2014 Tacoma double cab - Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team #180 will be competing in the 26th annual Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles this week in Morroco, Africa. I will post updates about the rallye and the progress of our 2014 Toyota Tacoma double cab once the event starts tomorrow. I posted all of the Tacoma specs below. Please let me know if you have any questions about the truck.

More about the Rally:

This is a female only rallye that is known as a race of strategy, not a race for speed. There are no electronic devices permitted in the vehicles, no cell phones and no outside assistance. For 9 days the girls will drive over 1100 kilometers through the Sahara desert navigating the shortest distance to check point flags using 1950's black and white maps.

Nicole Pitell-Vaughan will be driving in their 2014 Toyota Tacoma double cab and Chrissie Beavis will be navigating. Nicole is the co-founder and Director of Operations at Total Chaos Fabrication Inc. and races in the MORE and Best in the Desert series. Chrissie is one of the most respected and decorated female rally racers in the US and currently navigates for #199 Travis Pastrana in the Rally America National Championship series.

Video: Team TOTAL CHAOS / CRC Train for the 2016 Gazelle Rallye

Follow the rally live at:
Erfoud: Verifications Morocco - Rallye Aïcha des gazelles

For Team #180 specific updates visit:
TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION – 2015 GAZELLE RALLYE — High Performance Off Road Suspension

Vehicle Specifications:
2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD

Front Suspension:
- TOTAL CHAOS +2” Race Series Long Travel Kit
- TOTAL CHAOS 4340 Axleshafts
- TOTAL CHAOS Secondary Shock Hoops
- TOTAL CHAOS Heavy Duty Spindle Gussets
- TOTAL CHAOS Alignment Cam Tab Gussets
- King-TC LT Specific 2.5” Coilover Shocks
- King-TC LT Specific 2.5” External Bypass Shocks w/ Quick Adjust Knobs

Rear Suspension/Axle:
- DMZ Fab & Race Prep SUA Kit
- Deaver SUA Leafsprings
- King 2.5” x 14” External Bypass Shocks w/ Quick Adjust Knobs
- Custom TOTAL CHAOS Under the Bed Shock Hoops
- TOTAL CHAOS Bolt-on Rear Bumpstop Mounting Kit
- King 2.0” Hydraulic Bumpstops
- 1.50" Synergy wheel spacers

Body/Exterior:
- Glassworks Unlimited Fiberglass Front Fenders
- TOTAL CHAOS Custom Fiberglass Bumper Pods
- Glassworks Unlimited Rear Bedsides
- Paint by Mike Callaway

Wheels/Tires:
- TRD Wheels 16”x8”
- BFGoodrich KO2 285/75R16

Other Equipment:
- TRD 4.0L Supercharger
- K&N Custom FilterCharger - Custom TOTAL CHAOS Front Bumper/Skidplate
- Warn Winch
- Baja Designs Squadron XL’s on electric actuator
- Baja Designs LED Work Lights, Dust Lights, Dome Lights
- Custom TOTAL CHAOS Rear Bumper
- Synergy Sit, Shower, Shave Kit
- Custom TOTAL CHAOS Aluminum Fresh Water Tank

See more detailed photos of the truck at TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION
tacoma.jpg
2016-team180-gazelle-rallye-total-chaos-3-20-001.jpg
2016-team180-gazelle-rallye-total-chaos-3-20-002.jpg
2016-team180-gazelle-rallye-total-chaos-3-20-003.jpg

Here are a bunch of photos from Emme Hall, team 178 in their Land Rover Defender. Some of our Tacoma are in there also. Today is the prologue which determines the starting order of the first stage tomorrow.

943854_709403095017_886953883454787017_n.jpg

998978_709402965277_7609997577440215067_n.jpg

1170859_10156675563695717_5951732545256171882_n.jpg

1479509_709207796397_8744246268839785239_n.jpg

1934553_709498284257_8782137945084198182_n.jpg

The prologue is over and Team Amercian Chaos did great. Here is the info and a few photos from the PR that went out tonight.

March 23rd, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – With the Erg Chebbi dunes in the background and a sandstorm looming overhead, the 26th edition of the Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles began today with the Prologue near the gateway to the Sahara – Erfoud, Morocco.

Morocco has ideal yet challenging driving terrain

The Prologue is a short warm-up loop for teams to practice driving and navigation skills. The day did not count toward the overall score for teams in the 4×4 class, but established the start order for the first day of competition. And for Team #180 American Chaos, Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis, the Prologue meant more than just testing out the truck.

“The fact that we made it to the Prologue despite vehicle transportation hurdles said a lot about our entire team. It wasn’t easy the last few weeks, but things finally clicked. We used today to shake off the cobwebs and get a decent start draw,” stated Pitell-Vaughan.

Beavis and Pitell-Vaughan ready for the storm

Today’s Prologue was straightforward with four checkpoints (CPs) in an ideal distance of 45 km with flat, easy terrain. Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis reached every CP, and headed back to the bivouac with ease.

“The Prologue sets the stage and we nailed our checkpoints today. Despite the logistics issues with the CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma, its all behind us and now its rally time,” said Pitell-Vaughan. We had a great day! The next eight are really going to challenge us.

For many competitors including the experienced, the day represented their first time together as a team, established team dynamics, and ironed out communication. For teams who performed well, being in the better placed group on Leg 1 will have its advantages but can’t predict an outcome.

The CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma

“Until after the first day, you really can’t tell how serious the competition is,” said Beavis. “Even the Prologue doesn’t really let you know who you will be running with, and a team’s ranking in past events doesn’t mean anything a year later with different equipment.”

As three-time Gazelle competitor Beavis alluded to, anything can happen in the rally. The competition can change even on the last day of competition and reconfigure top rankings thanks in part to its unique format.

Team #180 at Checkpoint 2

Rally Format

Many rallies are based near the foot of the Merzouga and Erg Chebbi dunes, but the Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles stands out in its format – teams of two drive off-road and navigate to set CPs over nine days using a compass, outdated maps, and ruler. No GPS, no cell phones, and no support crews. The goal is not speed rather the shortest distance between CPs.

As teams dig deeper into the competition the next few days, some may become more comfortable and less focused as exhaustion sets in. Scores can be set based on something as simple as how a team decides to drive around a rock or a set of trees. This year’s competition should be no exception, with even the slightest variations and last-minute decisions affecting a score.

Follow Team #180 American Chaos

Live tracking of teams will begin on the official first day of competition, March 24th, at 6 a.m. local time (11 p.m PST) on the rally website.

Here is the recap of yesterdays stage.

March 24th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – This morning at 6 a.m.,162 international teams began their first official competition day in the 26th Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles. With low visibility from raging windstorms and blinding conditions at times, the rally showed many competitors they can plan for everything, and nothing may go according to plan.

Teams at the start line

Team #180 American Chaos was one team that sailed smoothly into the storm. Coming off a second place in yesterday’s unscored prologue, Beavis and Pitell-Vaughan’s skills lead them to a dead-on competition day where they nailed all six checkpoints. The Leg consisted of a 105 km looped leg with estimated time of 8.5 hours. A wide, flat zone greeted teams with rugged terrain later setting in. Beavis was able to keep a seemingly flawless straight heading over a long distance, demonstrating what a top finish track looks like.

Beavis and Pitell-Vaughan plotting their final checkpoint of the day

“My overall anxiety this year is pretty low compared to the first year I did the rally,” said Beavis. “Last year the limitations of our vehicle in the Crossover class was my biggest concern, so I’m much more at ease in the TC Taco.”

Known as one of the toughest all-female sporting events on the planet, physically and mentally the rally is exhausting. Beavis has taken cue from her past two rallies coming into her third.

“I know now how to just take it one flag at a time, and by breaking down your anxiety that way, it becomes very manageable,” stated Beavis. They was the first American team back to the bivouac today, and it’s anticipated they will be in the top five of their 4×4 class when the Leg’s rankings post Friday.

The “Morocco Taco”

Teams in the rally will now begin to feel the heat. Long days inside the vehicle together while the weather is playing tricks on them can be strenuous. Communication is key.

“I don’t expect any of this rally to be easy,” said Pitell-Vaughan. “We have an amazing team inside our CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma and with the USA Gazelles. Keeping a positive attitude and taking care of one another are going to be key factors in this rally.”

Change-ups can happen at any time during the competition, but starting and staying strong is important. To win, teams must not make mistakes and continue to have good days out on the Legs.

Gazelle Spirit in full affect as Team #180 assist another team

A Day in the Life

Every minute counts for the “Gazelles,” and teams need to make the most of time. Days are long with a short amount of time from bivouac arrival to unpacking the vehicle, organizing the next day, fueling, and getting into the mechanics area before a penalty can kick in. Tools, food, clothing, and gear all need to be in their designated location to avoid loosing equipment. That said, even packing can be considered a strategy as wasted minutes over something like unsecured gear can have consequences.

“4 a.m. wake-up calls are no joke, and we have a clear set of rules for for the team. Every morning will be a system of tear down by Chrissie. I run to the impound area, grab the truck and make any necessary repairs. Then we pack up, check out the staging line, park, plot, eat, and hit the ground running.”

Checkpoint time!

Coming up

The next seven days of competition will include two Marathon Legs – days where teams camp on their own and scores begin to separate as fatigue sets in. The last day of competition is March 31st, and final results will be presented on Saturday, April 2nd, at a gala held in the iconic coastal town of Essaouira, Morocco.

Friendly spectators

Follow Team #180 American Chaos

Live tracking of teams begins at 6 a.m. local time (11 p.m PST) on the rally website.

Rankings

Rankings from each Leg are not official until noon local time the next day. Official rankings can be pulled from the website:

www.rallyeaichadesgazelles.com

The team was still in first after yesterdays stage. Here is the info and photos that came in last night. I'm still waiting for everything from todays stage.

March 25th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – There are only eight American teams competing in the Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles this year, and three of them began today’s Leg in an impressive top ten of their 4×4 class. Leading the way in first place was Team #180 Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis in their CRC/TOTAL CHAOS 2014 Toyota Tacoma.

The “Morocco Taco” handling the rugged terrain

Team #180, who came in second in the unscored Prologue on Wednesday, piloted their way to all their checkpoints on Leg 2. The course was 115 km with an estimated time of 9 hours. Terrain varied from rocky sections to flat plains and low walls.

Views from just about anywhere in the competition are breathtaking

A feature synonymous with the rally, a wide oued (dried out riverbed), greeted teams about halfway through the course. Competitors were cautioned during the morning briefing to take the trail option as opposed to drive straight across levels of difficulty that could pose a threat to even the most capable vehicles.

Beavis and Pitell-Vaughan handled the landscapes today in focused competition mode, fully aware that keeping their momentum up throughout the next six days is key as the rally is really won on the final few Legs.

“The top competitors will all be close at the end,” stated Pitell-Vaughan. “There are great drivers who have done this rally for several years now. Being only my second year, the terrain is still very new. I’m learning as I go. Chrissie has an advantage with navigation and reading the maps since this is her third year.”

Beavis in her element

Beavis, who as a navigator is a two-time X Games medalist, also happens to be a student pilot. Like navigators in the rally, airplane pilots must also use headings and distances and have a strong sense of mechanics to check for any issues. Her experience and skill in the sky certainly do not hurt the team.

“I actually have suspended my training while we are working on our house, but I hope to resume flying next year,” said Beavis. “I fly small planes around San Diego and have had a few chances to fly in aerobatic planes which is what I want to do eventually. There are definitely a lot of parallels with being a navigator in this rally and a pilot in the air.”

Miles of sand

Coming Up

Two words come to mind with the Marathon Legs – grueling and dunes. Teams will head off to their first Marathon Leg tomorrow and camp out under the night sky in groups together. For some, the exhaustion from the long days is counteracted by a break away from the norm of the competition.

“To me, the Marathon Legs are really what the rally is all about,” stated Pitell-Vaughan. “They definitely give you the ability to relax and connect with your time and space on the globe. Taking it all in and checking out the stars is awesome.”

Go Time

Plus, Pitell-Vaughan, an experienced driver and racer, truly enjoys time behind the wheel during the Marathon and especially the dunes. “I’m really looking forward to driving the dunes tomorrow. I actually love the entire adventure that is the Marathon Leg.”

Beavis has a new perspective heading into the dunes this year, and with Pitell-Vaughan steering the Tacoma, is looking forward to the challenge.

“Nicole is awesome in the dunes,” Beavis said. “After testing out in Glamis, I have a whole new appreciation for the sand. In past years I was downright scared of it; seriously, I’d get anxious just looking at the little dots on the map that mean ‘sand’. But now those dots mean fun.”

Watch Team #180’s performance in their first Marathon Leg together live via the link below:

LIVE TRACKING

starts Saturday 6 a.m. local time (11 p.m PST)

Rankings
Rankings from each Leg are not official until noon local time the next day on the official rally website:
MEDIA INQUIRES

David Brumbley

media@chaosfab.com

All Photos: Maïenga

Here is the recap after the 2 day marathon stage that happened over the weekend.

