1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 price

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by petescoffee, Jul 17, 2003.

1. petescoffee

petescoffee

I stumbled across a 1991 that I am considering. I already have a FJ40 and 80 would be nice. The catch is that it has a blown motor. What do you think the LC is worth? I priced a few wrecking yard motors and was told if I can find one they might be $3-4000 or more.
    Thanks for the input.

2. Rogue

Rogue

A 1991 with a blown motor could likely be had for quite a deal. I would guess between 2500 and 4000 depending on the rest of the truck. A Chebby 350 could be had for another 1000 and intalled for another. That gives you a good base for a nice trail rig for about ~$6k. Not bad considering that the newer ones are still costing closer to ~$10k.

3. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Rogue is spot on.... Also, cruiserparts.net has a listing for a 3FE with 139K on it for $1000.

91-92 Good Vintage! :D

-H-

4. Rogue

Rogue

No point in getting a 3FE with 139k for $1k when you could have a 350 crate motor for the same.

H,

93-94 is better vintage... 8)

5. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Having gone the chevy 350 route twice previously, I personally like having a factory Toyota motor in the rig. No BS with the drivetrain or cooling system modifications; no worrying about stock guages working etc. No mixing and matching parts for your Toyota from a 1977 Chevy 3/4 ton truck, getting crappy aftermarket V8 junk.... my list could go on.

(Of course, I may still convert my 80 when it goes.... ;) 8) )

-H-

O yeah, when you get that crate motor, plan on spending another $1K to $5K on the fuel injection system, exhaust, intake manifold, water pump, pulleys, alternator, starter etc...

Dang, brings back the good 'ol days... :-\

6. petescoffee

petescoffee

Thanks for the information. I rebuilt the 2F in my FJ40 after everyone telling me all the stuff I would have to figure out. I think by the time I was done the cost worked out about the same as if I would of put a 350.