2.5" up front, 4" in back??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have 2.5" lift springs. I am wanting to put maf's shackle reversal on, and they say it gives an added 1.5" of lift. That would be a total of 4" so should I put 4" springs in the back to make it level?

I have a winch up front, and i carry a good amount of weight in the back(tools,recovery gear,welding supplies, etc.

Not sure which way I should go. Any input is appreciated.

Yes, that would be the best thing to do. About the SR-I have heard from various sources that SR is not really worth it unless it is a good custom design that does not have the brackets, since the brackets essentially stick down as far as shackles do. But you've probably already researched it more than I, I am just throwin that up there in case you hadn't heard. :dunno:

According to MAF, their SR sytem is supposed to increase the clearance up front, due to it's "ramp" design. I am wanting to do this for the benefits of having the shackle's in the back since i do climb on rocks, and having the shackles up front seems silly for that type of wheeling.

According to MAF, their SR sytem is supposed to increase the clearance up front, due to it's "ramp" design. I am wanting to do this for the benefits of having the shackle's in the back since i do climb on rocks, and having the shackles up front seems silly for that type of wheeling.
Do you really want to be skidding your springs and hangers on rocks? Otherwise I really don't see how ground clearance is helped by a ramp effect. I see your point in terms of rock crawling, what I have heard is that the only time to do the kit SR's is when it is done for street handling reasons, since stree handling does not require ground clearance. If I was the one climbing rocks instead of plowing through georgia clay, I would wait until I knew a lot about leaf spring suspensions or had saved some bling to pay someone to do a quality custom SR without use of hangers. Only thing I just realized I may be missing is that the custom hangerless SR may only be possible in a SOA suspension. Not sure. Its up to you. :dunno:

2" up front, 4" in the back... sounds like a mullet (hair style) to me.

Sorry for the infoless post, it just struck me funny. No aggression intended.

LOL Mark,
Fear the mullet!

mullet.jpg

I have that shackle reversal (MAF) on my 40, it scrubs on rocks, not too badly but can be a bit annoying when trying to approach really steep inclines. The cruiser handles OK on the street. If it's possible with spring under cruisers, the shackle reversals that use the factory hangers up front are really sweet looking and don't hurt approach angle as much, but I don't think you get any lift from those. As for the 2.5 f/4"r I've seen people run 35s with that set up. I'm running 2.5" greasable, entended shackles in the rear with the MAF reversal up front with 2" springs (they're old, rusty and probably a little saggy) and my rig is pretty level with plenty of clearance for 33s.

I run my 45 on T.I Console parabolic springs,they give incredible articulation & about 4" lift at the front,they also handle well on the street.I have had to do a SOA at the rear to compensate as they didn't do rear springs for the 45 at the time.You can see my cruiser in the 45 section of readers rides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom