2004 Toyota Land Cruiser Under Carriage Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy my first LC. Found 2004 Land Cruiser for $9900, 248000 mi. Carfax shows VT, WI use
so I was concerned about rust. Please see pics and let me know if I should be concerned. LC looks clean otherwise. Comments on whether a deal or not would e great also.

Thanks

Widge

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

My response to all of the rust threads, FWIW, is why buy a rusty 100 series. They run for ever, so the only thing to really worry about on these rigs is rust. Ergo, it is the one thing to avoid. See if you can find a southern one, maybe CarMax, and pay to have it shipped for inspection.

That's probably good for Northerners but being you are in the south, why? I wouldn't touch that one but I am spoiled here in TX

Hope these pic's give you an idea of what you need to look for. These vehicles will be dependable for 400k+ miles the only thing that will kill them is rust.

image.jpg

Too much rust for me at that price. Honestly I just wouldn't but a rusty truck since I live in Texas.

This is a 340k mile 4Runner. My LX has less than half those miles and the undercoating looks better.

Thanks to all for the advice and pics to my first post. Looking at Sequoia's as well and seeing alot of undercarriage rust.
My son recommended this sight and he was right!

Thanks to all for the advice and pics to my first post. Looking at Sequoia's as well and seeing alot of undercarriage rust.
My son recommended this sight and he was right!

FYI Sequoia has rust problem - Toyota had a recall to replace the frame on Tundra and Sequoia. Just google it, or do a search on tundrasolution forum.

Price wise, beside considering rust under the car and on the body, are the major items due? Tires, WP, TB, shocks?

You look at GX's? Seems like there are plenty, good prices, and a lot of them taken care of.

That rust doesn't look bad at all for a northern rig. I've been on here a while and I've never seen another undercarriage like @SWUtah - you could eat off that, but wait can it be? Is that overspray on the OME shock body and bolt? tsk tsk :)

Here's one with no rust and in your neck of the woods:

For Sale: - 2004 Land Cruiser

Hope these pic's give you an idea of what you need to look for. These vehicles will be dependable for 400k+ miles the only thing that will kill them is rust.

I'm pretty sure you're truck's under carriage has been painted...so you're not going to find one like it unless it has the same treatment.

The 2004 that I owned when i lived in KC got the same treatment, every spring and fall, as I have stated in previous "rust" posts. You get your butt under your truck. Remove any sign of rust starting and then coat everything with a can of rustoliuem paint which further protects the metal from potential rust. Took me 30 minutes twice a year. You wax your truck "right" to protect the paint, you should do the same for the hidden parts or you end up with a rusted truck. I've done this same thing with my 2005 LX that is a NV/TX truck. The only difference is that I only do is once a year and it's very hard to find any rust at all. But I still cover all the metal potential rust areas with a couple of coats of rustoliuem. The rustoliuem is really tough and over the years I have seen very little chipping of the protective paint coating. The idea that if it's a Texas truck it won't have any rust is BS. Drive a Texas truck to Chicago in the winter and don't completely clean it up when you get back to Texas you will have rust. Don't buy a rusty truck! Don't buy a truck without service records!

Don't rush into a purchase. That truck definitely has some rust and will NEVER be fun nor forgiving when you begin working on it. It's an ok price but there are better trucks out there in better shape for the same price if not cheaper. Take your time with your purchase and you will find one that you love, preferably with less rust.

That rust is nothing, but like others have said, why not look at a local truck? Are there no vehicles by you?

The 2004 that I owned when i lived in KC got the same treatment, every spring and fall, as I have stated in previous "rust" posts. You get your butt under your truck. Remove any sign of rust starting and then coat everything with a can of rustoliuem paint which further protects the metal from potential rust. Took me 30 minutes twice a year. You wax your truck "right" to protect the paint, you should do the same for the hidden parts or you end up with a rusted truck. I've done this same thing with my 2005 LX that is a NV/TX truck. The only difference is that I only do is once a year and it's very hard to find any rust at all. But I still cover all the metal potential rust areas with a couple of coats of rustoliuem. The rustoliuem is really tough and over the years I have seen very little chipping of the protective paint coating. The idea that if it's a Texas truck it won't have any rust is BS. Drive a Texas truck to Chicago in the winter and don't completely clean it up when you get back to Texas you will have rust. Don't buy a rusty truck! Don't buy a truck without service records!
I couldn't agree with you more. Additional I'd add; regular washing of undercarriage is a must, as is taking care of rock chips.

I'll buy without service records since I do my own maintenance, but I'll not buy rust.

Too much $ considering the rust and the amount of elbow grease you're gonna have to put into it for treatment.

I had some rust on mine from Philly but nothing like that; I treated mine and am happy. Paid $4000 for mine which also made me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom