2F Engine Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I remember seeing that most of the people suggesting using 20W-50 oil for the 2F engines. Sometimes they say you can use 15W-40.
I came across this "jar" of Shell Rotella 15W-40, but it sated for Diesel engines.
Does anyone used this oil? Is it good? Any experience?

ShellRotella15W40.jpg

I know a couple guys running Shell Rotella 15-40 in 2F's. I haven't tried it yet but saw it on the shelf at a locally WallyWorld and the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

That's what I run. But, I don't have a 2F. Just an F and a 3B, but I run it in both of em.

:cheers:

That's the stuff right there.

That's the oil I run in my 2F

Delo 400, in my diesel and my 2F.

The newest flavor of Rotella T is SM/CJ-4 rated, which means it's API mandated to have no more than 1200 ppm of ZDDP, which is not enough for your flat-tappet motor. Period. Google it in BITOG and you'll see why.

You need to run an oil that is no more than SL rated to have adequate protection for the cam/solid lifters.

Rotella T is a very good oil, just not for the F/2F flat-tappet type motor.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/553037-cheap-local-sl-motor-oil-source.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/547677-synthetic-oil.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/480074-oil-you-using.html

Check out Valvoline VR1 in 20W-50. I run this oil in both my 40 and '60 TR3A (also a "tractor engine") as it is designed for flat tappet applications (higher ZDDP than majority of today's oils) and is one robust formulation. I'm in the lubricants industry (engine oil additives in particular) and I used to manage this account. I know the formulators that developed it and can tell you it would be tough to find a better product for a 2F.

Valvoline.com > Products > Racing > Racing Motor Oil Racing > VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

From the Product Data Sheet:

VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING MOTOR OIL
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is a family of race-proven lubricants formulated to provide high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API “SN” is recommended(see proper viscosity grades below).
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches(use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil).
The Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil
• The #1 selling Racing Oil of all time and race track proven.
• Protects against high-temperature deposits for a cleaner engine.
• ZDDP additive provides tough anti-wear protection.
• Enhanced with friction modifier to improve horsepower.
• Formulated with enhanced anti-foam system.

Last edited:
I run Cat DEO in whatever grade strikes my fancy for the season. Think I'm going to stick to 10W30 this summer. The Cat DEO still has a good amount of ZDDP and is not CJ rated (so far).

Cut and Pasted From Another Thread

Quote:

High ZDDP content is one of the reasons many of us run Shell Rotella T 15W40 in our 2F's. For years this oil featured one of the highest zinc contents of any motor oil. It was reformulated in 2007 with the zinc content being reduced from 1400 ppm to 1200 ppm, but supposedly the wear protection hasn't been diminished . Valvoline Racing 20W50 has 1300-1400 ppm ZDDP.

From Shell's FAQ:

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/CJ4/cj4_faq.html

Is Shell Rotella T motor oil going to have less zinc in 2007?

Yes. The API CJ-4 (next generation) Shell ROTELLA? T multigrade motor oil will have a slightly lower level of zinc than the current API API CI-4 PLUS Shell ROTELLA? T. Zinc is typically used as part of the anti-wear system within the oil. However, less zinc in API CJ-4 oils compared with API CI-4 PLUS oils does not mean increased wear. In fact, wear protection is one of the key areas where the API CJ-4 category provides improvements over API CI-4 PLUS. (Other areas include; oxidation stability and soot control). The new API CJ-4 Shell ROTELLA? T multigrade motor oil also meets the requirements of earlier API performance categories such as API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, as well as others, and can be used in engines specifying any of these performance categories.

And for anyone interested in petrochemistry and cam wear:

ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate, "zinc" or "zink") is an anti-wear oil additive that contains roughly equal amounts of zinc (Zn) and phosphorus (P) and is particuarly critical for correct lubrication of flat-tappet camshafts. The amount of ZDDP has decreased over time with the broad adoption of roller-tappet cams and the negative impact ZDDP has on catalytic converters.

Standards for engine oil are set by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and the International Lubricants Standards Approval Committee (ILSAC). Prior to 1988 API SF specified a minimum of 1500 PPM P. In 1993 API SG reduced reduced the minimum to 1200 PPM, and it was reduced again to 1000 PPM with the SL specification. A broad wave of flat-tappet camshaft failures started in 2004 following introduction of API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oil specifications which set a maximum of 800 PPM and a minimum of 600 PPM P for grades SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30. Initially blamed on poor cam quality control, it was quickly determined that it was in fact the reduction of ZDDP combined with more agressive cam profiles and associated higher spring loads that were the root cause. Testing that showed the new oils would still have acceptable ZDDP for flat-tappet cams was done with very mild cam profiles and very low spring pressures - not what is found in a performance engine. Note that as an additive, ZDDP loses potency over time, losing approximately 1/2 of it's effectivness at approximately 6,000 miles.

API/ILSAC Oil Specifications
  • Flat-tappet cam failures started with the reduction of ZDDP < 1000 PPM.
  • Based on this, 1000 PPM ZDDP is the minimum required level.
  • Levels of 1200-1400 ppm ZDDP are required for more extreme cams. What level defines too much ZDDP is unclear, but for street use more than 1400 PPM is likely not appropriate.
  • Oil change intervals should be no more than 3,000 miles.
  • Any oil marked API SM and/or ILSAC GF-4/CJ-4 compliance in grades SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 cannot have sufficient ZDDP

Has anyone found a better additive than the ZDDP Plus? I use it with 15W-40 regular oil in my 2F.

Hmm, lots of good reading here . I wonder how the odd-market oils like Redline and Amsoil stack up in this category. My '77 has a lot of lifter noise and oil could easily be the culprit . One thing that bothers me about this whole thread - everyone seems to be running very severely heavy oil . Efficiency will come at a cost , the engine really only needs a 10W30 in winter / 10W40 in summer....?
Sarge

Castrol GTX DIESEL 15w40 Still only SL rated. 1400 ppm zddp. Available at Autodrone. Change at 3-5K miles. Use a good filter. No stinkin' Fram.

I prefer synthetics in my F; would not buy a Shell product as Iran is their primary source of crude.

Unfortunately, there are fewer good choices all the time. In my fleet of 3 flat tappet motors, I have reluctantly gone to Mobil1 15w-50. Still has the higher levels of Zinc as the old formulations. Additionally, Mobil even says on their website it's made for flat tappet motors. Expensive oil changes but such is life. Check out Mobil's flackery:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Just personally, I'd rather have an oil formulated for the job, than adding various bottles of mystery lube fluids. I also can't be bothered looking for Amsoil/Redline etc.

I am really bummed they reformulated Delo. That was my stand by go to oil for decades.

I am going to look for that GTX diesel SL rated stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

The M1 15w50 is good stuff, but their numbers can not be correct if it is indeed, as listed, an SN/SM rated oil. In fact VOI's of the stuff usually list the zddp levels as significantly lower. API criterion from SM rated oils is no more than 1200 ppm SN (as listed for 15w50) is 900 ppm zddp.

I wouldn't trust it in my 2F.

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom