2016 Tacoma Rear Bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody seen a build thread or anyone have ideas on custom bumpers? Mainly the rear. It is a 3 piece bumper and the chrome/plastic piece does not do too well when it drags across a creek bank!

Anybody seen a build thread or anyone have ideas on custom bumpers? Mainly the rear. It is a 3 piece bumper and the chrome/plastic piece does not do too well when it drags across a creek bank!

I'm in the middle of modifying mine with a hidden hitch and relocating the wiring through the license plate light on the DS so I'm not dragging the hitch and wiring all over the trail. Below is a pic and video of a friends rear trailgear bumper he modified with a swingout.

7 Pin Add.jpg

Video

livenDF80f.jpg

Link
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Rock_...15/i_0_0_3227/_300411-1-KIT.aspx#.VzzjePkrJQI

Noticed your screename, where in East TN are you? I spend a lot of time in Pigeon Forge and the Smokies my parents live in Pigeon Forge.

Thanks for this! I live in Maryville and work as a forester for a land company in the area. We bought a couple Tacomas recently and they are used off road daily. Love the 2016's so far but we were disappointed in the plastic bumper. Plus side is that they are a 3 piece. However, we were quoted $400+ to replace the daggum chrome piece on the drivers side. Mwe have decided to try and fabricate one to avoid this in the future. Your folks are right down the road from me.

Thanks for this! I live in Maryville and work as a forester for a land company in the area. We bought a couple Tacomas recently and they are used off road daily. Love the 2016's so far but we were disappointed in the plastic bumper. Plus side is that they are a 3 piece. However, we were quoted $400+ to replace the daggum chrome piece on the drivers side. Mwe have decided to try and fabricate one to avoid this in the future. Your folks are right down the road from me.

Nice, Maryville is a nice place to call home. Even better that you get to use the Taco's as work trucks and go offroad daily. I definitely think fabbing up your own solution would be more economical and sturdy for your application you could always save the factory bumpers for their retirement :) Or going with the trailgear bumper for the same price as the chrome piece. I'll be up that way for 9 days in October planning to run the Trans-American Trail through Tennessee to North Carolina to attend the Overland East Expo then spend a few days around the folks place. Maybe I can catch you for a beer one afternoon :cheers:

Brute force Fab makes a sweet high clearance rear bumper. He hasn't made one for the 2016's yet but is going to use my new one in the next couple weeks to get his jigs set up. Then he will have them ready to go. I can't wait to see and use it. Billy's stuff looks very clean.

Very nice bumper but not into cutting on the bed myself. I had a friend that went with a similar high clearance swingout bumper on his xtra-cab 2nd Gen where he had to cut the bed for it. The bumper was nice and functional but he regretted cutting the bed and going that route and wound up trading in the truck for a 4DR 2nd Gen. He started to get some running cracks in the metal where the bed was cut for the bumper.

Proline made a really nice rear bumper, no tire carrier or anything, but a very nice high clearance bolt-on replacement.

What, no love for the first and second generation Tacomas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom