22R billowing white smoke, sounds like choke won't go off (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

start at the back(oil pan) in the middle work your way back and forth..listen for where its louder. It should be obvious which one is bad cause it will be louder than the rest
Thanks for all of this advice, guys. I am obviously pretty new at this.

Where exactly should I listen with the stethescope? I want to make sure I'm looking in the right spots.

Thanks

also check under your oil cap if it looks white or milky you have a blown head gasket.

This rarely works. I've seen perfectly healthy engines with milky goop under the cap, just from condensation. And if the gasket fails into the combustion chamber (which it sounds like it has) then no coolant will foul the underside of the cap.

Once you're sure the HG is failed, then I personally would just pull the entire engine out. You'll have to take the head off anyway, and it's a lot easier with the engine on a stand. Once you take the head off, there's very little left holding the engine in, you might as well pull it out. Plus then you can flip it over, pull the pan, and plastigage the bearings. But, that's just me, I hate working leaning over fenders, and I'm too old now to be crawling under trucks to work on bottom ends. I don't have the patience to work around all that IFS crap either.

every one i have ever seen with a blown head gasket has this, and he stated that he might have oil in his antifreeze, my wife's 95 had the milk under the oil cap but no oil water mixage, and it did not have a blown head gasket, the intake was not torqued when the mechanic put the rebuilt engine in. so it was burning antifreeze like a blown head gasket.

It's common with heating and cooling of the oil, it's a natural byproduct but only can it usually be seen after a long long oil change interval......too long IMHO.

Yes, exactly, it can mean that you're not changing the oil often enough, but it can also mean you're only doing short trips, not burning all the collected moisture out of the oil. But it doesn't always indicate a blown HG.

...and he stated that he might have oil in his antifreeze...

Oil in the coolant will not cause a milky fill cap. This will put a sheen or eventually gunk in the radiator. You have to have coolant in the oil to see goop under the fill cap.

i have never seen the milky underside of a oil cap that the head gasket was not blown. and there is plenty of times i drive my truck just around my neighborhood for months at a time, and i have not seen this on mine.

hey though it could have something to do with where one lives or the type (brand) oil one uses. just have not seen it unless there is a problem in the engine.

There is no milky-ness under the oil cap.

However, I crawled under the truck with it running to try to pinpoint the noise is it making and noticed a lot of coolant dripping from the back of the engine. I couldn't definitively see where it was coming from but it looked to me like it was coming from between the head at the block... at the back.

I pulled the head to replace the gasket, send it to a machine shop, found out it is cracked.

I may be interested depending on the price...

Because of the knock I'm currently weighing either selling it (telling the buyer about the problems) just to rid myself of the thing or continuing my search for a new engine.

150 bucks........that's with shipping. I know the head itself is good it came from toyx4fun but I do want to clean it up first and inspect the area in between the valves . Just let me know.....no hurry
I may be interested depending on the price...

Because of the knock I'm currently weighing either selling it (telling the buyer about the problems) just to rid myself of the thing or continuing my search for a new engine.

I've decided to just put the old head back on, but I'm having some difficulty getting the timing chain sprocket back on the camshaft.

The thing that is confusing me that maybe someone can clear up is this: I have the motor turned to TDC. In this position the dowel on the camshaft and the spot where it goes on the sprocket are facing down, on the bottom.

In the FSM and Haynes manual it says to turn the camshaft so the dowel is facing up. Is it normal for it to be facing down at TDC? If so, do I just turn it up and then turn the motor until the timing chain sprocket is also in the right spot?

I tried to just put the sprocket on in the current position but I can't get it high enough to get it on for the life of me.

Thanks for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom