1HZ smoke (muppet) question (sorry!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
quick smoke quesiton on my troopies (1997 HZJ75) ageing 1HZ

on a run donw a big hill - running against compression all the way donw at about 60kmh for about 4 minutes, get to the bottom and put the foot down - fair bit of white smoke out the exhaust for a good 15-20 seconds, also after being sat at the traffic lights for a while and then on take off a small puff of smoke (grey/white)
Wife was driving behind me up the hill the other day and said was blowing a bit of white/grey smoke (under load)
Assume that my valve seals are worn, we use a bit of oil but not much - could the smoke under load be underfueling?
She has done 360,000km and starts fine cold but after a long run turns over a lot before firing - assume this is because the oil is "thinner" when hot which means compressions must be down too?

Running against the compression lowers the exhaust gas temperature and the white smoke is most likely a product of that(combustion that is too cool).It is mainly condensation. I can drop the coolant temperature from the cyl head from 90c to 50-60c in that amount of time coasting down a big hill in gear

The other problem of hard starts when warmed up is often a symptom of a worn injection pump. If it hasnt been rebuilt in 360000klms ,you have had a good run that has come to an end. Needs a bench test to confirm.
Another symptom of a worn fuel can be a loss of power at the top end when warm but ok when cooler.
This is the pump expanding , losing the fine tolerance and the ability to squeeze the fuel through the injectors.
When it cools and contracts ,it's ok.
The rest of the engine is probably fine , its just having a mid life crisis.

Running against the compression lowers the exhaust gas temperature and the white smoke is most likely a product of that(combustion that is too cool).It is mainly condensation. I can drop the coolant temperature from the cyl head from 90c to 50-60c in that amount of time coasting down a big hill in gear

The other problem of hard starts when warmed up is often a symptom of a worn injection pump. If it hasnt been rebuilt in 360000klms ,you have had a good run that has come to an end. Needs a bench test to confirm.
Another symptom of a worn fuel can be a loss of power at the top end when warm but ok when cooler.
This is the pump expanding , losing the fine tolerance and the ability to squeeze the fuel through the injectors.
When it cools and contracts ,it's ok.
The rest of the engine is probably fine , its just having a mid life crisis.

thanks Rosco - i was going to flush the engine with CEM to see if that helped (suggest the rings etc have some build up) just had the injectors done and that made a bit of difference (to power) will look at a pump recon - presume that wont be cheap!
cheers
billy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom