22RE timing, insert distributor at 0 TDC or 5 deg BTDC?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So long story short, after swapping in a new 22RE, she won't start. It cranks really slow for half a second or so, then dies. Almost like the starter isn't getting enough power. And it's throwing code 51. It's got a brand new battery but I'm thinking some of my grounds are not where they're supposed to be. I'm about to redo them all, and ground the starter directly to the - post on the battery. Before I do that I want to make sure my timing is where it's supposed to be before I crank it again.

I'm getting different answers when I search. Some people say the Carbed 22R's are supposed to be at 0 degrees when you stab the dizzy and the EFI 22RE's are supposed to be at 5 degrees before TDC. Can anybody clear this up? I'm gonna try to attach some photos with my cranshaft at 5 deg BTDC, Cam gear at 11:00 or so (it's at like 11:59 at 0 degrees but the pic shows it with the crank being 5 BTDC), and the last pic is my distributor as it sits now, pointed towards the #1 cylinder (after being inserted with the crank at 5 BTDC.

Let me know if this looks right. I still got some time as I'm gonna work on the grounds before I try to start her again. But basically, do I want to stab the distributor at 5 degrees before TDC OR exactly at 0 degrees top dead center on a fuel injected 22RE??

Thanks in advance

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I fixed the starting problem. Turns out the grounds were bad. After replacing one and adjusting others, she fired right up. But she won't stay running. I'm trying to figure out if it's supposed to be at 5 degrees BTDC or if I need to get it back to 0 degrees and put the distributor back in

Make 100% sure you are on the compression stroke when you stab it (both valves on #1 cylinder closed). It's pretty easy to be on the exhaust stroke by mistake, and the timing will be 180 degrees off (and it will necessarily run like s***).

If you look under the hood you'll see a sticker with emissions stuff if it's stock. It will tell you where to put the dizzy at

The hood has been painted over so there's no sticker. I got her running, and I haven't touched the distributor or the TPS and she runs great. Even idles almost perfectly. Gonna check my timing with a timing gun later but I'm surprised at how well it's running

dizzy.jpg

Get TDC on the compression stroke.
Move the crank to 5*
Align the rotor to 12 o'clock position with the air gap as shown above.
Stab the dizzy and it should rotate to #1 wire on the cap.
The hold down bolt should be dead center of adjustment range.
To check timing: Without Te1 and E1 it should be around 12*. With Te1 and E1 jumped it should be at 5*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom