2 1/2" Lift Kits and Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In selecting a 2 1/2" lift kit for my 1975 fj40 I am seeing lots of alternatives. Every sales persons suspension is the best. I a am courious what others feel about their suspensions.
The FJ40 is going to be used both on and off road.

Thanks,
Petescoffee

gotta go with skyjacker softrides, and ranch rs5000's, the only way to go. And very cost affective. wont find a smoother(is that a word) ride and very flexy.

I just installed a 4" Skyjacker on my '78 FJ40 this weekend, and I have to say that it rides smoother than what it did on the original suspension. Granted, the hardened & deteriorated rubber bushings were undoubtedly contributing factors, but I have to say that I don't regret going with the Skyjacker lift.

I have read good things about the skyjacker (off road magazine) and spoke to one sales person regarding them.
How where they to install?
Some of the sales reps say that lift kits are not complete and you need additional parts. Any information on this or are the Skyjacker kits complete?

I'll say Skyjacker springs too but IMO Rancho shocks are utter junk - I like the Doestch Tech DT3000's and have run them for over 10 years. Installed a set of Ranchos for a couple days and returned them - stiff.

If you are more street-geared and not as much offroad, look into the OME stuff....unmatched highway manners and good offroad too, but not cheap.

steering should not need to be touched. the only thing you may need to check with aftermarket kits is spring bushings...Skyjacker includes, but make sure they are for stock pin sizes.

You need:
springs
bushings
u-bolts
shocks

you might need:
aftermarket shackles/bolts, if yours are buggered
aftermarked pins for the solid mounts, if yours fight on their removal

skyjacker should include everything in their kit....lay it all out before starting and corss-reference every part before starting.

Installed a Downey kit once and one bushing of 16 was a different hole size....truck sat for 3 more days waiting for the part...(well, it would have if I hadn't pulled a used one off the shelf and "made" it work temporarily....)

I second Woody's opinion on the rancho shocks, they suck. I also run DT 3000's and am very pleased, wish they still made their 9-way, although that would be more money.

Skyjacker lifts are the virtually the same between the 2 1/2" & 4".  So, from my research this is what I've found, and, what I can confirm from my 4" kit.

The Skyjacker kits for the FJ40 do NOT include shocks.  However, the store you purchase from may include shocks with their kit.  The Skyjacker kit does come with the 4 leaf springs (these vary depending on which of the 3 Skyjacker lifts--2 1/2" all around, 4" all around, or 2 1/2" front & 4" rear--you get) & a component box.  The component box will contain the 8 new U-bolts, 16 nylon lock nuts, and 16 red poly bushings for the leaf spring eyelets.

While preparing for my lift, I also opted to purchase:
1.) 4x greasable spring pins
2.) 4x greasable shackles (tri-shackles in my case)
3.) 4x U-bolt skid plates (as the stock front ones were hammered)
4.) 8x poly bushings (2 each for where the shackles go through the leaf spring hangers...don't buy new ones for the spring pins, as they use the red Skyjacker bushings...yeah, I made this mistake  :-[ ...*SIGH* Want to buy some black poly bushings?!?  hehe)
5.) extended front & rear stainless, braided brake lines
6.) ...and, last but not least, 4 dark forest green shock boots from ProComp to match my FJ40

In total, I think I added about $350 to the price of the lift, but on the bright side, I've not only got a totally new suspension, it is completely greasable & using poly bushings, as opposed to the old, worn out & deteriorated rubber bushings.

As Woody has mentioned, make sure you verify the number & size of all the parts.  Thankfully, the Skyjacker component box came complete, and my other purchases covered the rest of the suspension system.

Just my 2 cents. I installed a super lift about a year ago. It made my cruiser ride like a buck board and had zero flex. Needless to say the kit is laying in my shed taking up space now.

I have some OME shocks if you are interested in them. They are for that much lift. Email me if you are interested.
Thanks
Pablo
pablonavrot@yahoo.com

I went with a kit from procomp, very rough ride, not sure if it's the springs or the es3000 shocks!

I would definately recommend the Skyjacker Nitro shocks if you go with Skyjacker springs. They are valved to give you a nice cushy ride. I have the 4" Skyjacker lift with Nitros and I love the ride and flex...

there is a 4" Skyjacker lift on ebay from JToutfitters as we speak..buy it now of 599.99...only the springs, bushings, and ubolts...good deal or not? its brand new...

Bad deal, call 4wheel parts for stuff like that.

Woody, were can I purchase Doestch tech shocks online?

Or at a store.

I get my DT's thru http://www.summitracing.com but you need to enter in the direct part number - see the shock spreadsheet in the tech links to determine what lengths you need.

IIRC, summit is $28 each delivered or something stupid-cheap like that....BUT, since they aren't stocked, it may be a week-four before they deliver....

IIRC, DesertRat carries them too....I think.....

I have too install my longer shock mounts before I order them anyways. :D

Is it me or does summit always have the cool stuff dirt cheap.

If you go with DT's the part #'s for a 2.5" lift are:

DT3163 front
DT3231 rear

careful - rear shocks mounts are not the same for a 74 (axle mount) as a 77 (u-bolt plate mount)

I assume those numbers are for the 74? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom