1993 blew Hg and has a ton of oil in the intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just blew the head gasket on my 1993 and started to pull it apart. I got the exhasut and the upper intake of and noticed alot of oil in the intake. Also the valve cover bolts were not even finger tight. what would cause all the oil in the intake? Is there any thing i should look for after the head comes off of the engine?

1) How do you know you blew your HG?

2) A blown HG won't cause oil in the intake. Far more likely your PCV valve or hoses (mine was sucking oil due to a split hose).

3) Have you looked at the FAQ and searched for the dozens of threads that make suggestions for other things to do while you're in there?

check under the oil cap for milky brown residue, pull the plugs and keep them in order, check for an odd colored plug or two, do a compression check, check the radiator for oil and low fluid. Depending if it was overheated bad enough it could have burned a piston and valve seat causing oil to be pushed up through the intake......I have seen it happen on a 22r,..... compression check will reveal the prob.

1) How do you know you blew your HG?

2) A blown HG won't cause oil in the intake. Far more likely your PCV valve or hoses (mine was sucking oil due to a split hose).

3) Have you looked at the FAQ and searched for the dozens of threads that make suggestions for other things to do while you're in there?

I know the HG blew because i was pumping coolant out the tail pipe.

Also i did notice a big split in my breather hose. would this also have something to do with my oil consumption issues i have incountered?

Thanks

well i got it apart last night and the HG is blown on cylinder number one. From what i have read this is some what odd. Also i have discovered that some hack artist must have pulled the intake off at one point in time as there was loose bolts and the number 4 injector was bearly plugged in. so my hope is that once i have made my repairs it should be like a new truck.

does anyone have a suggestions one getting the nuts off of the exhasut manifolds? the one were they meet the down pipe to the cats.

My HG blew last month and it was on the number #1 as well. It was completely steam cleaned and the gasket had a nice notch in the gasket.

My buddy just blew a head gasket and it was on the forward facing part of number 1..... an inch and a half of firering was melted out.....by the way his number one piston rings got fried as well...... do yourself a favor while it is apart....spray a ton of wd40 or like fluid into the cylinder and see if it leaks through rapidly..... dont want to find out after the fact what my friend did.....:doh:

well i got it apart last night and the HG is blown on cylinder number one. From what i have read this is some what odd. Also i have discovered that some hack artist must have pulled the intake off at one point in time as there was loose bolts and the number 4 injector was bearly plugged in. so my hope is that once i have made my repairs it should be like a new truck.

does anyone have a suggestions one getting the nuts off of the exhasut manifolds? the one were they meet the down pipe to the cats.

I have good luck with PB blaster on seized nuts. Apply liberally, let them soak for an hour or so and try to crank on them again. Reapplying every hour or so and letting them sit over night is even better.

My buddy just blew a head gasket and it was on the forward facing part of number 1..... an inch and a half of firering was melted out.....by the way his number one piston rings got fried as well...... do yourself a favor while it is apart....spray a ton of wd40 or like fluid into the cylinder and see if it leaks through rapidly..... dont want to find out after the fact what my friend did.....:doh:

thanks for the heads up I will check that out before I put it back together. I shut it down as soon as i noticed the temp creeping up because I knew something was not normal. Also I did not notice any milky stuff in my oil that would usally be a sign of water in it.:bang:

I have good luck with PB blaster on seized nuts. Apply liberally, let them soak for an hour or so and try to crank on them again. Reapplying every hour or so and letting them sit over night is even better.

I will give it a try I just used the last I had in the garage on a diffrent truck I replaced the engine in for a friend. I have tried every other type of lub I could find.

I was trying to post upo some pics of this mess but it does not seem to want to work

landcruiser12009007.jpg

here are my cams and cam bearing caps all laid out.
landcruiser12009009.jpg

Does that kit in the back ground have the updated head gasket? If not it is a waste of time to do the job if you are planing on keeping this truck for any time(JMHO)?
Maybe some one can post a link to one of the threads where they show the differences. Good luck with your job.

If PB doesn't loosen the nut, heat will. The best is a de-tuned oxy/acetylene torch turned down in temp, get the bolt orange, then let it cool to where it's not glowing anymore, then torque it. That usually does the trick. Try to avoid heating the stud while you're heating the bolt.

Worn compression rings can allow a lot of blowby, that will allow oil to accumulate in the intake manifold.

Does that kit in the back ground have the updated head gasket? If not it is a waste of time to do the job if you are planing on keeping this truck for any time(JMHO)?
Maybe some one can post a link to one of the threads where they show the differences. Good luck with your job.

i will have to look into that. i was not aware i guess that there were diffrent ones i ordered it from were i get all my Toyota parts and most of them come right from Japan

That doesn't look like a Toyota gasket package. Also, you may find certain O rings and other minor seals not included in your kit. Best choice for this kit is to call Cdan as he has figured out all the things not included in even the factory Toyota kit and includes them - a few bucks for each seal but a bummer to reassemble with old seals here and there.

DougM

That doesn't look like a Toyota gasket package. Also, you may find certain O rings and other minor seals not included in your kit. Best choice for this kit is to call Cdan as he has figured out all the things not included in even the factory Toyota kit and includes them - a few bucks for each seal but a bummer to reassemble with old seals here and there.
DougM

You are correct it is not a Toyota kit it is a kit from japan that i used with very good results on my 22Re in my 4runner and the 22re turbo engine in my trekker and the POS 3.0 in my DD 1994 pick up

I went through the kit that I got and all the seals that I removed are in there. I also bought the gasket for the oil cooler while I was at it. I got all the monnor stuff from Toyota breather hoses PCV front crank seal etc.

Did you pull the short aluminum water pipe on the right side of the block at the front (2" diameter ish) and find the 3 O rings in there? It's tough to get off. You can wiggle it and that's because they've shrunk and flattened. Be patient and use a rag over pliers teeth and keep working it. Those will seep one day and you'll be glad they're fresh.

DougM

Did you pull the short aluminum water pipe on the right side of the block at the front (2" diameter ish) and find the 3 O rings in there? It's tough to get off. You can wiggle it and that's because they've shrunk and flattened. Be patient and use a rag over pliers teeth and keep working it. Those will seep one day and you'll be glad they're fresh.

DougM

yes I did pull that off of the engine. I seemed to come of relativly easily. I had to get those from Toyota as well.

I have yet to be able to get the nuts on my exhaust manifold loose yet. :mad: But I have not tried heating it up yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom