2F Head?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by apeterson, Sep 1, 2006.

1. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

Can anyone tell me if this is a F or 2F head... it is on an 1974 F engine... I know that for sure... PO said it was a 2F, I want to buy new head gasket but I dont know which one to buy...

head 1.jpg

head 2.jpg

head 3.jpg

Thanks!
    head 1.jpg head 2.jpg head 3.jpg
  2. Degnol

Degnol SILVER Star

You will need the head gasket for a '74 F motor. If it is the head from a 2F, the compression is lower than stock. The hot setup is a '74 F head on a 2F. And make sure you get the gasket on so that it allows for oiling of the head. One way works, the other will block the oiling passage from block to head.

Ed

BTW, you don't happen to live on Pelican Lake, do you? There was a guy on Pelican who had several 40s.
  3. Degnol

Degnol SILVER Star

Yes, all the E-7/80 2F open chamber heads are interchangeable. There are only two casting numbers, IIRC, 61030 and 61031 for those years.

The 81-87 heads are closed chamber, casting #'s 61040 and higher. They will not work w/ the domed pistons that are in all E-80 2F's.

This is a quote from Jim Chenoweth. He knows a lot about casting numbers. Neither of the E>80 numbers are yours. Are you sure he didn't just put a 2F valve cover on the '74 head???

Ed
  4. lcwrench

lcwrench

It is definitely not a 2F cylinder head, as all 2F heads start with a casting number of 61***, all F heads start with 600**. Big difference between 1974 "F" and 75-80 2F is bore diameter, F bore is 90mm and 2F is 94mm. Crank throw is the same at 101.6mm
  5. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

no I am not sure at all.... guess that is what I am trying to find out... I live about 10 min from Pelican lake... do you know who the guys is... Always looking for people in my area that know about cruisers!
  6. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

What else could the guy have ment when he said "It is not getting oil to the top because when I rebuilt it I put a 2F head on it, because I had one laying around."

from my research here on mud I though he may have put the head gasket on wrong.... is that not the case???
  7. Degnol

Degnol SILVER Star

Someone recently posted that if properly installed, the head gasket will have about 1/2" overhanging the firewall side of the block. It is not a big deal to pull the head and see if the oil passage is blocked and install a new headgasket. Whether it is a 2F head or not matters not on a late F motor, at least as far as oiling goes. They oil the same.

Don't know they guy's name, just saw his cruisers from the lake side.

GL

Ed

If you pull the head, number your pushrods with some tape and re-install them in the same order.
  8. FLYINGLOW

FLYINGLOW

The ID of the head will be stamped right here at the front drivers side of the head (see pic). The ID of the engine will be on the pad down by the distributer.

As to the question about the guy not getting oil because he put a 2F head on, the answer would be that he used the 2F rocker assy which is usually oiled from ports in the block and head. The F uses a tube that comes up under the side cover to the rocker assy. OR he used an F head gasket where he should have used a 2F gasket. The 2F gasket has a hole that allows the oil to come from the block to the head. I think you could also put a head gasket on backwards so the oil hole doesn't line up.

Some later F engines had 2F oiling so this is not to be taken as gospel.
    head ID.JPG
  9. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

From your pic you have the 1.5F, which has 2F oiling to the rockers.

If you have no oil to the rockers, one of three things has happened (probably).
    1 is head gasket wrong way around (as you surmised)
    2 is early model F gasket without oiling hoe
    3 is he put an early F head on which requires the external tube.

All of these can be checked once you have the head off.
    (as can the bore size to determine which gasket you need)
  10. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

Degnol how is it that you know about the brainerd area, being that you live in Kanas City, MO? I work at Maddens on Gull so I spend time down there, but I live in Pequot Lakes..
  11. Degnol

Degnol SILVER Star

I have vacationed on Pelican for 35+ years, off and on. Very beautiful there, I am jealous. My friends have a place that is right at the east end of the road that goes to Nisswa(18), where the north-south road(Crow wing county 4) intersects and "T's. I think they have a couple hundred acres there including about 400' of lake front.

GL

Ed

12. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

cool... I know where that is ...
  13. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

14. Degnol

Degnol SILVER Star

The one for a '74 F motor. I would get the OEM one. And don't forget to retorque.

GL

Ed
  15. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

so the one that has part # 61115-10033

so you dont think I will need the "kit"?

how come the Toyota one is better?
  16. FLYINGLOW

FLYINGLOW

I would pull the head and check it. Did you look at the stamp on the front? Did you pull the rocker assy off to see if its oiled there?
  17. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

I looked for the stamp and could not find it... I will look again this afternoon.... I have not pulled to rockers off, but I know they are not getting oil...
  18. FLYINGLOW

FLYINGLOW

You might have to wire brush it to find it. Its usually under where the vavle cover gasket sits.

If you pull the rockers off then you will see a hole where the oil should come up. I think it will be under the 4th support between the bolt holes. There should be a hole in the support that lines up with it.

Then you have to determine the oiling configuration of the block and current head gasket.
  19. FLYINGLOW

FLYINGLOW

Heres a couple pics of the head and block oiling holes.
    2F oiling.JPG 2F head oiling.JPG
  20. apeterson

apeterson SILVER Star

Thank you!!!!