1997 FZJ80 Oil Capacity (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the general consensus on the Mobil 1 filter for our application?

[quote author=ParadiseCruiser link=board=2;threadid=4319;start=msg32630#msg32630 date=1061069130]
For as often as oil gets changed around here, and the pros and cons of "new gasket" v. "old gasket," I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned Fumoto's wonder valve...

This is infinitely easier... no more gaskets, no more rounded bolt heads on the drain plug, yada yada. No affiliation, just a more efficient way to change the oil.

Cheers, R -
[/quote]

Except for one problem, the drain plug on the Cruiser is dead center sticking down from the bottom of the pan. The fumoto would end up protruding 1" down and be exposed to rocks, or whatever else you hit on the trail (or even road). I can see the reports now, "80 Series Lancruiser run hits problems as oil drain valves snap off of 10 vehicles, Mobil to the rescue with 55 gallon drum." :p

As far as the Mobil one filter, it should be fine, but I always recommend buying factory filters (or for German Cars, OEM filters like Mann, Knecht, etc). I figure the factory might know a thing or two about what the filter requirements are.

Cary

"On-lookers noted that the remaining vehicle in running condition had a stock drain plug AND the 55 gallon drum in the back. The driver appeared smug as he accepted cash for oil and plugs and rental 14mm wrenches. Authorities suspect a set-up......"

That fumpto thingie would definitely get called a lot of nasty things around here. Maybe it's ok for those west coast non wheeling dudes :flipoff2: (yeah, aimed at you mofos) :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D :D

Oil Change interval? You mean it should be changed? :eek: :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: every 5k using amSPOIL. :flipoff2:

I saw a doo-hickey the other day (maybe a Fram) that was a plug replacement. To change the oil, you inserted a special fitting (hose) and the oil comes out. Might be worth looking into instead of the Fumoto dealie-o....

No big deal though to just pull the 14mm bolt for me. I did a LOF on both of the DD's last night.

Jim

The suredrain seems like a nice idea, but doesn't seem to have any real benifit over the stock drainplug. You have to have their special hose to drain or else pull out the pluge, no real benifit. Just use a 14mm wrench. That and the suredrain still sticks out a little more, but not nearly as much as the Fumoto.

What's up with Junk, he seems really happy today??!!!! :D :D :D :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Cary,

Not to worry. Bet ya 5 bucks he's back to normal soon ::)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4319;start=msg33269#msg33269 date=1061321905]
Not to worry. Bet ya 5 bucks he's back to normal soon ::)
[/quote]
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Cary,

Unm......See......I told you ::)

Hey Junkster :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :banana: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Holy thread revival. Is an 11 year thread revival a record?

Oh - change every 5K now with the 20004 filter. Believe it or not, back in '94, Yota recommended 7500 mile oil changes with dino, not synthetic.

Question from an Aussie

Why is the small filter better than the large?
I've always used the large filter..

AFAIK the only drawback is fear for a non-existant or non-functioning anti-drainback protection that would further delay oil flow on startup. FWIW I chose PureOne PL 10241. (no tools needed to install or remove)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom