22Re will not stay running

Discussion in '79-95 Toyota Truck Tech' started by 4WDBetterthan2feet, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 4WDBetterthan2feet

4WDBetterthan2feet

I am think about checking out a 89 runner but the seller states it starts but will only run for 5-10 secs before shutting down. Anyone know what the likely culprit is with this type of problem. Is it a common problem with an easy fix? TIA.
  2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer

Open Circuit Relay (under the pass side kick panel), or the MAF sensor on top of the air box.

Take a paper clip with you, bend it into a U shape. Find the Diagnostic connector under the hood, behind the battery. Jumper across the B+ and Fp cpntacts, then see if it stays running.
  3. 4WDBetterthan2feet

4WDBetterthan2feet

4. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Also consider the fuel pump.
  5. DanS HJ-45

DanS HJ-45 SILVER Star

Also fuel filter. Not a typical way for the filter to get clogged, but it happend to the :princess:'s 4-runner...

Dan
  6. thetrekkerguy

thetrekkerguy

dont forget about the resistor on the passanger side fender well. if the truck only runs for a few seconds it may be running on the cold start injector. also as stated above the check relay
  7. cruiser88

cruiser88

did you ever check the codes on your old 62........you do it basicly the same way?
  8. corax

corax

9. 4WDBetterthan2feet

4WDBetterthan2feet

Thanks everyone. I was to slow. Called and left the guy a message to come look at it and I never heard back from him and the CL post disappeard. He was asking \ 1k and the truck was from texas. I was hoping to pick it up for a song considering it was not running but someone obviously go to the guy before me.