March 27th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – The Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles has officially hit the midway mark with four competition days down and four to go. With that comes some serious heat in the top ten of the 4×4 class, as pressure mounts for leaders in the rankings and contenders for the top. For Team #180 American Chaos Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis, they began the first of two Marathon Legs on Saturday ahead of the pack in overall score but with little room for error – second place Team #179 Régine Zbinden and Ela Steiner trailed them in an exceptionally close .77 points away.

Pitell-Vaughan, the CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma, and Erg Chebbi

They Don’t Call It a Marathon Leg for Nothing

The ideal distance for the two-day Leg 3 was 230 km with 14 CPs total and 5 of them in the dunes. For those in the 4×4 class, day one “Dunes Day” brought route options through the famed Erg Chebbi dunes – teams chose from three routes based on their experience and expertise. Route X was the most advanced, surrounded by steep peeks and tricky decision making. Maintaining smart decisions in both navigating and driving here were a must. Pitell-Vaughan and Beavischose X, an obvious choice for teams looking to hold court. Although the team had kept strong momentum so far, it was definitely reachable.

Home sweet home

Going into the dunes, Beavis was optimistic. “The Morocco Taco absolutely has enough power to climb the steep slopes of Erg Chebbi, and the peaks make it easy to navigate.”

The truck’s custom suspension, Toyota TRD Supercharger and traction with the BFGoodrich tires gave Pitell-Vaughan confidence going in. Still, competitors try and abide by at least one rule – don’t break your car. It is your third Gazelle.

“Keeping a vehicle together for nine days out here is no easy task,” said Pitell-Vaughan. “The rocks rattle the truck apart – we had rear diff bolts rattle loose last year!, The sand dunes are technical and driving straight is more challenging than you can imagine both mentally and physically.”

Navigator Chrissie Beavis

Team #180’s lines through the X route were seemingly well-placed in all five CPs as they set a solid pace through the dunes. From there, they continued on to nail all CPs on day one. Day two’s brought tackling the wide Oued Rhéris, rough terrain and difficult features to identify, which brought the team back to the bivouac after dark Sunday evening.

The rally is now beginning to weed out competitors, filtering teams through fatigue, dehydration, exhaustion, and 14 hour days in the vehicle. Competition in the top ten is especially fierce.

With other teams in the top five performing well over the weekend including fourth place American Team #107 Susanah and Jo Hannah Hoehn, Team #180 cannot get too comfortable. Then again, if you know Pitell-Vaughan’s motto, “Life is CHAOS! Get out and live it…..” we can’t imagine this is a team that’ll take it easy.

A highlight of the rally – the Erg Chebbi dunes

LIVE TRACKING

6 a.m. local time (10 p.m PST)

Rankings
Rankings from each Leg are not official until noon local time the next day on the official rally website:

MEDIA INQUIRES
David Brumbley

media@chaosfab.com

All Photos: Maïenga

Here is the recap after yesterdays leg 4.

March 28th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – In the history of the Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles, no American team has ever won the coveted 4×4 class. Although three U.S. teams including Team #180 American Chaos were in the top 5 of the class going into today’s Leg 4, a major shake-up is still possible as gaps begin to close between teams.

The CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma canvassing the terrain

After an exhausting Marathon Leg over the weekend, today’s Leg 4 wasn’t the most difficult of days with the biggest challenge being fatigue, heat, and total distance covered – a looped leg of 160 km estimated at 9 hours with 7 checkpoints. If teams wanted a chance of being dead-on, they needed to plot well and drive smart. Team American Chaos did just that.

Beavis plots her checkpoints

A Key Player – Strategy

With the Leg taking teams up over a very large muddy hill before they even hit CP1, some teams decided to go around the obstacle rather than take the risk head-on. The “safe” option; however, led them straight into mud. Team American Chaos made the decision to go over the hill and it paid off. Beavis noted that with only 1.91 kilometers separating their team from the leaders, she and Pitell-Vaughan were really strategic during Leg 4.

“Our strategy today was definitely to take some chances to see if we could take back the lead, and we got lucky right away,” said Beavis. “We took a risky bet at CP 1 and it paid off big time. We went over a hill where we watched a lot of other competitors have to turn around. I put some MAXTRAX down, and we got up and over. Everyone else who had to go around then got stuck in the mud. We probably shaved about three kilometers.”

Team #180, the “Morocco Taco,” and recovery devices MAXTRAX

Another influential area of the course was between CP 6 and 7. Team American Chaos decided to take an easier line here to conserve energy, whereas current leaders Team #179 Régine Zbinden and ElaSteiner took the opposite. They drove an exceptionally straight line in their Jeep Wrangler through the difficult dry riverbeds in an attempt to hold onto first place. Ironically, right when Pitell-Vaughan and Beavispulled into CP 7, Team #179 pulled in behind them after having done the harder line. The two teams will likely be jostling for the lead the next few days. Beavis said they had an unofficial penalty for the day of 6.4 kilometers, which would be good news for the team.

Teams in the top must continue to bring their A-game with an excellent pace and navigational accuracy for a chance at first. A tough final three days are ahead.

Pitell-Vaughan spreads the cheer

LIVE TRACKING

Rankings

MEDIA INQUIRES
David Brumbley

media@chaosfab.com

All Photos: Nicole Dreon/Maïenga

Here is the update from earlier this morning.

March 29th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – In a battle of sheer will with neither challenger backing down, Team #180 American Chaos Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis began today’s Leg just .13 km behind first place Team #179 Régine Zbinden and Ela Steiner. Describing the highly competitive 4×4 class as fierce would be an understatement at this point, as the rally approaches the final few days with three American teams sitting in top five positions.

A great backdrop for the vehicles – the Sahara sky

Teams rose this morning to eight checkpoints, an ideal distance of 170 km and an estimated time of nine hours ahead of them. Straight lines, a notorious sand trap, hills, and rocky terrain throughout would test drivers’ skills, experience and endurance.

The “Morocco Taco” looking comfortable in its namesake country

Rough Roads Ahead

Team American Chaos’ day started out less than positive after a solid performance yesterday. Rewind to day three, Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis drove through a crater and their truck slammed hard on something – they weren’t sure what. The next few days the vehicle was fine, up until this morning when the rear shock mount broke prior to reaching CP1. The damage forced the team to drive slow and methodically straight in first and second gear dependent on the leaf pack.

Vehicles gaining ground

Later between CP 6 and CP 7, Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis came across American Team #107 Jo Hannah and Susanah Hoehn. “The air ride system in their Land Rover L4 had gone out and lowered all the way down, making it impossible for the vehicle to rise back up,” said Pitell-Vaughan, herself experienced in mechanics. Team American Chaos, in true “Gazelle Spirit,” stopped to attempt and fix the vehicle before heading on to their next CP after almost an hour.

The CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma in the thick of the competition

The admirable move unfortunately spent daylight, and Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis did not arrive at the bivouac until after first place Team #179. With a longer day spent in the vehicle for Team American Chaos, the move may have cost precious minutes of evening rest before the second grueling Marathon Leg tomorrow.

Driver’s view

Big Picture

With six official competition days behind the teams, vehicles are starting to show their wear and tear. Although this is not a race for speed, the rough rocky terrain and extreme conditions of the rally may begin to take their toll as the competition heads towards the finish. And teams need to be strategic moving and planning for solutions to save kilometers.

Case in point: In 2014, seasoned competitors Syndiely Wade and Florence Pham miscalculated a CP, leading them to a route over an extremely rocky area. They literally got out of the vehicle to physically move huge boulders, creating a route to drive through to shave off distance. Although they did not end up winning, it’s strategy like that which keep competitors in the game

It’s safe to say in true “Gazelle Rally” fashion, anything is possible in these final few days.

LIVE TRACKING

Rankings

MEDIA INQUIRES
David Brumbley
media@chaosfab.com
All Photos: Maïenga/Nicole Dreon

The girls are in second place (unofficially) after the final leg of the rally!

March 31st, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – The Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles has officially lived up to its reputation as one of the toughest all female sporting events on the planet. In the stretch of final Leg 6, two teams battled it out for the lead. One of them was Team #180 American Chaos, Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis.

The CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma stealing the spotlight

The Final Countdown

“My racing has taught me that it’s not over until it’s over,” – Chrissie Beavis, 2013.

Team American Chaos began their morning back from a broken rear shock mount on Leg 5, where they had to drive in first and second gear only. It was sent to the mechanics that evening, but coupled with little sleep the night before, it’s safe to say they knew this final leg would be their ultimate test of endurance.

Vehicles gather at a CP

Leg 6 was a 235 km landscape mixed with small dunes, a huge dry lakebed, and the famed Chegaga dunes. Although not as spectacular as the Erg Chebbi dunes, they are nonetheless haunting and have a reputation amongst competitors.

Competitors will be dreaming of these dunes about two months from now

Beavis remarked prior to Leg 6, “The Chegaga dunes can be tricky to navigate through if it’s a hazy or sand-stomy day. My fingers are crossed for good weather that day.”

Unfortunately, Beavis did not get her wish. The winds kicked up and made long distance navigation virtually impossible, with sandstorms in the dunes so bad that teams could barely see the horizon. Since this is a competition about reading terrain features, that lack of visibiliy meant teams had use every ounce of mental sharpness left in them.

You can always count on sandstorms in the Sahara

Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis performed well the first day, nailing all of their checkpoints. Despite the weather, they seemingly breezed through a few expert X CPs early in the dunes.

Going into the second day of the Final Leg, the competition still could not be predicted. First place Team #179 Zbinden/Steiner, two air-traffic controllers, had neatly impeccable lines – setting a difficult path for even the experienced to beat. Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis began on point, yet as their route continued, took a few wider lines which ultimately affected their score.

“We gambled and went all in today, and we doubled down. The map lied where we thought we could save some kilometers and it made it more challenging because we were on a Marathon Leg,” said Pitell-Vaughan. “But the CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Tacoma performed flawlessly in the dunes .”

If these tires could talk

The team nailed all 11 checkpoints without any major issues and had a solid pace during the 2-day leg. And being prepared didn’t hurt. Team American Chaos’ well-prepped Toyota Tacoma was a crowd stand-out.

“We torture tested the TC +2” Race series LT kit for 1048 kilometers through the most brutal terrain imaginable. The King shocks worked flawless,” stated Pitell-Vaughan. “The TRD supercharger made navigating the dunes so easy and the Baja Designs LED Lights allowed us to find our way back to the bivouac at night.” All in a day’s work for the Morocco Taco.

Teammates pause to survey the scene

Unlike previous Gazelle Rallys, no sudden plot twists in the top were presented in these final few days, which demonstrated the utter concentration that went into these teams’ performances.

History in the making

Team American Chaos’ provisional results show they’ll likely keep their second place standing. And if that’s the case, they’ll be packing some well-deserved bragging rights.

There’s no monetary prize for podium-finishing, which Beavis is just fine with

No American team has ever podium-finished the 4×4 class in the rally’shistory, but this 26th edition will change that (in 2011 Emily Miller was the first American competitor to podium, alongside teammate Armelle Medard of France). Team #180 officially placing second will not only make them one of the first American teams to podium in 4×4 class (American Team #107 Hooehn/Hoehn’s provisional results show third place) they’ll become the highest ranking American team ever in the class. Not bad, Chaos.

Pushing limits, tackling the highest dunes in Morocco, Macgyveringvehicles – just another day for Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis.

Pitell-Vaughan in the middle of it all and loving it

“We had an amazing adventure filled with laughs,” stated Pitell-Vaughan. “And Team 179 were awesome competitors that kept us in the game. Thank you to CDV mechanics for repairing the busted rear shock mount. Thanks to Zakaria and Atraxion 4×4 for rescuing the Morocco Taco from container prison. And thank you to team TC for believing in us.”

Rankings

Official final rankings, including today’s, are expected Saturday, April 2nd on the official rally website:

MEDIA INQUIRES

David Brumbley
media@chaosfab.com

Great thread and pics. Looks like a lot of hard work goes into an event like this.

April 4th, 2016 (CORONA, CA) – This past weekend, Team #180 American Chaos became the highest-ranking American team ever in the 4×4 class of the Rallye Aïcha des Gazelles’ 26 year history.

With a beachside parade on Friday and prize ceremony the following day in the coastal town of Essaouira, Morocco, Nicole Pitell-Vaughan and Chrissie Beavis’ ranking of second place was officially confirmed.

Beavis and Pitell-Vaughan on the beaches of Essaouira, Morocco

In the hunt for the win since day one, the team fought crucially hard for the top spot. Beginning in first place of their 4×4 class, Team American Chaos slipped into second after Leg 3’s performance, where a scratch ranking of three ultimately shifted their overall ranking to two. Refusing to give up, they battled out the following competition days with consistency in both driving and navigation despite overcoming a broken rear shock mount, blinding windstorms, and a loss of daylight while assisting another U.S. team. A strong performance kept them in the top two throughout, but unfortunately wasn’t enough to clinch the coveted top spot.

Terrain varied from rocky to smooth and kept teams on their toes

Team #179 Régine Zbinden and Ela Steiner of Switzerland were a tough act to beat, with impeccably smooth, straight lines putting them in a prime position. In this ultimate moving chess game where competitors faced difficult decisions of strategy, Team American Chaos provided a nail-biting finish for not only their rivals, but also fans of the team and the rally. They finished just 1.82 km (1.13 miles) behind first place.

The CRC/TOTAL CHAOS Toyota Tacoma performed flawlessly

“It was the kind of thing where we just did everything that we could,” said professional navigator Beavis. “We had excellent competition and it made it really fun and really challenging.”

The rally is a brutal test of skill and endurance, pushing competitors’ limits both physically and mentally. And Pitell-Vaughan and Beavis wouldn’t have it any other way. From crossing the famed Erg Chebbi dunes to the grandiose cliffs of M’daouer to rock crawling the Moroccan desert, these two brought their A-game and are proud to break a record for the United States.

Team American Chaos celebrate their finish

“I would like to thank CRC and TOTAL CHAOS for their support as well as all of our other program sponsors. And thank you Morocco for welcoming the rally,” stated Pitell-Vaughan. “The game was so close and intense for nine straight days. Mental fatigue was a factor on day nine. It was an amazing experience. I look forward to returning to the States and beginning preparation to compete in the Best in the Desert Vegas to Reno race in August.”

MEDIA INQUIRES
David Brumbley
media@chaosfab.com

CONGRATS TEAM! :beer:

Congrats, good read and pics thanks for posting. Looks like a great experience :cheers:

I have a quick note from Nicole and a few more pictures to post.

"On behalf of Team #180, Chrissie Beavis and I want to thank you for following our 2016 Rallye Aiicha de Gazelles adventure online! We hope it inspired a few of you to push yourselves past your comfort zone. This 9 day event in Africa is a test of physical strength, mental focus & mechanical durability. If you let it win for even a second and get distracted, you’re out of the game! Driving straight over rocks gets really old – really fast. It destroys our equipment. At times we moved mountains of rocks to maintain our heading. Driving the dunes is where the Morocco Taco shined though, and we gave the media crews a great show. Driving 9 days straight and over 1048 KM through the Sahara to earn a 2nd place finish was no easy feat. It was great to get the fan mail during the journey and we proudly accept this podium for the great Red, White & Blue. GO USA!!

For those of you that may be up for a similar type of women’s adventure and off road challenge here in the United States, check out more info on an event this Fall 2016 @ http://www.rebellerally.com/

— The Rebelle Rally is a 7 day adventure/expedition/navigation rally raid for women covering 2,000 kilometers of street legal trails across the Southwest deserts of California & Nevada that are rich with early American pioneer history.

— It is not a race for speed. It is a competition based on driving and navigation skills. Navigate to multiple hidden checkpoints via supplied headings and conclude the day at a mobile base camp. You will be using only maps, a compass, and a supplied road book. Sleep under the stars during the entire adventure.

— No GPS is allowed. Zero electronic devices are permitted. Disconnect from the daily grind for 7 full days.

— No personal support crews. Keeping your equipment together is part of the challenge. Mechanics are on site every night. It is a confidence test for team mates. It is sure to be an unforgettable off road adventure!

— Race vehicles are not permitted. This rally is designed for street legal vehicles that are daily or expedition rigs you would use on the weekend with the family. It will test a drivers' skill to drive smart and smooth - not fast. And will test the navigators role to prove they know their exact location on a map, can problem solve under fatigue, and I am sure will test the team's communication skills too - that is just part of the game spending 7 days in a tight office space. LOL

THANK YOU again for being an extended part of our off road adventure! Now go out and embark on your next off road trip. Or check out this really cool event planned for October 2016 in Nevada & California. " Sincerely, Nicole Pitell-Vaughan

team-american-chaos-rally-aicha-de-gazelles-4-18-01.jpg
team-american-chaos-rally-aicha-de-gazelles-4-18-02.jpg
team-american-chaos-rally-aicha-de-gazelles-4-18-03.jpg
team-american-chaos-rally-aicha-de-gazelles-4-18-04.jpg

SO awesome gang!

Congrats and for such a great cause too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom