1HD-T engine cut out on steep incline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My new to me 1992 HDJ81 cut power on me today while going up a fairly steep incline. I was in 4LO, centre diff locked, just crawling up to see how high I could get. Once we got really steep, the engine cut out. I had 3/4 tank of diesel. I backed down about 50 feet with no engine, power brakes or steering. And it fired right up again. No problems all the way home. Any one have any ideas as to why this happened? I was thinking low fuel on the incline could cause the pickup to go dry, but we weren't crawling for more than 10 seconds before this happened, and there should be waaay more fuel in the lines/pump for it to run dry after just 10-15 seconds of steep incline.

Thanks in advance.

1992 HDJ81, 234K, Marks partime 4wd, triple locked, auto, 265/75/15 stockers.

I am not sure. The weak springs in the injection pump lead to a low idle on inclines, but usually do not cause any symptms when throttle is applied.
This sounds more like the oil sensor in the pan, that shuts down the truck when thinking there is no more oil, like on steep inclines. Torque, check your oil pan, there might be a sensor on it (driver side I think).

I am not sure. The weak springs in the injection pump lead to a low idle on inclines, but usually do not cause any symptms when throttle is applied.
This sounds more like the oil sensor in the pan, that shuts down the truck when thinking there is no more oil, like on steep inclines. Torque, check your oil pan, there might be a sensor on it (driver side I think).
There's no oil pan sensor on early HDJ81's at least.

If you tilted too far and sucked air you would probably notice and have to reprime. Starvation from sub size lines could be culprit. Later trucks had 12mm supply vs 10mm on early. The fix is walbro etc electric pump.

I had a one way check valve on my fuel like on the engine bay to help with this .. but the electric pump was the real solution for me even with the later bigger lines which I have from factory.

See post 2 by Mudgudgeon, the problem is well documented and I have seen about 6-7 owners of HDJ80 with the same problem.
There was one guy in Haiti but he stopped posting same time as the big earthquake.I often wonder if the 80 got flattened or if it was him.
Sometimes they stall ,sometimes the idle drops so low it barely runs.

Mine regularly shut down while crawling up a steep incline. Definitely when at idle, can't remember if it happened when throttle was applied.
Mine would restart on the incline after a bit of cranking, so it wasn't lack of fuel in fuel lines .

My 105 has an oil level sensor, it doesn't shut the engine down, it just lights up on the dash

My MY93 HDJ80 Has the oil pan sensor fitted.

My automatic HDJ does the steep incline stall thing too. Only ever when at idle rpm.
I pull the hand throttle on to about 1000 rpm and that's enough to ensure it will not stop.

Thanks for all the help. Lots of suggestions to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom