1992 FJ80 Cummins 4bt diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Meticulous 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 Cummins 4bt diesel conversion. A highly detailed project, the only driveline parts with original mileage on them are the front and rear axles. Everything on this conversion was completed with an eye for detail and an emphasis on durability and maintenance of original systems. It was built primarily along the design ideas, and with tech support of Proffitt's Cruisers (Though there is no official connection between this vehicle and Proffitt). Nothing of any questionable condition was retained, all parts were the best I could find.

With the exception of a few minor flaws, the interior and exterior are in better than average condition; this was originally a Colorado and southern California vehicle that was always garaged and well maintained. No rust.

The 4bt happily runs on any mix of biodiesel and its high clearance and accessibility makes for a relatively easy SVO or WVO conversion. It generally runs smoother on a biodiesel mix or with the addition of Stanadyne/PowerKlean or other cetane boosters.

Drivability: Fuel mileage is about 18 in town, 20.5 on the highway. Starts easily and cruises happily at 60 to 75 mph. Fuel pump is turned up slightly to increase low-boost power while maintaining fuel economy. Horsepower/torque can be increased easily with pump modification, intercooler installation and injector re-sizing.

The 4bt is a loud, heavy engine and may or may not be suitable as a daily driver depending on your tolerance for noise and shakiness. It is fairly similar to driving an early generation (12 valve) Dodge Cummins Ram.

Defects/future thoughts: Driver's side seat has worn fabric and vinyl. Some sun-fading and chipping of interior vinyl. There are some clear coat scratches and one driver's side paint chip. Glass has normal wear around the wiper path.
See above about living with the 4b vibration and sound.
Front driveshaft was damaged during one of my many configuration attempts and needs rebalancing. I have not done so because there is no real noticeable vibration at modest 4wd speeds.
Tie rod ends are frozen up and have prevented getting the vehicle aligned. It tracks just fine at highway speeds however. At least one tie rod would have to be replaced to have an alignment done. Again, I have not gotten to it as the highway speed alignment feels just fine.
The a/c compressor takes a lot of vibration in its current placement. It's really the only thing under the hood I wish I had placed differently. I would not be surprised if it does not last forever.
Steeper gears for the front diff are rumored to exist in Europe, but I could not find them. Bigger tires, regearing the trans case, or coming up with taller R&P set up would bring the engine rpms down more squarely into the 4B comfort zone of 1800 ish on the highway at 65mph and reduce noise and fuel consumption.
Noise and vibration at this point are quite livable for a daily driver, provided the driver understands they are driving a rig more like a 12 valve Cummins Ram truck than a gas cruiser. There is always room for improvement though.

No expense or time was spared on this project and I am sad to part with it.
With care, this is easily a 300,000 mile drive train set up. It is hella fun to drive and the buckets of low end torque are like nothing else out there. Its never been abused or wheeled—I've had a hard time coming up with an excuse to get into High 4 even on snow or the steep dirt boonie roads where I live.

Price is $13500 is firm. I am open to a partial trade offers for an 85-95 two or four wheel drive Toyota truck or 4Runner. Just please understand I have +$20k in receipts on this rig and, so no, I'm not interested in trading it straight across for your beat up 4Runner with new lockers.:)

Addendum: Vehicle now has about 7,000 miles on it since everything was installed (meaning anything called new below has about 5k on it at this point.)

Recent work: Replaced the battery draining interior clock with a solar/wireless temp gauge.
Replaced inner axle grease seals on front axle and repacked Birfield/wheel bearings with grease.

Specs:
109,000 Cummins 4bt diesel engine with nearly new compression, new seals and paint

Re-tipped injectors
Custom heavy duty six-lug low stall torque converter
Custom K-case heavy duty 700r4 automatic transmission
Bomb-proof Advance Adapters 700r4/FJ60 transfer case adapter
Hydro-boost hydraulic brake system
Custom pcv system and filter
800cca Optima battery with disconnect
3” exhaust
New Cooper ATR tires
Custom intake/cold weather heater with fuel assist
EGT/boost/trans. temp gauge panel
Electric block heater
Electric Toy fuel pump
New 75 amp alternator
Rebuilt FJ60 shiftable part time 4WD transfer case
Balanced and fitted drivelines. CV style double-cardan rear driveline
Synthetic lubricants through out (except brake fluid, wheel bearing greases).
Above average interior and exterior (driver's seat has some fabric and vinyl wear, exterior has a few minor scratches)
Registered and smogged in Multnomah County, Oregon
Premium Warn locking hubs
Sony USB capable stereo system with remote
Factory alarm system and wireless key fob
Dakota Digital tachometer system
Sound and vibration proofing (If you're familiar with the 4bt you'll know this is a relative concept!)
Cold air conditioning
Fluidampr harmonic canceling front pulley
All original gauges and functions operable (except factory cruise control)
3200 rpm pump fuel spring
Undercarriage rust proofing
Tow package (electric harness and hitch receiver) and transmission cooler, temperature warning light
High end Old Man Emu 3” spring lift, shocks, and camber correction. Extra 1” shock spacers on front
Biodiesel friendly polyurethane fuel lines
Electric radiator fan
K&R permanent air filter
New front wheel bearings and brakes all around. Rotors and discs all recently turned.
Sunroof and rear cabin heater
Rear foldable jump seats for eight person seating
Retractable antenna
New pneumatic hood struts
Liquid filled motor mounts
Gear driven power steering/hydroboost pump
Loctite and Grade 8 or better hardware all over the place
<br>
For lots of pictures, including many of the build up
go here
Thanks for looking.
CIMG2518.jpg
engine bay.jpg
CIMG2520.jpg

Last edited:
nice ride, location?

Hi Bugsnbikes. Yes, I go up to Sebastopol regularly to see my family. If you're interested in having a look send me a PM and I'll give you my phone #. As Fast Eddy said, I am in Monterey County (Cachagua).

Thanks,
Josh

Yup, sold to guy who splits his time between Humboldt and Montana. I believe he registered it in Montana.

gauge pod

Where did you find the in dash gauge set up?
thanks

gauge pod

Where did you find the in dash gauge set up?
thanks

I assume you mean the boost/mani. temp set up? Pretty standard online order; only thing special was an LC specific trim plate. I don't even remember where I got it but I am sure you can find plenty of options.

Great, Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom