Builds 1989 GCC Spec FJ62 G Trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am jealous but also curious how much $$ invested in already in this project?

Man if you gotta ask.....but seriously I don't want to know, and I prefer it stays that way. I know the mrs will get on my case as well once she sees the look on my face after I've realized how much I've spent:eek:

$1.99 and taxes are REALLY HIGH!!!

J

You guys say nothing is certain but death and taxes, well around here it it would but nothing is certain but death by a pothole cause there are no taxes to pay to cover up those damn holes:flipoff2:

That front bumper setup is awesome.

Thank you sir. I've seen others do it, so just copied their idea.

Ok so I checked the 75 series strips when I got home and they have the same clips as your 79 series strips.
29808467856_b643e02ec8_c.jpg

29551040950_b2c1bdcdee_c.jpg

Thought I would experiment with the clips as I had nothing to lose. I ground down the clip barbs to fit in the round holes (about 4.5mm wide):
29216706844_5db7452820_c.jpg

It snapped in very nicely and securely:
29808471036_65f91c710f_c.jpg

I need to finish grinding down the rest to see how the strip actually fits with the supplied clips. However, @goldchaser did the same swap in his HJ61 and used the clips so there is hope. :)

Awesome! Thanks for checking this out Chase. Looks like it fit in perfectly.

Going to do this with the remaining 3 doors once they come in next week, so all is not lost

Did you ground them down with a filer or a disc grinder?

Cheers

I used a Dremel with a cutting disc to shape the little prong. I'm still not 100% sure how will fit when I do all the brackets and fully seat the strip in them. I'll play around with it more tonight and let you know. Gluing might still be the best method. :)

Edit: I'll start a new thread if it all works out so I don't take up any more of your awesome thread. We can both put our methods in it for others, and future search-ability.

Last edited:
just came across this thread and man! Impressive work. Crazy how you guys get soo many cool options like full floaters and such and then on the flip side a tachometer delete and no locking hubs? I guess its all about functionality over there.

We are given a wide range of options with these rigs, when you live out here you'll quickly understand why. Its hot as hell and even parking up your rig for a while kicks the crap out of it. So everything has to be easy on/easy off. Even the brand new cruisers have options the US market doesn't see. I'm frantically trying to get my own '88 VX put back together at the moment.

I used a Dremel with a cutting disc to shape the little prong. I'm still not 100% sure how will fit when I do all the brackets and fully seat the strip in them. I'll play around with it more tonight and let you know. Gluing might still be the best method. :)

Edit: I'll start a new thread if it all works out so I don't take up any more of your awesome thread. We can both put our methods in it for others, and future search-ability.

Thanks! Great idea re a separate tech thread for others to see. My 3 remaining weatherstrips are on their way from TMC Japan, so fingers crossed another 10 days and we'll wrap this up.

just came across this thread and man! Impressive work. Crazy how you guys get soo many cool options like full floaters and such and then on the flip side a tachometer delete and no locking hubs? I guess its all about functionality over there.

A tach would have been nice, but I am not sure how I would have been able to make it work with the 1HZ FIP. With the diesel, my eye is always on the pyro and water temps, so in a way I'm glad there was a tach delete so I could fit the pyro in its place.

We are given a wide range of options with these rigs, when you live out here you'll quickly understand why. Its hot as hell and even parking up your rig for a while kicks the crap out of it. So everything has to be easy on/easy off. Even the brand new cruisers have options the US market doesn't see. I'm frantically trying to get my own '88 VX put back together at the moment.

My biggest worry is parking the car in the street. Even with it completely covered, they still get baked.

Looking forward to seeing your 62 done as well!

Last edited:
A few things to add for today.

Got a set of reproduction stickers from Dubai, which @Mcladin was oh so kind to get them rolled into a box and carry it on the flight with him to bring to Jeddah.

Next up, and probably the biggest headache I had to deal with on this refurb: the panels for the doors and storage. Had issues with the laser cutter, on so many levels, but thats a long story for another day.

Test fitting. This was the second batch of panels, after the first batch we got didn't even have the holes aligned properly:bang:

Barn doors. I do eventually plan to get a drop down table installed later on. I also wanted to have storage cabinets for both barn doors, but it was taking it too far with the laser cutter, whom I just wanted to be done with.

The rear storage panel. Notice he didn't even round the edges at the top left corner.

Doors now all cleaned up, with window crank and arm rest installed.

There are scratches in a few places, but at this point I am just relieved I got my sh*t back.

Rear storage cabinet, with Blue Systems fuse box and USB port

I intend to keep the panels bare. For now. But the scratches are getting to me. Got a tip from a buddy who said to use a scotch brite pad to wipe the SS panels in one direction and that will take care of the scratches, so will try that with some spare SS sheets I have laying around.

Lastly, for now, the decals.:grinpimp:

So awesome!

So cool. All of it.
I say engine turning on those panels.
But whatever you do will be awesome, obviously.

you must be at least $40K deep in this.....still worth it.

Dude the truck looks stellar! Congrats and I have to say that I actually love the factory pinstriping!

Perfection! Love it. Outstanding job.

Thanks guys!

On my to do list:

- brakes are soft and need adjusting/bleeding. I've replaced the pads, disc, and brake booster, so need to figure this one out
- temp/oil pressure/fuel gauge from Speedhut is acting up. Every time I hit the indicator, all the gauges spike
- wire up the winch, lights, and compressor plus get two new batteries to get the dual battery system set up. I got an intelligent solenoid off Amazon as a kit, so should be straight forward
- AC needs to be filled.
- Alignment needs sorting as truck pulls to the right if I remove my hands off the wheel at cruising speed

Took a stab at the wiring this morning. Dual battery set up, intelligent solenoid, front and rear flood lights, and the winch.

Still not done. Using a Bussman 100A circuit breaker.

Also, the Speedhut speedo is in, and the water temp gauge is now working as well. At the time of ordering the speedo, I had them set the odo to the original KM's (648,000 KM). Really liking the set up, but the jury is still out on the gps speedo, as it takes about 1 min from starting the vehicle to get calibrated and pick up a signal. Entering tunnels or underground parking and it stops entirely. Will take some getting used to. They do offer a manual set up with a cable to the trans, but not sure the connector is compatible.

Middle gauge is the pyro.

I really like having the pyro in the middle where the tach goes, but where is your tachometer with that cluster arrangement?

The truck came without a tacho. Getting a tacho to work, at least to me, is a project in itself with the 1HZ. My fuel injection pump has the tacho pickup sensor, but not sure how/which would be the best set up to make it function on the 62.

Besides, I never really looked at them. I only pay attention to the pyro, and the water temps when climbing hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom