Ford 2000 Excursion 7.3L death wobble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone experiencing anything similar? It may not be death wobble, but it's definitely a vibration in the front end during braking from approx 50 mph down to 40, but only at certain pressures and only at that speed. It shakes so bad that cans have come out of the cupholders.

Edit: should mention that we've had the rotors turned and new pads installed. We also had new spring packs built for the front end. One of those seemed to temporarily cure the problem, but now it's back.

IDEAS?

Have you replaced your hubs yet? If so did you use hubs with roller or ball bearings? I assume you have high miles on it. Mine went out on my 02 7.3 at 215k miles. A bud of mine went at 150k. Stay away from the cheap EBay hubs. They all have ball bearings. And won't last 80k miles. And when they go out the wheel has a lot of play. With the roller style you just get a grind to let you know. Check YouTube for vids on this. There are plenty.

Have you replaced your hubs yet? If so did you use hubs with roller or ball bearings? I assume you have high miles on it. Mine went out on my 02 7.3 at 215k miles. A bud of mine went at 150k. Stay away from the cheap EBay hubs. They all have ball bearings. And won't last 80k miles. And when they go out the wheel has a lot of play. With the roller style you just get a grind to let you know. Check YouTube for vids on this. There are plenty.

No, haven't replaced the hubs. Good tip, I'll check it out. Thanks.

It has about 230K on the ticker.

I crawled underneath it the other night and noticed the TREs are soft, plus there's still some OEM rubber bushings on steering components. Those will be upgraded to poly bushings when I can.

Last edited:
Jack your front tires off the ground and check for play. There will be some wiggle if they are shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom