25 years is up, where is the flood of HDJ80's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it true you blokes over in the states have to wait 25 years before you can import foreign diesels?

Still no "Official imported diesel cruiser" thread, or maybe there is still some legislation preventing it?

I have a 12 on a RORO coming from Portugal at the moment. I had a chance to inspect them before purchase and luckily all came from arid environments. 7 of the 12 were low mileage embassy vehicles with about 90K KM. They will hit Baltimore next week and I will be listing a few of them here. Expecting to list for $8-12K USD.

jk... I wish any of what I said above was true

jk... I wish any of what I said above was true

:doh:

In the US, 91-92 FJ80s had drum brake, semi float rear axles. Is this the case for HDJs? What years have full float disc brake rears?

LandCruisers Direct has three for sale right now priced $19-23k.

LandCruisers Direct has three for sale right now priced $19-23k.
Id rather have a 2 year old Subaru for that $...
In the US, 91-92 FJ80s had drum brake, semi float rear axles. Is this the case for HDJs? What years have full float disc brake rears?

A $3-400 rear axle upgrade is a deal breaker?

Id rather have a 2 year old Subaru for that $...

To each his own. It isn't on my purchase list at that price either. But then, a Lezbaru isn't on my purchase list at any price :flipoff2:

All years of HDJ's had full floating rears, but the rear disk brakes were smaller/different on the '90-'92's.

1hdts dont last 25 yrs like the 1fz.:flipoff2:.....just sayin........look around craigslist at all the 350k + mile 1fz's for sale. its a joke if people think that 1hdts 'regularly' see 650k+ kilometers like the 1fz does. couple that with cheaper gas than diesel........and its not surprising theres no flood into our market.

Last edited:
To each his own. It isn't on my purchase list at that price either. But then, a Lezbaru isn't on my purchase list at any price :flipoff2:
I'm just glad to see Oregonians aren't the only people who think Subaru's are LAV's lesbian assault vehicles. I thought maybe we were just narrow minded over here lol. But seriously, No offense to anybody.

diesels don't last a long time? that's a first.

dont get me wrong- the 1hdt is a sweet engine..........its just not built quite like a 1fz !

1hdt- produced 1990-1995

1fz produced 1985- 2008

some of the earliest carbed engines had iron heads.....drool!

1hdt - meh..........your not gonna find a 1hdt making these numbers

when Supra dewds are grenading 2jz blocks over and over in the 1300hp range start looking for options.........they turn to the mighty 1Fz !

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/to1fzenpr1hp.html

Last edited:
image.jpg

I drive this when not borrowing her Subaru :flipoff2:

But if it was my $$, the 80 series would get overlooked for this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4952446806.html

HDJ81's had full float rear's and lockers available throughout all the years of production.

bugsnbikes has some kind of weird vendetta against diesels, which is evidenced by some very strange threads in the diesel section. I would take his opinion with a grain of salt.

A $3-400 rear axle upgrade is a deal breaker?

Deal Breaker, no. Good to know, yes. I had a 92 and 97 at the same time, much prefer the FF axles and bigger brakes.

I have a good idea of the difference between the different years of US 80s. Other than the change from 12 valves to 24 valve somewhere around 95??, I don't know the differences between different years of HDJ in LHD (Europe) markets.

Point was I would have been really upset to go to all the effort to import a 92 FJ80 (3FE, SF rear w/drums, no lockers), if I later found out if I would have waited a year a I could have gotten a 93 FZJ80 with rear ff, discs, lockers, more power and better MPG. (My 97 drove like it was 1000 lbs lighter than 92, better power, handling, stopping, mpg, even though 97 had a bullbar and sliders, otherwise both stock at time.)

What about just the motor and gearbox then, there must be thousands of standard 1hz's with the h150f box behind them available here in aus, not to mention the rest of the world as well. Do your laws allow you to fit an older diesel motor into a newer petrol 80 series?

I can only speak for California regarding diesel conversions.
The motor has to be the same age as the car or newer, from a similar vehicle (weight and purpose -- SUV in this case), the engine needs to come from a California certified vehicle (that takes away the possibility of importing a diesel engine which was never sold in California), and all original emission control systems have to stay in place.
Hopefully other states have less restrictions.

I can only speak for California regarding diesel conversions.
The motor has to be the same age as the car or newer, from a similar vehicle (weight and purpose -- SUV in this case), the engine needs to come from a California certified vehicle (that takes away the possibility of importing a diesel engine which was never sold in California), and all original emission control systems have to stay in place.
Hopefully other states have less restrictions.
Uh...most communist countries have less restrictions than CA. Yes to the Aussie, in fact, that's probably the most sought after conversion, but it's very expensive to import those to the states. Then the issue is spare parts, if you break down traveling, the local AutoZone won't have the part and now you're stuck waiting on the slow boat from China. We have a lot of cheap Cummins, Power Strokes, and even Mercedes. To a lesser degree, Isuzu too. Given that, it's far cheaper to put a non-standard with all of the adapters, reinventing the wheel, than to import an expensive Toyota diesel. I think the diesel restrictions and import restrictions have been two of the biggest disservices committed against the American driver.

CARB is at the forefront of changing the entire world in terms of pollution. The problem is that many state adhere to CARB rules and even EU is following in its footsteps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom