$2 FIX for LED Tail Lights causing Cruiser Control issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you are running a trailer converter, this will cause the havoc with the LED lights and the cruise/turn signal....

I pulled that "magic black box" from the system and it now works perfectly...without a 5w bulb inline...

Hi Woody - where would this trailer converter be located?

If I pull it out - then how do I have my trailer lights work?

Is there another way?

trailer converter would be located under the spare tire, kinda on the right side of the vehicle.....i had one installed from DrawTite....or Reese...don't recall...they all look like:

Reese Hitches.com | Trailer Hitches | Trailer Hitch Accessories | Electrical Wiring | Cargo Management | Bike Racks | Vehicle Accessories

if you remove it, then your trailer lights won't work....since it pulls the whole trailer harness...since I no longer use a trailer, no issue for me....

but, that explained why my LED's had the cruise/turn issue....

Hi Woody,

my problem wasn't the turning lights issue - mine was that the cruise control wouldn't even turn on because I presume it needed a ground from the brake light bulb - with LED's as they only allow current one way - it couldn't pick up a ground.

Puting the globe in line - gave it a ground, so I can now engage cruise control and Indicators still don't set it off.

My towbar is a "genuine Toyota" one - I will have to have a peak and see if they have this black box as well out of curiosity...

I use my trailer nearly every week end to tow either my jetski or boat so I cant remove it - even if I have one, so this gives me the best of both worlds I guess...

For those with the black box - they may be another way to fix it without a bulb?

EDIT: I suspect I have a completely different system - being Australian - we have a completely different trailer light connection - 7 wires... in a round circle.

if you are running a trailer converter, this will cause the havoc with the LED lights and the cruise/turn signal....

I pulled that "magic black box" from the system and it now works perfectly...without a 5w bulb inline...

My LED's are connected to the trailer converter. So that explains it. It was the only way to get them to work.

If the cc needs a ground, you could most likely get away with a small 100 ohm to 1k ohm resistor...less current drain.

Does the current drain matter? LED's pull about a 10th of the original bulbs anyway....

Bump

Pulse98 ?

I have Mot's LED taillights and it works perfectly. I also have the OEM trailer converter, installed by the Lexus dealer, and it sits inside the fender behind the plastic interior panel, not outside by the spare tire.

I just returned from my X-mas roadtrip, cruising at 90MPH+ with the cruise control set. As an additional data point, I also have a permanent marker/parking receiver light that connects to the 4-pin trailer.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have Mot's LED taillights and it works perfectly. I also have the OEM trailer converter, installed by the Lexus dealer, and it sits inside the fender behind the plastic interior panel, not outside by the spare tire.

I just returned from my X-mas roadtrip, cruising at 90MPH+ with the cruise control set. As an additional data point, I also have a permanent marker/parking receiver light that connects to the 4-pin trailer.

attachment.php

So - your cruise control works perfectly WITHOUT your trailer connected?

I realize this is a very old thread but I am a noobie to being the very proud owner of my FZJ80 and to this forum. Wanting to totally deck my baby out with LEDs and do it right. I'm in Melbourne Australia so ill definitely keep Mot in mind if he's still in the LED business!?! Any pointers/ words of advice/ warnings from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there guys and girls , had the same problem on 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 , I put Led on all lights and replaced the high brake light also . Tried all the treads and was about to call it quits , when I read this tread ...and I installed a 50w / 6 Ohm resistor on the high brake light AND I worked perfectly , Hope that this will help someone in need as me ... Keep up the good work ...THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom