24V Warn 8274 vs. 24V Aisin upright & 24V Aisn planetary - no load line speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Data set #1

I had some help from my girlfriend this afternoon as we measured the no-load line speeds of a new 24V Warn 8274-50 and the 24V Aisin 1000 upright winch.

** All measurements in feet per minute (and layer on drum)**

Warn published data:

no load, fist layer of drum - 65 ft/min

Warn - acutal data:

1 - 57
2 - 66
3 - 76.5
4 - 85
5 - 96

Aisin - 150' of cable on the drum (45m)

1 - 50
2 - 58
3 - 66
4 - 73.7
5 - 81

The Aisin winch is considerably quieter, and seems so much smoother by the nature of its design than the Warn. All of the braking mechanism is sealed inside of the winch and flooded with ATF (fill and drain plugs provided).

The freespool on the Aisin winch is also far superior to the Warn in that it is totally smooth and very easy to pull the cable out since it's not part of the braking mechanism as in the Warn. The Warn braking/freespool system is sensitive to inertia when the cable is being pulled out and the brake can lock up if the cable is pulled too quickly. The brake can drag quite heavily on the Warn, sometimes making freespooling of the cable difficult. The Warn is extremely noisy due to the design of the clutch/brake mechanism.

The Aisin winch also has a built-in cut out solenoid that disables the power to the winch when the controller is not plugged in. The Warn has no such system.

The Aisin winch has a temperature sensor linked to a buzzer on the winch remote that sounds when the motor is getting too hot. The Warn has a temperature sensor built into the winch, but the wires have been cut off. My understanding is that in other markets, there is a cut-out solenoid that stops the flow of electricity when the sensor detects and overheat condition. It's too bad that Warn doesn't leave the wires to the sensor intact so that this system can be used if the owner so desires.

Hope this helps provide some helpful data for those who were curious.

~John

The above info was posted by me in the 70 series section in August 2009.

I am now reposting this here with the data for the Aisin AI1000 Planetary winch in 24V as found on some Land Cruiser 70 series from 1990 on.

** All measurements in feet per minute (and layer on drum)**

1 - 39.16'
2 - 47.30'
3 - 55.30'
4 - 65.83'
5 - 69.56'
6 - 75.30'

The total amount of cable on the drum measured at 146 feet including the hook (about 6" in length).

I'll post some photos of each winch a little later on.

~John

Looking forward to the pics.

Are the Aisin winches take-offs from imported JDM trucks or is there another source?

I also wonder if the Aisin winches are available in 12 volt, although I suppose converting a 24 volt to 12 volts wouldn't be too big a job for a good electric motor shop.

The ones I have are either currently installed on JDMs or are take-offs. The 8274 was on an HJ61 that had a PTO winch on it previously.

The hi-mount Aisin is currently on a BJ74.

The low mount Aisin has been turned around and fitted to an ARB winch bar on an HZJ77. Turned around due to the top winding set up from the factory not working with the ARB winch bar very well. I made a plate that mounted to the winch bar, then sat the Aisin winch into it.

The low mount winches are commonly available in 12V on the HDJ81s. The others I have seen are all 24V.

There were kits from Kiwi-land to convert the very nice (but somewhat slower) Aisin motor to a Warn. Try google for that one.

~John

Photos of Aisin Electric Winches

Here are the photos -

Upright winch:
IMGP6973.jpg
IMGP6975.jpg
IMGP6976.jpg

And some more -

As well as the Aisin planetary style winch.
IMGP6977.jpg
IMGP6978.jpg
IMGP6980.jpg

And some more...

...this is an Aisin AI1000 that I adapted to run on the ARB Winch Bar on an HZJ77 - the winch is mounted to a heavy plate (5/16") along with the factory plate. The winch has been rotated 180* to allow the cable to come in from the bottom instead of the top. It was this winch that I used for the line speed info that I posted above.

~John
IMGP6946.jpg
IMGP6951.jpg
IMGP6953.jpg

John,
Interesting fairleads on both Aisin winches. Are they a separate assembly or part of the winch mount? Both are well-protected in a different way than the ARB handles this task.

Hi,

Do you have overall dimensions of the AI-1000 winch? I specifically need the overall height and the overall depth

Thanks!

This is a a very old thread, and I don't have the AI 1000 winch dimensions as I have no immediate access to one of these right now.

Try the 80 series forum. Many of these winches appeared on HDJ81s coming from Japan.

~John

hey there. my LC100 vx limited has factory 24v winch like this and wondering whats the strenght capacity of the winch? i recently bought used lc100 and need some info ... :)

This is a a very old thread, and I don't have the AI 1000 winch dimensions as I have no immediate access to one of these right now.

Try the 80 series forum. Many of these winches appeared on HDJ81s coming from Japan.

~John
Hi John,

Ran across this old thread while searching for a controller for the 24v upright Aisin winch that came with my JDM BJ74 (of course the controller was missing). You wouldn't happen to have a spare (controller), lying around that you'd be willing to part with?

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi John,

Ran across this old thread while searching for a controller for the 24v upright Aisin winch that came with my JDM BJ74 (of course the controller was missing). You wouldn't happen to have a spare (controller), lying around that you'd be willing to part with?

Thanks,

Shawn
I might have a controller, but not in 24V. I can look as I'm unpacking boxes from my move.

They can be converted using a modern Warn (or other) controller, but you will lose the overheat lamp and buzzer.

~John

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to keep the overheat feature, and ended up finding a 24v controller on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Shawn

Hi guys I have an Aisin 24v hi-mount winch 24v A1-1000. I need to replace the armature of the motor. Do you know guys can i buy any replacement for this armature or knows who sells one? Im planning to buy this one if this will fit on my winch?

226265310_335128071573539_5991011563370273457_n.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom