22re temp sender question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 x-cab truck with the 22re. I noticed when you start it cold in the morning the temp gauge shows cold like it should, but about 30 seconds after starting it jumps up to about mid-range and stays there. Obviously that is too short of a time for it to really be getting warm. Once it jumps up there the temp never seems to fluctuate on the gauge even a little.

I pulled the wire off of the sending unit thats in the top of the thermostat housing and grounded it to see if the sender was bad but the gauge remained mid-range. Plugged in, unplugged, grounded does not seem to change the gauge position. Is there another temp sending unit for the gauge in a different location? Any other ideas on what could be up with this?

Mine does the same thing, it always has. I don't trust it at all. Factory gauges look cool but they are notoriously inaccurate. My plan is to install a rack of Autometer gauges at some point.

Interesting, now I know it's not unique to my truck.

Anyone? Pappy? Is there more than 1 water temp sending unit? I could be wrong but I thought I've heard there is 1 for the gauge and 1 for the EFI computer. If there is, where is it located? I've only found the 1 on top of the thermostat housing. Thanks

Both my '85 and '86 trucks do this. It bothered me enough on my '86 that I installed an Autometer gauge.:)

Yes, there is two. One on the passenger/right side of the block for the temp gauge. The other is located on the front of the engine.

My truck is a 1992. Not sure if it changed over the years?

the temp unit in the thermostat housing is for the computer, there is another one on the intake below, the cold start injector, where the intake bolts to the block.
i do not have a good pic of it but it is in this section.
toy4xfun-albums-86-22re-rebuild-picture9134-mytruck-032.jpg

OK, thanks for the lead. Does anyone have a better picture or description of where the gauge sending unit is?

man you guys are some picky ones, lets see go out raise your hood and look on the intake it is right there in front of your face.:flipoff2:hope these will help you.
toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13451-mytruck-212.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13452-mytruck-213.jpg

Thanks! With all of the crap still installed I just wasn't seeing it, now I know exactly where to go look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom