1998 Toyota Corolla Won't Start -- Spark Plugs?

Discussion in 'General Tech - Auto and Truck' started by Marcus1983, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus1983

Marcus1983 SILVER Star

My 1998 Corolla wouldn't start yesterday. It has ~117,000 miles.
    - No CEL and no ODBII codes.
    - 1/4 tank gas
    - Tried jumpstarting -- no help
    - Engines sounds like it is turning over

I last drove it on Friday and it was sounding a little rough. I had been having some hesitancy starting a couple of weeks ago. I changed the oil and the problem went away. I am pretty sure I let the oil go too long (~8,000 miles). I was using mobil 1 5w-30 and oem filter. I am commuting ~800 to 1,000 miles per week, so it crept up on me pretty fast.

I am planning to replace the spark plugs tonight. Should I also change the wires and coils while I am at it?
    I already have a new drive belt and tensioner that I had been meaning to install -- the old belt looks fine, but was making a little bit of noise. I will probably do that tonight as well.

I posted a clip here:
    YouTube - 1998 Toyota Corolla Won't Start

My other thoughts are:
    - fuel injectors, pump, etc
    - something electrical with the starter?
    - timing chaing problem?
    - compression problem?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am very much a beginner with automotive stuff. It would be awesome if someone would be able to listen to the clip I posted and say: it sounds like X, Y, Z. I planning to check out the spark plugs, wires etc because it seems like the cheapest thing to tackle and the most likely culprit at this point.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

2. Marcus1983

Marcus1983 SILVER Star

Well that was a lot easier than I expected.
    I replaced the spark plugs and wires and she fired right up.
    The spark plugs looked good, but the gap was way out of spec. No indication of fouling as I had feared.

And. . . what I thought was a bad clutch was actually just hesitation at acceleration.

Awesome.

3. wxm

wxm SILVER Star

:clap:

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

my daughter's tercel was running ok, I went ahead and changed the ORIGINAL 10 YEAR OLD spark plugs, ran like a new car after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.