2008 LC, no lift, time for new tires, want A/T and 285 65 R18, anyone with recs/pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I assume the 65 will fit without rubbing.

Second, I really do not go off road other than slippery boat ramps. I like Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos but worry about tread life.

Anyone got any recommendations that will not cause too bumpy of a ride?

Love old school BFGs, and they last forever, but I don't want to have my teeth chattering.

Thanks so much.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on replacing with same factory size (60).

And don't beat me up too bad about not offroading. I just don't have time. Three kids, wife, job, and I spend my free time in a boat.

I've had bad ass rides, 1987 4Runner with 32in BFGs, my old 1992 2 door Tahoe (Blazer) Z71 with a warn winch and bumper, and 285 BFGs on it, loved it, but those days are past . . . (along with me buying American rides after my 2002 Yukon blew an engine - also with the 285 BFGs).

Well I guess the question then is why go with an AT tire at all. What's wrong with the stock Dueler's?

Remember a few things when you switch over to AT's:
1) It's an LT-rated tire, not a P-rated (Many are even LT-E)
2) MPG's will be effected
3) With stock suspension you will feel the road quite a bit more
4) Cost more and wear quicker
5) Increasing size will increase rotational mass -- handling suffers

Overall, I see way too many people with AT tires that don't need them. My Nitto's ride much more stiff and firm than the stock Dueler's. With an 18" rim, that leaves a fair amount of sidewall. The less rubber sidewall, the firmer and more confident the handling. Tire for tire, a 20" rim will handle better than an 18" rim ON ROAD.

I'd look at the Nitto Terra Grappler's if you really want an AT tire, but personally if I wasn't wheeling I would not want to take the comfort hit of the LT tire. Just stick with highway tires. In fact, a good alll weather highway tire will outperform an AT tire on a wet road any day. AT tires are more knobby and provide LESS traction ON ROAD. Just look at the average breaking distances when wet for an AT vs. all weather highway tire.

Quick question...I have an 09 LC200 and also looking for a winter/hunting season tire...I've been looking at the Nitto TG, 285/65/18...my question is will they rub anywhere on my stock LC?

I have these Michelin LTX AT2 A/T² Tire Reviews and I have been pretty happy with them. Slightly harsher ride (65 lbs pressure and 10 ply) but I didn't notice any difference in noise from the originals. I am running 285/65R18's without any rubbing and I gained almost an inch in clearance. Way more of a "working" tire than the Michelin Latitudes that came on my 08. Seem to be a great compromise between comfort and function.

We have the Nitto TG on ours for the summer, and Blizzacks for the winter. Both are great, but the Blizzacks are unreal in the snow and ice.

I'm planning on the same 285/65R18 tire, but in a Trail Grappler. I know it fits with at stock height in every day driving but does anyone know if the extra 1" diameter (therefore 0.5" "into" the wheelarch) from stock will cause issues when the suspension is fully flexed up into the wheel arches?

I have these Michelin LTX AT2 A/T² Tire Reviews and I have been pretty happy with them. Slightly harsher ride (65 lbs pressure and 10 ply) but I didn't notice any difference in noise from the originals. I am running 285/65R18's without any rubbing and I gained almost an inch in clearance. Way more of a "working" tire than the Michelin Latitudes that came on my 08. Seem to be a great compromise between comfort and function.

Interesting. I hadn't considered those before. I am looking at the same Nitto Terra Grapplers mentioned here before in a 285/65/R18 size and wondering the same thing about rubbing. I've been told it won't be a problem. I'm also considering swapping out my stock wheels for some ProComp 7033's in an 18x9 size.

I'd also be interested in pictures and any other comments about this tire size, ride quality and rubbing issues with the stock suspension, no lift.

Interesting. I hadn't considered those before. I am looking at the same Nitto Terra Grapplers mentioned here before in a 285/65/R18 size and wondering the same thing about rubbing. I've been told it won't be a problem. I'm also considering swapping out my stock wheels for some ProComp 7033's in an 18x9 size.

I'd also be interested in pictures and any other comments about this tire size, ride quality and rubbing issues with the stock suspension, no lift.

I have 285/65/18 Nitto terra grapplers on my lifted 200. No problems whats so ever. A little stiffer ride but my wife didn't even notice. She likes the height and the SUV looks tons better lifted and with tires. Stock looks squatty.

I have 285/65/18 Nitto terra grapplers on my lifted 200. No problems whats so ever. A little stiffer ride but my wife didn't even notice. She likes the height and the SUV looks tons better lifted and with tires. Stock looks squatty.

Cool. Great quote in your sig, too. I completely agree. :D

Question - Did you do the lift and tire upgrade at the same time? I'm wondering if I can put the 285/65/18 NTG's on before I do the lift or if there will be rubbing.

Also, what kind of lift did you do? 2"?

Thanks.

I have the old school BFG's (285/65R18 TA/KO) and like them. I posted some pics here: Land Cruiser Alaska

Great pics. Any issues with those tires when the suspension is fully maxed and the tire is shoved up into the wheel well?

I'm considering the Trail Grappler in either 285/65R18 or 285/70R17

Glad you guys like the pictures.

I only do mild off-roading and no intense rock crawling, so my setup is OK for my type of use.

I do suspect that there will be rubbing with stock suspensions if I were to flex the suspensions to the max.

First, I assume the 65 will fit without rubbing.

Second, I really do not go off road other than slippery boat ramps. I like Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos but worry about tread life.

Anyone got any recommendations that will not cause too bumpy of a ride?

Love old school BFGs, and they last forever, but I don't want to have my teeth chattering.

Thanks so much.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on replacing with same factory size (60).

Hi,

Using MICHELIN LT28565R 18 LTX AT 2 E, very happy with it, not very good on mud but great all rounder / highway tires.
Take a look at this useful survey and reviews; Consumer Survey Results By Category
Just ordered 4 Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 for my wife's Rav4 will see how it goes, I wounder if and how they would work on the LC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom