1hdt laminova intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok well time that i got on with the intercooler but all that was achieved was working out where to mount it.first of i was going to mount it north south but then i was going to have bonnet clearance issues. so in the end it is going to be easier to mount it east west and then i wont have any bonnet clearance issues.
intake flange adaptor
inteercooler002.jpg

l/h view
inteercooler003.jpg

r/h view
inteercooler004.jpg

proposed finished look
inteercooler.jpg

ok here are some pics of the heat exchanger that i have done for the cooler. i am ging to have to change the port on the top right as my grill does not fit. it is fitted with 2 10 inch therms that have dimples on the blades like a golf ball. apperntly these will flow more than a spal thermo.
currently driving around like you see in the pics without the thermos running and water temps are still good.
cruiser008.jpg

cruiser009.jpg

cruiser010.jpg

Man that thing looks great.

I didn't go with the water to air intercooler for the cost and for the reliability of the core, but those laminova cores have the reputation of being really well built. I think water to air is the best way for an intercooler in a 4wd.

By the way the water inlets on that front cooler are huge, I've seen the 4wdbits water to air intercooler setup and the water passes are much smaller.

I thought you had the cross country top mount intercooler, replaced it for any particular reason or you just wanted more power?

no mate this is the first intercooler for the cruiser. was originally going to do air to air have the cooler still sitting in the shed but changed my mind. thought i would give this a go and see what happens. spent like 4 hours yesterday working out the best way to fit it. but hopefully we are onto a winner.

hey mate water temp is still fine. havent even wired up the thermos yet and it is summer over here. i was a bit worried about it but so far so good.

hey mate water temp is still fine. havent even wired up the thermos yet and it is summer over here. i was a bit worried about it but so far so good.

Air flow is not your only concern. You will be adding heat to the air that will pass through your engines radiator. Hopefully the radiator has the extra capacity. It probably won't be any worse than a front mount air to air.

I do like the size of your heat exchanger. That is where most people go wrong. Did you make it or buy it from somewhere?

Todd

I do like the size of your heat exchanger. That is where most people go wrong. Did you make it or buy it from somewhere?

Todd

When you consider that engine radiator has to dissipate over 100kw of heat and the intercooler radiator will rarely see 10kw of heat. I think it's a little bit of overkill.

But since it fits, may as well use it.:cheers:

ok the radiator is from a corrola which had plastic tanks. cut them off put some alloy tanks on. it was the biggest radiator i could fit core size was about 600x350 and it is only a single core. but i dont think it can be any worse than a front mount that could be up to 75 to 100mm thick

ok the radiator is from a corrola which had plastic tanks. cut them off put some alloy tanks on. it was the biggest radiator i could fit core size was about 600x350 and it is only a single core. but i dont think it can be any worse than a front mount that could be up to 75 to 100mm thick

A bigger but thinner radiator is ideal. Most people can't fit one in that size, so you've done well.

okay so option 2 for mounting the cooler is to intergrate it into the manifold.
reasons this is better
- less heat soak from engine
- should be less restriction this way (airflow)
problems
- accelarator cable is in the road
- engine dipstick is in the road
- cooler cannot go over rocker cover (serviceability)
P2241355.jpg

P2241356.jpg

so if i do go with intergrating it into the manifold i would like to use the existing cross over pipe. cut the end of the pipe off put bolt on flange onto pipe and onto side of cooler so cross over pipe can be removed. the major hurdle with intergrating it into the manifold is the accelarator cable if any body has any ideas on what i can do to over come this problem let me know.

how many more do you think i need? might have to swap over to the micro relay and then i can get twice as many.

and if any of use want more info related to the operation of these intercoolers and what they can be fitted to pm matt mcinnes post 12 he will be able to help use out with all the specs.

Why not rotate the cooler 90 deg and make flange to fit the manifold and hosetail on the other side to fit existing feed ? (that is, rotate 90 from the first pic or move it over the centre from the last)

ic.JPG

Last edited:
ok well i got 2 manifolds the other day and this is what i have done with one of them so far( sandblasted and cut out hole for cooler. and this is pretty how much it is going to look.
manifold001.jpg

manifold002.jpg

manifold004.jpg

manifold003.jpg

manifold005.jpg

Just what I planned for the curved end caps :D

After thought, how you going to weld it ?

Last edited:
When you consider that engine radiator has to dissipate over 100kw of heat and the intercooler radiator will rarely see 10kw of heat. I think it's a little bit of overkill.

But since it fits, may as well use it.:cheers:

Overkill is perfect for a intercooler radiator. You obviously want maximum cooling of the water returning to the I/C core. As long as the size does not cause other problems like blocking flow to the engines radiator, you can't get one too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom