2 questions paint color and V8 vs OEM pros and cons.. how do they each feel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ebay.com
Hey yall...

How does a fj40 with a 350 v8 run?

I'm looking for FJ40 highway cruiser and daily driver around town. I live in a salt winter town.. and plan on enjoy the rig.. I like all original but wonder about power to get over 65 mph.. and assume I need a 4sp.. or maybe more?

Plan on 33" tires for this look or close to it

i assume I want a v8 vs a 2f?

Also what color is this awesome blue

FJ40 Listing-5-2.jpg

Bezel Police!

Here are a couple of pictures of my rig. One with the winch and one without. I am running 33x10.5 with a 2.5" lift. Stock motor and 4spd. All the suspension is rebuilt including steering. It cruises best around 55. I can run 60-65 but it just feels like it is pushing pretty hard at that speed. That blue doesnt look stock to me. I cant comment on how a V8 with would do, but I have read a few posts where people have changed the diff gearing for more cruising speed.

20160922_200232.jpg
20160731_151358#1.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my rig. One with the winch and one without. I am running 33x10.5 with a 2.5" lift. Stock motor and 4spd. All the suspension is rebuilt including steering. It cruises best around 55. I can run 60-65 but it just feels like it is pushing pretty hard at that speed. That blue doesnt look stock to me. I cant comment on how a V8 with would do, but I have read a few posts where people have changed the diff gearing for more cruising speed.

View attachment 1329640 View attachment 1329641
sick nasty beast! love it.

that blue is not oem.
these are not something that you want to spend a lot of time in at speeds over 65. they were not designed to do it, and unless a bunch of sound reduction material is added, are uncomfortably loud at those speeds...in addition to the normal handling and braking issues. oem brakes just fine...no abs, no anti swaybars and leaf springs in a short wheel base at 65mph+ is just not the setup for a good time.

a 2f tooling around town, now that is a much much better time.
a good 2f also has no problems doing short stints on the interstate.

mar16a.jpg

that blue is not oem.
these are not something that you want to spend a lot of time in at speeds over 65. they were not designed to do it, and unless a bunch of sound reduction material is added, are uncomfortably loud at those speeds...in addition to the normal handling and braking issues. oem brakes just fine...no abs, no anti swaybars and leaf springs in a short wheel base at 65mph+ is just not the setup for a good time.

a 2f tooling around town, now that is a much much better time.
a good 2f also has no problems doing short stints on the interstate.

View attachment 1329644
This Tan Blue and gold are my favorite colors.. ok how about if i wanted to long range drive says 6 hours and tow 2 sleds for either the entire time or 1 hour...

At the end of the day it's about gear ratios and the things that affect them (i.e. tire size). Unless you are looking at a transmission with overdrive, everything is 1:1 out the back of the t-case in high range. Assuming stock 4:10 gears and how tight you are willing to wind the 2F, you'll end up going just about as a fast on flat ground with the 6 cylinder as the V8 (the V8 will probably get you up to speed quicker).

If the rig is already equipped with a V8, there are plenty of upgrades that will get more horsepower and torque with less effort (and cost) out of a modern V8 than the F engines.

The Toyota 6 cylinder engines are great runners and very reliable when properly maintained. Running 33" tires will help the 2F a lot, but the bigger the tires you run, the harder it will be to maintain speed in the hills.

As always, regardless of opinions, this is personal choice and should be based somewhat on your pocket book, mechanical skills and overall condition of the 40 you buy.

FWIW, a SBC with a 4L60 and 4:10 gears will do crazy, scary speeds (80+) and maintain them in the hills.

The paint? No clue, but I like it.

Last edited:
If you want a 40 more for highway driving you should get one with a v8. In the salt belt though, if you drive it on the salty roads, it will disintegrate fast. And I really mean disintegrate. You would likely see rust starting after one season of driving it in the winter. The frame and body have a ton of nooks and crannies and the salt will get in those and rust badly. To drive one in the salt you will need to have the frame galvanized, and will probably want to run a aluminum body rather than steel.
Those colors are not stock factory colors. People have painted 40s lots of different colors, but the factory ones are timeless and always look good. I did the body work on my 40 about the same time as another guy I know had his 40 painted. He drove his in the winter(we don't use salt, the state uses some kind of chloride mix, its not as corrosive as salt but is still corrosive) I did not, it gets parked when the snow flies. This was back in 1999ish. I remember seeing it about 2 or 3 years later, it was starting to get the rust coming back. I just saw it the other day-it looks terrible, similar in looks to the underwater exploration pictures I see of the Titanic. Mine still turns heads pretty much everywhere I go. Plus once you hit a patch of ice at speed in a short wheelbase piece of old iron like a 40, you start questioning if its worth it? No its not. I had to throw my underwear in the garbage after that day.

I'm looking for FJ40 highway cruiser and daily driver around town.

Get a late-model (U.S. spec) 40 with 3.70 diffs and put 33" tires on it. You can go 65 with that set-up all day long (and faster if you really want/need to) with the stock 2F, as long as you don't have any steep hills to go up. But @brian is right, going 65+ in a 40 is noisy, tiring, and maneuvering is scary with a 90" wheelbase, no sway bars, and a top-heavy vehicle. It is much more fun at moderate speeds.

The condition of the truck is paramount to this discussion - regardless if a SBC or 2F. My 78 has a strong 2F, 3.7s, and 31" A/Ts with all the systems in great shape. It's absolutely fine at 60-65mph. I can get it over 70 if needed but with the track, width, ride height, and suspension I'd prefer to stay around 60-65 on the highway.

For 65 I'm very happy with a 350, 33s, and 3.70 gears. If your frequently on the highway, 65+, towing, hauling... Buy a newer truck, FJ Cruiser, Taco, etc.

It's a tractor. Although I've run mine 25 of 27 hours at 65 mph (Phoenix to Vancouver BC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom