed for about 5 min. to get oil to the top of the block where the oil should come out of the oil hole... nothing ever came out.... so can anyone tell me what that means... I am begining to think that the head and rockers are okay and there is some reason why the oil is not getting there is in the block... Talked to my old man and he mentioned the Cam Berings? somthing about if they are not inline then the oil hole could be blocked as they move?? could the oil filter be so blocked that absolutly no oil could pass through? help please!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

apeterson said:
ok guys... I need more help... I looked at the oil holes on the head and the rocker.. blew air throught the holes and came through just fine... on both the head and the rockers... ( btw the head bolt that goes in that hole is not suppose to be hollow is it?) anyway so I took off the distibutor and used a 18volt drill to turn the oil pump.... took off the oil filter and the oil poored out of the hole when I was running the drill... put it back on and tryed for about 5 min. to get oil to the top of the block where the oil should come out of the oil hole... nothing ever came out.... so can anyone tell me what that means... I am begining to think that the head and rockers are okay and there is some reason why the oil is not getting there is in the block... Talked to my old man and he mentioned the Cam Berings? somthing about if they are not inline then the oil hole could be blocked as they move?? could the oil filter be so blocked that absolutly no oil could pass through? help please!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Oil goes from the pump to the filter, then to the main oil gallery. From there the oil goes to the Mains which also feed the cam bearings. The third main bearing feeds the third cam bearing. If either of these was installed wrong then the holes wouldn't line up. I believe the third main is the thrust bearing, I don't know if that makes it any more likely to spin or not line up. 5 minutes should have been enough time for the oil to get up top. When I rebuilt my engine, I did the pre-oil with the drill to make sure oil would get up to.

Thank you.... I am going to take it to a machine shop and have them replace the cambearings and make sure when they put it back in that it is lined up correctly...

do you think they will be able to do this without me pulling the motor..

apeterson said:
Thank you.... I am going to take it to a machine shop and have them replace the cambearings and make sure when they put it back in that it is lined up correctly...

do you think they will be able to do this without me pulling the motor..

I don't know. A cam can be replaced in place, but once you have the motor that stripped down, its not much more work to pull the motor....

apeterson said:
Yea I know... but I dont have a cherry picker so I would have to go and borrow one... how heavy is that block...

to take it the rest of the way out it is just 4 bolts, one on each motor mount and then 4 on the transmission?

The block is F'in heavy! I would guess at least 400, if not 5 or 6...... You can rent the cherry pickers from tool rental places.

Just disconnect the drive shafts and shifters and bring the tranny and tcase out with the block. Need a clutch? Now would be the time.......

Call the machine shop and see what they say, they might be able to do it if you remove the front bib and rad. I don't know the procedure, maybe Andrew can pipe up again.

apeterson said:
ok guys... I need more help... ( btw the head bolt that goes in that hole is not suppose to be hollow is it?)!

The head bolt that goes in that hole should be stepped down on the shaft so oil can flow around the shaft, on later 2F's all the bolts are all stepped, but I have seen some early ones that only have one stepped bolt.
if all your bolts are the same thickness something is wrong.
Butch

I'm not getting oil up and out thru my rockers, the tips have been blued from ill lubrication. 2F motor. I think my machine shop took my valvetrain rocker assy apart, and cleaned them, and put it together with the rocker shaft 180 out. I don't know yet. I'll have to find a good weekend

Motor must be turning over for the oil to flow thru the cam bearing, then to the rocker arms......it will not flow by spinning the oil pump with a drill......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom