2014+ GM LV3 V6 - Looking for Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trigger Warning: This is an engine swap question and while I am speaking hypothetically, it may offend purists.

As I waiver between what I will or wont do to my FJ40, I keep running across the new LV3 engine. Unlike the LSx engines, GM actually made a Gen 5 V6. I know GM V6s have been very popular in short wheel base rigs for years but they were always old tech with new electronics. The stats on this engine are 285 hp/ 305lb-ft with great fuel economy and it is two cyl shorter than a V8 which is huge as I look at stack up length and rear drive shaft angles (before people start telling me to just put an LS motor in it).

gm-4-3l-v6-ecotec3-lv3-engine-2.jpg

I have found a few threads of people talking about this motor. A couple guys started projects on LS1tech

LSX based v6? Yes please!
New Gen V project... - LS1TECH

Does anyone have any information on this engine? The motors themselves are out there out of low miles wrecked trucks. Any where I could get one converted to stand alone with all the extra stuff eliminated? (no emissions in my state past 25 years old) I have reached out to a few shops who are doing Gen 5 stuff and have found no one supporting this. Any major reasons why this couldn't be done? I think it would have a huge market in both small cars and short wheel base 4X4s.

Last edited:
I've been out of circulation since this motor came out, but I can say this:
(1) I had a CMFI GM V6 in a SWB FJ45- - -it was the love of my life!!!!!
(2) You generally can not de-smog a late model EFI engine unless you totally re-program the computer. These things have a minimum of smog device on them to begin with, and they run a lot better when all systems are intact/in harmony with the ECU.

This is a really great little motor, had the same thought. The computer should be the same setup as the ls motors, its LS archecture so everything on the back is the same should be a perfect swap for a fj40.

Of course it can be done, but if you start with an LS motor, you'll get a lot more help.
Yep I know there is A LOT more support for the LS motors and Gen 5s are just starting to come around. If GM had ever made an LS based V6 I would be all over that. The jump from the old chevy V6s to the new LV3 makes it as good if not better (weight, mpg) than an LS motor and is much shorter. A few companies will do stand alone conversions for the Gen 5 V8s, but do not support the LV3 (Ive asked). Im wondering if anyone knows of the same being done on the V6 version or anywhere that would be open to it.

Comparable numbers to an LSx motor but 2 cyl shorter and likely will be cheaper (pull outs can be had for ~$1,500 right now but its only two years old) - Im shocked more short wheel base people haven't been all over this given drive shaft issues that come up with swaps.

Last edited:
The length issue is so much easier to solve for the average backyard guy. You can jam the engine right up to the radiator and put an electric fan on the front, or you can flip the rear springs. There is no shortage of stock '40s with V8s in them with no issues. A CV driveshaft and rotated rear-end helps too.

If you're good at electronics and software integration, and not subject to emissions regulations, you could make that engine run with a mega-squirt setup, and even put a turbo charger on it. :eek:

BTW, an LS 4.8L LR4 pull-outs are under $1000, even $700 complete sometimes.

I am thinking this would be a great motor for a 40. It would be a fun project for sure and perhaps set a precedence for this particular swap. I can not see where setting it up stand alone would be an issue.

I can not see where setting it up stand alone would be an issue.
  • Integration with an anti-theft key management system
  • Integration with the transmission controls
  • CAN bus?
  • Computer reprogramming
  • Encryption for the ECU Image?
All of these items have been solved in the LS-motor aftermarket, with lots of effort. They did it because the market was big.

I'm not a naysayer. I'm just realistic. I believe I could set it up with a megasquirt setup, if I was so inclined.

If you really want a 4.3l V6, using parts from a Syclone/Typhoon would get you to the same or more HP and TQ with less effort.

Oh, and a 4.0 Toyota V6 would not be more effort than an LR4, and, IMO, would be a cooler end result for a Land Cruiser.

• Integration with an anti-theft key management system
  • Integration with the transmission controls
  • CAN bus?
  • Computer reprogramming
  • Encryption for the ECU Image?
All of these items have been solved in the LS-motor aftermarket, with lots of effort. They did it because the market was big.

It is all being done for the Gen 5 V8s because the market is there. I'm asking if anyone knows of a shop that does or would provide the same service for a V6?
gen5truckrework-2T.jpg

And yes, I know the LSx can be done and there is a lot of informaiton out there, but there are inherent advantages to a V6 approach as outlined in the Novak write up. This motor would provide the best of both worlds.

I am thinking this would be a great motor for a 40. It would be a fun project for sure and perhaps set a precedence for this particular swap. I can not see where setting it up stand alone would be an issue.

Is that in your wheelhouse or do you have a connection for those services?

Im going to reach out to the guys who did the first LS FRS as they are about a half hour away and seeing if they are doing any Gen 5 stuff.

I'm asking if anyone knows of a shop that does or would provide the same service for a V6?

I don't know of a shop, but you might expect that the startup costs of the support could be tens of thousands.

If you wanted to go the megasquirt route, you could look into these companies:

SymTech Laboratories: Design, consulting, prototyping, and manufacturing specifically MegaSquirt ECU's - SymTech Laboratories: Design, consulting, prototyping, and manufacturing
Megasquirt EFI - Fuel injection and Ignition Control ECU specifically Consulting - Megasquirt EFI

The electronics end of it is not my forte but I am quite sure It can be done. I have learned not to fear engine control electronics but rather to embrace it. If/when the situation comes along I will address it then. Just because it has not yet been done does not mean it is difficult.

The electronics end of it is not my forte but I am quite sure It can be done.

Me too, 100%.

Just because it has not yet been done does not mean it is difficult.

It's not difficult to buy a G5 or a Bugatti either, just really expensive.

Looking at the MS3-Pro manual, there are plenty of non-LS configurations mentioned. Maybe it would just be a matter of buying one? There's lots of forum support for it as well.

https://www.diyautotune.com/downloads/ms3-pro/ms3pro_manual.pdf

Well then I guess I wont spend any time worrying about using one in a swap :)

Even if you have to use the chevy harness its not that bad, the trucks these come in are base trucks with minimal electronics. Might even be the thing to do if your fj40 harness is bad. I would look at trying to get a donor with everything trans included. A 2wd trans will have the rear speed sensor. May have to get the BCM computer re flashed to take some stuff out/modify for gauges and the like bit its totally doable. I would even modify the gm cluster to fit if i had to. Wwith the mpg they are quoting for these it would be a great motor in a fj40...

Assuming these come out with manual transmissions and you have a Bellhousing to suit, I would have thought the swap was very straight forward. You should be able to swap virtually everything over. Only things you would need to change is a speedo sensor from the gearbox (a Toyota Celica speedo sensor will bolt straight on, then use an electric module to adapt the signal. Should be about $150 in total. If you want to keep the factory speed, you'll need to add $100 to buy the adapter to do both).

If the ecu can't have the security switched off, you should be able to swap the entire BCM module in from the donor car, it's a bit annoying and takes space but should be easy enough.

I very nearly went down a similar path, but decided on a fuel injected v8 instead solely for the sound. Otherwise a modern V6 is a much better option.

Cheers

They are starting to show up. There is a Bomber Fab car running around with one in it now that completed at King of the Hammers last year.

I believe that Josh at Team 208 Motorsports up in Idaho built the harness for it. He is a wiring and tuning wizard. You will need to provide the factory engine harness, ECM, etc.

I believe these engines are only coming with an automatic transmission from GM now. It is the 6L80E which is a fantastic transmission. I believe the gen 5 engines in this family are still using the old GM 90 degree bellhousing pattern. Adapting to another transmission isn't out of the question. I know of at least one person doing an older 3spd automatic. As far as a manual transmission, if the crank is drilled for the pilot bushing and you can sort out a flywheel I suspect it will work. Finding a tune for that will probably entail a little more cost/time since it was not a factory option.

Oh, there is no factory provision for a power steering pump either now. I think they went electric steering assist.
There is also a vacuum pump on the engine because the VVT can cause lower vacuum at idle if I remember right.
The fuel system is a PWM tank pump with direct injection also so some things will need to be tuned out for a normal fuel delivery system.

Wait a year or two and I bet someone will be selling stand alone swap stuff.

They are starting to show up. There is a Bomber Fab car running around with one in it now that completed at King of the Hammers last year.

I believe that Josh at Team 208 Motorsports up in Idaho built the harness for it. He is a wiring and tuning wizard. You will need to provide the factory engine harness, ECM, etc.

I believe these engines are only coming with an automatic transmission from GM now. It is the 6L80E which is a fantastic transmission. I believe the gen 5 engines in this family are still using the old GM 90 degree bellhousing pattern. Adapting to another transmission isn't out of the question. I know of at least one person doing an older 3spd automatic. As far as a manual transmission, if the crank is drilled for the pilot bushing and you can sort out a flywheel I suspect it will work. Finding a tune for that will probably entail a little more cost/time since it was not a factory option.

Oh, there is no factory provision for a power steering pump either now. I think they went electric steering assist.
There is also a vacuum pump on the engine because the VVT can cause lower vacuum at idle if I remember right.
The fuel system is a PWM tank pump with direct injection also so some things will need to be tuned out for a normal fuel delivery system.

Wait a year or two and I bet someone will be selling stand alone swap stuff.

Thanks! I will check out Team 208 Motorsports!

Wayne at 150Tunes.com out of Spokane, WA emailed me back and said they could and would be interested in modifying the harness and making one stand alone. Now I just need to find one within driving distance! There are several online and prices are not unreasonable (yes, I expect they will come down with time but for an extra 1k I think it would be worth having this motor over an LSx truck engine and the convince of a shorter V6)

I am still in the planning phase but what I do would depend on if it comes with a trans or not. If I find one that comes with the 6L80E I may have to keep it. The US ones are all autos from what I can find but there are manual's in Mexico Ive read. I am interested to see what they are using behind it but have not found that yet. There is a guy on LS1Tech working out a lot of the issues you mention but he put his project on hold to work on his house.

If there are manual versions in other countries that is good news. The crank should be compatible with a pilot bearing and the tune should be available from GM in some way. The flywheel and other parts should be available also.

According to GM mexico is is still a 5spd manual. I would suspect it is a carry over of the nv3550. If someone can find gear ratios we could probably confirm that.

The 6L80 is a fantastic transmission in my opinion. The gearing is VERY broad. The pan is much narrower also. That would make adapting it into passenger drop vehicles a lot easier than the older GM automatics. It is a tall transmission and not super short.

I don't know if either truck transmission is going to be short enough for an FJ40 wheelbase.

I'm going to review this, because I am very curious and extremely interested. I have an LS swapped 20, but have been considering a 40 in the future (maybe a 60 too) and would love this set up.

This link may help move this forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom