2016 Moab pre-run for Ouray (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets go have some fun in Moab prior to the 200's in Ouray trip! - Updated dates as of 2-8-16

Dates are stacking up as such: August 1st through the 4th. We can meet up somewhere (TBD) on the 1st make a trail plan for rides the morning of the 2nd. I imagine we will be on the trails on the 3rd and possibly on the 4th for a half day. Then re-organize and make a B-line down to Ouray to meet up with everyone else landing in town for the 2nd annual 200's in Ouray. Please throw out any trail ideas (favorites or wants) here and we will add more next week after the holidays settle down.

New guys - If you haven't driven on shelf trails / roads before in your 200 then this is a great time to gain some confidence in your rig and your abilities. This will also help you better enjoy your time on the trails in Ouray and not be nervous when you start to climb into heaven on a goat path. Think about it - two beautiful playgrounds in one trip and thousands of killer photos by @kreiten to hang in your office when you return home.

Committed - (not institutionally)
@kreiten
@BTUMAN
@Atwalz
@Willy beamin
@steenh
@Canyonero

###########Most current update /07-21-16/ game plan####################
@kreiten
@Atwalz
@Willy beamin
@steenh
@Canyonero
@BTUMAN
With @Willy beamin having his priorities dead strait and coming in a bit late, I propose we meet (reservations confirmed for 10):

Where: Blu Pig
What: Dinner, Planning trails, refreshments (not necessarily that order)
When: Monday, August 1st at 6pm

The Blu Pig | A BBQ & Blues Joint | Moab Utah

@woody recommended this place and it looks good on Google.

Unless we have more confirmations I'm not aware of, there will be 5 Rigs to start.

It is probably a good idea to keep in contact just before we arrive or after we get there an during the stay in Moab. A group text might be the best way. Also, our real names may be better to use- (God knows I don't want to be called "But Man" the whole trip-
So send me the following when you can and I will put a list for us and send it out to just this list:
Mud Name, Real Name, Cell, State of Licence Plate (help with ID rigs)

I (BTUMAN) will be arriving the day before- Sunday and plan to go into Arches National Park and hike the Delicate Arch trail with my 11 yr old Daughter. If anyone wants to join up- great. Oh, also, who has kids again traveling with them? - my Daughter will want to know.

Other thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:
Lets go have some fun in Moab prior to the 200's in Ouray trip!

Dates I'm thinking make sense is August 2nd or 3rd through the 5th. Wake up on the 5th and make a B-line down to Ouray to meet up with everyone else landing in town for the 2nd annual 200's in Ouray. Please through out any trail ideas (favorites or wants) here and we will add more next week after the holidays settle down.

New guys - If you haven't driven on shelf trails / roads before in your 200 then this is a great time to gain some confidence in your rig and your abilities. This will also help you better enjoy your time on the trails in Ouray and not be nervous when you start to climb into heaven on a goat path. Think about it - two beautiful playgrounds in one trip and thousands of killer photos by @kreiten to hang in your office when you return home.

Committed - (not institutionally)
@kreiten
@BTUMAN
@Atwalz
@Willy beamin

Hmmm... Maybe I go to Moab with y'all...then fly my wife into Colorado or somewhere closer to on the way & meet me for Ouray... Hmmm..... That might not work though, as i'm sure you are on a tight trip schedule...I likely wouldn't have a way to get her. Either way, I'm in for Ouray.

Hmmm... Maybe I go to Moab with y'all...then fly my wife into Colorado or somewhere closer to on the way & meet me for Ouray... Hmmm..... That might not work though, as i'm sure you are on a tight trip schedule...I likely wouldn't have a way to get her. Either way, I'm in for Ouray.

Glad you can make Ouray and hope you do Moab. You can pick her up in Telluride. I thought about flying mine up also. She's not up for the drive. And can't do the trails with me due to her neck/back issues- the titanium plate and screws don't like the bouncy. Most likely the wife won't come with me but my kids will.

Glad you can make Ouray and hope you do Moab. You can pick her up in Telluride. I thought about flying mine up also. She's not up for the drive. And can't do the trails with me due to her neck/back issues- the titanium plate and screws don't like the bouncy. Most likely the wife won't come with me but my kids will.

Ah yes! I forgot that it ends in Telluride. Good idea! Thanks.

Ah yes! I forgot that it ends in Telluride. Good idea! Thanks.
Oops! Just checked... It seems no flights go in during that time...? Maybe because it's not skiing season?

Not sure. Maybe just for private aircraft. Just fuel up the G6...

Not sure. Maybe just for private aircraft. Just fuel up the G6...

Heh... I am learning to fly an ultralight aircraft & recently acquired a light sport with my uncle for pennies on the dollar... shown below...
...but the wife is afraid to fly the thing... ;)
IMG_1972.PNG

Last edited:
Out for Moab... :( Will see you in Ouray... :)

@Willy beamin, Can Moab be done in a stock configuration with sliders and AT tires?

Hi Guys!
TEX is Pvt only at this point. Closest airport is Montrose (about 1:15 north of Telluride). About half the time you will get diverted to Montrose anyhow (Pvt or not). Nice ride past Dbl RL Ranch.
Currently in Telluride, 51" +/- over past week:)
Cheers

Hope everyone had a great Holiday!
Sorry for the delay in answers - I have three small kids off school / enough said.

With Cody's most current 200's in Ouray timeline update it looks as though the meet up date is set for the evening of 4th.
I think we'll need more than two days in Moab..originally posted as 2nd-5th. Instead of meeting up on the 2nd I think the 1st might give us a better amount of time to explore Moab and be in Ouray on the 4th (mid day / evening) for drinks, hotel check in, relax and regroup time for the early morning meet up on the 5th. Last year we were meeting around 7:00 am and hitting the trails all day.

I have calls into some of the guys that have trail knowledge pertaining to Moab. I have "borrowed" a list of trails and ratings from the cruise moab website that has spelled out what equipment / mod needs may be (tires size / armor / rear locker). What I do not currently know is how CRAWl may play into these trails listed as rear locker needed. That is an answer I hope to receive. I also inquired, if possible, how weather plays into these trails during our timeline. Local knowledge is great. I won't assume the desert doesn't get rain in August and that rain doesn't make a moderate trail a bad deal.

The ratings are listed as 1-10. 1 being easy and 10 being most difficult. I would assume our group would be fine with looking at a starting point of #4 ratings as no problem.
Taken from Cruise Moab - Trail rating system :
Elephant Hill

Fins & Things

Road surface consisting of loose rock, dirt, and sand with some slickrock surfaces. Erosion, washes, gulches and rock steps no higher than 12". 4WD is recommended with good ground clearance and driving skills. Aggressive tires and limited slip would be a plus. Water and mud is possible.

Novice

31"

Flat Iron Mesa

Gold Bar Rim

Jax Trax

Poison Spider Mesa

Porcupine Rim

Wipe Out Hill

Road surfaces are rutted, rocky and sandy with steps not exceeding 14", with considerable slickrock surfaces. Water not exceeding 12" with some mud possible. Good vehicle approach and departure angles are helpful. Tall tires (33" plus) and traction added device (lockers, limited slips) is recommended. Above average driving skills are desirable.

Intermediate

33"

Rear locker recommended

Hells Revenge

Kane Creek Canyon

Metal Masher

San Rafael Swell

Kokopelli

Roads are difficult with considerable erosion damage repaired just enough to be passable. Water in excess of 12" is possible with mud conditions. Steps not exceeding 24". Tall tires (33" plus) with traction added devices (lockers, limited slips) are recommended. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and ground clearance are helpful. Excellent driving skills are recommended.

Intermediate

33"

Rear locker required

Flip side is we could run the WRT (http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm) as a stock configured vehicle would be fine. That trail took me two full days (no rush) and was excellent.
you'd be camping in the desert for 2 nights and hitting the road to a hotel in Ouray to clean up before the meet up on the 4th. Or San Rafael Swell Northern Loop which is another 100 mile loop similar in distance / length as the WRT.
Really depends on if the group wants to camp or go back to a hotel at night?

I'd like to run the big loop you did or the other one and camp in the desert, seems more like an adventure to me! Just my 2 cents, i'm up for whatever!

We may need to cosider:

For our time there the average high is 95 and the average low is 65. That low is around 3am. It does not get dark until about 9 PM (sunset at 8:30). There will be no escape from the sun as there is little shade. I said all this to say that sleeping will be most likely miserable at any campsite- in town or the trail. I lived in Utah for about 12 years and boated on Lake Powell with houseboat, or boat camping. The last trip until Labor Day was July 4th and that was pushing it- most nights you could not get comfortable until midnight- and the the sun hits you at like 6 the next morning.

Also, I'm just freaking sadly spoiled and enjoy a bed and AC when it's hot. Hope this doesn't come across negative- just putting that out there.

I'd like to run the big loop you did or the other one and camp in the desert, seems more like an adventure to me! Just my 2 cents, i'm up for whatever!

I'm only a maybe...so I my input here should only be minor...but would love to do the last-mentioned loop requiring fewer mods. ...simply because I doubt I'll have the approach angles (bumper) and lockers in yet.

Sounds like front bumper/winch and lockers are almost essential on some of the first in that list (MAN that sounds fun!). Those mods are definitely in my pipeline, but will likely still be pending at that point.

What I'll have by then:
-Wheels/tires
-Lift
-Sliders
-Roof rack

-Mayyyybe front bumper & winch...

Truth is...in all my years of 100 series overland adventures...I was always on my own and have never gone with a group...so have only limited experience with a spotter. Part of what got me into Cruisers was the need to get out of most any terrain when alone...and my beloved 100 never let me down in harsh conditions. In fact, I only ever used my winch to "rescue" other vehicles instead of my own... But I wasn't stair-stepping rocks. Was more heavy snow, and iffy terrain in the boonies by myself.

Either way...I'm for sure on Ouray & would love to do both!

Last edited:
@Markuson - the first time I ever wheeled all I had was sliders. If I had no other mods- that would be the single most important one. Thankfully, a lift and tires are simple seconds. I think you will ne fine with stock bumpers. These bumbers flex a lot with only scratches on the bottom side. Hope you can make it.

@Markuson - the first time I ever wheeled all I had was sliders. If I had no other mods- that would be the single most important one. Thankfully, a lift and tires are simple seconds. I think you will ne fine with stock bumpers. These bumbers flex a lot with only scratches on the bottom side. Hope you can make it.

OK. Thank you for input there.
My cautious comments were based on the description that mentioned need for lockers, etc. My tires are really only 32.6... Might switch to 34's by then... Will definitely have sliders.

As for possible stock bumper damage? Frankly don't care if they get screwed up, so long as there's enough material left to cut for ARB front & (Hopefully soon) Slee rear. Heck... Maybe damaging them would be just the ticket to get me wifey to roll with new bumpers... heh heh heh... ;)

Last edited:
I tried to tear off the rear bumper for two years and about 6 trips and finally just had to remove it and put on ARB. Great news is that several of us have winches...

Sounds like fun guys. Tammy and I are so busy this year, we still don't anticipate we'd be able to make Moab or Ouray, but I'm happy to share what I know of Moab. I've run Kane Creek, Poison Spider and Golden Spike and I wouldn't take the 200 on any of those trails for fear of (too much) damage:crybaby::doh:

First, every geographical area seems to have it's own personality and way it stresses or endangers your rig. For Moab, I'd say you spend more time on your rear bumper than anywhere else. Although I spent a little time on my rear driveshaft as well:D

Second, I went during Cruise Moab and we got poured on A LOT. Even though it's called "slickrock", it's quite sticky. Wet, dry and even in what's essentially a flowing river/waterfall, So I wouldn't worry about that myself...

Kane Creek (I think there was a bypass for this section though):

Kane Creek (I think there was a bypass for this section though):

Don't believe there is a bypass On the waterfall, thats what that looks like but I could be mistaken. Broke my 80 in that spot because I forgot to disengage the front locker before backing up. Taught me to very stingy with the front locker use

I'll be breaking the 200 in at Cruise Moab, that national cruiser event put on by my club at the end of April. I generally lead 1-2 trails. I like Fins and things which is a good trail with challenges but not enough that there is risk of damage

Gold Bar Rim is a good easier one as long as you watch for the hole at the bottom of the hill. I can send a pic of anyone wants one.

Poison Spyder Mesa is a lot of fun

Hells Revenge

Wipe Out Hill

Metal Masher

JAX TRAX is easy and scenic but will create a lot of pinstripes on your rig.

Kane creek tends to create pin stripes depending on the sdtate of the bushes in the river

Kokepelli and the swell are not near Moab they are longer overnight runs. Kokepelli actually starts in Colorado

I really enjoyed white Rim Canyon. Some of the best scenery around and nothing that would cause damage. Would recommend this way above Arches.

I have been going to Moab for twelve years, so let me know if you have questions

If you can make Cruise Moab, I highly recommend it. The trails are fun, but the after trail time is even better. You will find me camped next to CruiserDan in the back row if you want to stop and have a beer

Registration typically opens up by the end of January

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom