2016 What have you done to your 4X4 lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
New year, new thread.

After wheeling at KS Rocks I noticed on the way home the smell of burning oil. Stopped to get gas and popped the hood. Had oil running out the top of the valve cover down the sides and on to the block. 2fpower was with me and thought it could be the spark plug tube gaskets. It didn't make sense to him why it was so much oil but at least I had an idea to start with.

Took it to work the next day and started digging into it a little.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452280416.183737.jpg

It is hard to see in the picture but there is a bunch of oil coming over the side of the valve cover.

After looking a little closer, I could see where 2 of the spark plug tube gaskets had dropped.

With Kelly's help, I prepped a valve cover and ordered all the parts I needed.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452280617.453392.jpg

Took about half a day to fix and now the engine has some bling.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452280667.308152.jpg

Thanks again Kelly for all the help and a warm dry place to work on it!

Stereo Upgrade...Part Deux

Mitch has been saving up to finish out his audio system and Xmas put him in position. We gutted his rig Friday night and began laying it out. Started up again this morning and wrapped it up after the Chief's game.

Ran a 0 awg main feed to a 2-circuit fused distribution block mounted behind e-brake. Wasn't happy with any areas under the hood for main fuse so mounted inside above dead pedal...would've preferred closer to batt. Plenty of room under driver's seat for 4ch amp so ran short 4 awg from dist block to it and grounded at e-brake mount. Wanted the sub to be easily removable so mounted amp to back of enclosure. Ran 2 awg power to it from dist-block and grounded at tie-down bolt in cargo area. Allowed for a nice ambilical-like harness to easily be unplugged when he wants to take it out. Also ran a JL remote controller for the sub amp mounted in a switch blank on the center console.

Here's what he ended up with:

Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS
JL Audio HD750/1 Mono Amp
Fosgate P400X4 4ch Amp
JL Auido 12W6v3 Sub-ported box
Polk DB651 Door Speakers (installed earlier)

The boy b bump'n.
image.jpeg

very nice. Is the box going to just sit in the rear?

For now the sub is in a standalone enclosure with the amp affixed to its back so it can be removed in seconds...we will design a positive lock system to keep in place for now (weighs in around 50 lbs). It's a 1.54 sq ft ported design (24 1/8 x 13 1/4 x 15 7/8) so not terribly large and tuned specific to the JL 12w6.

Mitch thinks he will make a drawer system next year in Wood Shop 3 for the cargo area and will design a sub enclosure and amp rack into to it. Only problem with that is these specific JLs require an 8" mounting depth and are a super high excursion design...will make for a tall floor for the drawer system. In addition to its mounting depth, you have account for 3/4" min MDF for top and bottom of enclosure (1" would prob be used to keep lumber requirements the same). Then he will have to accommodate it's outward excursion to lay a protective grate/grill across so loading items on top wouldn't damage it which translates to 1" mdf as the drawer system floor which lays across the top the built-in enclosure face. If he goes this route then a sealed enclosure design will be utilized only requiring 1.0 cu ft. This makes the drawer set-up 11" overall height if he wants a flat floor. Other easy options would be to make it 10" high (level with enclosure face) but bump out a 1" protection ring around the driver itself or lower yet and let the enclosure portion rise above the floor. Either one of those choices leaves a less than optimal layout in my opinion since you lose the flat floor but I guess that's Mitch's problem, not mine. I like the idea of a drawer system but 8" height would be my choice and I would definitely want it completely flat in design.

For now the sub is in a standalone enclosure with the amp affixed to its back so it can be removed in seconds...we will design a positive lock system to keep in place for now (weighs in around 50 lbs). It's a 1.54 sq ft ported design (24 1/8 x 13 1/4 x 15 7/8) so not terribly large and tuned specific to the JL 12w6.

Mitch thinks he will make a drawer system next year in Wood Shop 3 for the cargo area and will design a sub enclosure and amp rack into to it. Only problem with that is these specific JLs require an 8" mounting depth and are a super high excursion design...will make for a tall floor for the drawer system. In addition to its mounting depth, you have account for 3/4" min MDF for top and bottom of enclosure (1" would prob be used to keep lumber requirements the same). Then he will have to accommodate it's outward excursion to lay a protective grate/grill across so loading items on top wouldn't damage it which translates to 1" mdf as the drawer system floor which lays across the top the built-in enclosure face. If he goes this route then a sealed enclosure design will be utilized only requiring 1.0 cu ft. This makes the drawer set-up 11" overall height if he wants a flat floor. Other easy options would be to make it 10" high (level with enclosure face) but bump out a 1" protection ring around the driver itself or lower yet and let the enclosure portion rise above the floor. Either one of those choices leaves a less than optimal layout in my opinion since you lose the flat floor but I guess that's Mitch's problem, not mine. I like the idea of a drawer system but 8" height would be my choice and I would definitely want it completely flat in design.

Or you could cut a hole in the floor and drop the sub through it. Would involve a little welding, but you can handle that.

Replaced a low pressure steering line and the power steering pump at Kelly's last night (thanks again Kelly!). Came out of the At&t store at Legends Sunday night to no power steering and a large puddle under the truck. Ended up being a low pressure line cracked and sprayed out the fluid, but since I wrestled the truck home about 20 miles, we went ahead and replaced the pump. It's never steered smoother!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452622224.774849.jpg

Without a picture it really didn't happen

Anybody considering a Headlight Upgrade I have to say it's well worth it. Mitch decided not to go exotic but swapped bulbs to the Phillips HIR1 (9011) & HIR2 (9012) without any harness mods. Simple trimming of the center mounting ear...plug and play. We did one side and tested and the difference was significant. Our all-in cost was $42 via eBay for all four bulbs. Don't expect a modern HID result but it most definitely has enhanced Mitch's safety at night. We also stripped the windshield tint (the PO actually tinted the entire windshield) so our result was truly dynamic.

Sweet. I have those bulbs in a box of stuff to install. I think that @half k cruiser had a posting somewhere about these. Rock auto price was even less than that if I recall.

Actually I just did the wifes low beams last night. I put the 9011's in there which requires you to trim the external tab as well as take out two small pieces of plastic on the inside of the connector. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get everything done using a blue torch and exacto knife. I think I paid $10 a piece for them from rockauto. Not sure what brand they are called but Philips of Germany makes them and puts them into the other companys box.

Thanks to stuck in Kansas. I was able to install the center console cushion with matching leather to the seats
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1453834897.565837.jpg

I have finally started getting my donor engine ready to go into Mountain Girl this Spring. Thanks Kelly for getting me connected with this and thank you Sam for allowing my head to ride with you to Columbia!

upload_2016-1-26_16-41-30.jpeg
upload_2016-1-26_16-41-30.jpeg

I plan to do all gaskets and seals, but don't intend on touching any mechanicals in the bottom end. I have no experience in that region so I'm adopting the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Hopefully it all works out. And when the weather turns nice I am crossingmy fingers that some cold beverages and kind words might persuade one or two of those that have put one of these back in a truck to help me do it; I'm in way past my previous experiences!

Cleaned up the diff so I could drain it and found a little water seeped in there at some point. I never sat in water and was always cognizant of how high the water was near the diff seals. Guess that wasn't good enough!

Front was nasty but the rear was clean. Nothing concerning on the drain plugs with regards to metal shavings.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I haven't seen it anyplace other than Oak Park Mall or a driveway I think. :)

If your steering wheel leather is looking bad, I highly recommend these, best price I found was on eBay.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454335267.599047.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom