Builds 1st FJ40, '76 - SMOKEY - Puttin’ her Back Together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seriously consider cross bracing.

$0.02

Cheating a little here with what's in the picture but back to what VV's about to do, here's what Bret's gloss black powder coating looks like. Just delivered it up to the shop and put the body freshly painted back on. Ahhh...
32 on black.jpg

I have found a commercial blast cabinet and 100# pressure pot right under my nose. My buddy owns a trophy company and they have a Rayzist (similar to this one http://www.rayzist.com/store/Sandcarving_Equipment.php/sandblasting-equipment-2034vxa.php, but not an automatic recycler).

Has a nice vacuum system and dust collector on it. Since they've not used it for 10 years, and have a nicer one now, I think he wants a mere $400 for it.

View attachment 910134 View attachment 910136

...via IH8MUD app
Hi, I'm making my own version of being sandblasting cabinet, but can not understand the system of collection of dirt, can help me with some images from the back to define the operation and try them for my cabin, I thank you very kindly your collaboration and provide my email address to send images or video is possible caferbur@yahoo.es again thank you.

Hi, I'm making my own version of being sandblasting cabinet, but can not understand the system of collection of dirt, can help me with some images from the back to define the operation and try them for my cabin, I thank you very kindly your collaboration and provide my email address to send images or video is possible caferbur@yahoo.es again thank you.

Sending some images to your email. Glad to help.

Well, I'm back. I picked up the engine today from the builder. He was glad to get his money after sitting on the engine for six months after it was done. I just couldn't make room for it in my garage until now. I actually forced myself to go get it so that I would make the room in the garage for it.

All stripped-down and taken apart it's much smaller than I remembered.

While carrying it back to my house on the trailer, a man about my age on a Harley stopped and motioned to me through the window. When I rolled it down he said "is that a straight six?"

I laughed and said yes it was from a Toyota Land Cruiser. He said that's really cool, I love those but I'm a jeep guy myself. That figures, he was riding a Harley....

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429931742.116865.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429931766.494617.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429931784.503872.jpg

Last edited:
Today I made the door braces. I modeled them after someone who was bracing a corvette. I liked the triangle design- looked very rigid.

I used some 3/16" x 1.5" angle (scrap from the steel yard - about $2 for 2 x 12" pieces), and some 14ga 3/4" square tube - pretty thin stuff ($18 for a 20' stick).

I screwed the angle into the door striker and door keeper holes (holes were 42mm and 44mm apart center to center respectively).

Then tacked the square tube to the angle, removed and welded "properly" (though if Sarge were watching, he'd certainly cringe - really crappy welding vs my rotisserie). I added a small cross member to each to further stiffen the 3/4" tube.

I plan to weld one crossmember from the left front to the right rear doors brace to give additional rigidity to the body before pulling the body from the frame (again).

Tacked
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430022727.659523.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430022773.549937.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430022791.642388.jpg

Finished
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430022810.615438.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430022830.079047.jpg

Last edited:
A little trimming and sell them as ladder bars for a rat rod...

Finished the bracing. Cross-braced both sides. It's not moving now.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430097084.674578.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430097121.990605.jpg

I started thinking about bracing the rear door but I'm out of tube, and ready to get it off the frame.

Here is the cluster F of trying to move it to the rotisserie by myself.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430097149.536507.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430098105.344778.jpg

Had a small accident the other day when trying to put it back on the frame. The rear rotisserie segment collapsed when I took the center tube out. It tore through the rear sill where the bolts were attached to the rotisserie, but the rear sill is being replaced anyway since it's rusted out. Luckily I was able to catch the body and not let it hit the ground.

And after some adjustment and a family meal, SMOKEY is in da house! She's just a shell of her former self (har har).

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430106142.678091.jpg

This is a big day. First time it's been in the garage in any manner. Frame is officially free to be cleaned and coated. Body is ready for work.

Last edited:
Another goal reached! Way to go Scott. I may be able to add to your gloss black powder coat order. Maybe we can get a batch deal together. It worked for me last time...

Here is the cluster F of trying to move it to the rotisserie by myself.

Nothing like doing it ALL by yourself to bring forth ingenuity and creativity in solving the problem. Congrats.;)

@Vae Victus what are you planning for body work?
I'm trying to get a plan of attack for the body work. Here is what I propose:

- Cut out known areas (floor panels, etc). Repair/replace. Spray area with rattlecan primer.
- Personally sand blast suspect areas showing rust (rear sill, rear wheel wells, etc). Repair areas, rattlecan primer said areas.
- Have someone sandblast the body, and primer it with good spray on primer after an inspection by me to find other repair-needed areas. Repair, rattlecan primer.

- Have my grandchildren (who are not born yet) roll me out to the garage to begin the paint job. Sigh.
- Ask my wife's uncle if I can use his paint booth to do the paint job.....

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing this - but pay attention to the welded seams between panels. This is where the most sinister cancer forms, and it's also damn near impossible to get to without breaking apart the spot welds and separating the panels. This, to me, would be a nightmare. When it comes time to do this on the Clustertruck, I may "cheat" and try the following:

It may not be as "permanent" a solution as breaking the welds to get to the rust, but it may be at least somewhat worthwhile to pull out the seam sealer, dump some rust converter/phosphoric acid and some thinned out POR15 or something into the seams, then hit it with a fresh coat of seam sealer. May not permanently stop the rust, but it should at least slow it down...

Someone with more bodywork experience might come through with a better idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom