1991 80 Series Transmission Clunk when foot removed from gas (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1991 Land Cruiser is running pretty well. However when I let my foot off the gas- mostly at speed around 35-45 mph, I hear a distinct clunk. It seems to be coming from the transmission or maybe transfer case, but I can't really tell.

The automatic transmission is shifting smoothly, but the clunk happens when I let my foot foot off the gas, *** CLUNK ***.

Not to loud, kinda muffled.

Idea from the collective? Thanks in advance!!!

Believe that is normal and more relevant on the 91-92s. Have read many threads here on the matter.

EDIT: Of course check for play in your drive shafts,, u-joints and flanges.

If not normal, check u-joints.

Awesome! I'm going out to look. Will reply with obs.

My 92 doesn't do it. It did for a while until I swapped the U-joints out. Definitely check the u-joints and driveline. Grease but don't over grease.

Liberally grease your spines on the driveshaft yokes with moly. I remove the driveshafts, fill the splines with moly, remove the zerk fitting to allow the extra grease to ooze out and compress. Of course, reinstall your zero fittings upon install. Your transmission cable might also be just a tad to tight. Those two are the most common reasons for the driveline clunk in the 91 and 92's.

It will make the same clunk if the rear end has an auto locker in it as well (Aussie, Lock-Rite, Lokka, etc).

Experience shows the pre mid 93's without the VC tend to be more prone to clunking. Is it recent thing or always been there?

As above with solutions, but add in try lifting the flanges on the TC, often a problem. And would add, a couple of pumps on the prop shaft slides is enough, too much will cause everything from an untraceable vibration through to destroyed components.

regards

Dave

Front drive flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom