Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

while I was doing all the work under the truck I noticed that the rear heater hoses were in dyer need of replacing after 27 years on the road. It appeared that the mud caked onto them possibly even preserved them from failing at some point but a more recent transfer leak had started to deteriorate the rubber. Unfortunately the replacement are discontinued by Toyota but Beno came through and came up with a part number for a hose that is still available. The new hoses pictured are actually for the heater pipe in the engine bay that runs to the bottom side of the heater valve but has the correct radius and is the correct diameter for the hoses I needed to replace. I ordered them yesterday and just got the replacements delivered to me I was kinda surprised it was $48.53 for these two little guys with my discount. i'll throw them on this evening before I head out for a little road trip to North Carolina in the morning to do a good shake down run of all my work.

drove the truck 520 miles in two days (Saturday and Sunday) from Huntsville, Alabama to Cherokee North Carolina. I fueled up while leaving Huntsville and made it 356 miles on the first tank of gas and still had three gallons in the tank to spare. First tank id say was mixed (city/highway) since I did a lot of putting around in Bryson city and Cherokee but managed to get 16.75 miles per gallon which I was very happy with. couple of other pictures from the trip.

noticed gas for the cheapest ive seen it in probably six years

Great photos of America's heartland, as it were. Love the old hotels.

Yeah the old motel signs were pretty cool looking back in the day. Unfortunately they all appeared to be closed and replaced by your typical super 8s and other chain style establishments. If anyone is visiting the Cherokee area id recommend Peter's Pancakes for breakfast and Paul's for lunch. Both are locally owned greasy spoons that turned out to be excellent picks.

figured its time to post an update. My steering box has been leaking for quiet some time so I recently sent it out to west texas off road for a rebuild. That was a month or so ago, truck was down for two weeks but im happy with the end result no more leaks! I also purchased and new window regulator for the driver window and new run channels and inner weather strips for both front doors. I have yet to install these. I did however begin working on another little project :)

Sweet! Are you putting the 12h-t into your 60? I just picked one up for mine as well!

Sweet! Are you putting the 12h-t into your 60? I just picked one up for mine as well!

Yep! I picked the 12h-t up about a year ago. The person I purchased it from didn't know any history on it so I was a bit leary of what kind of shape it was in. He had actually purchased an hj45 on ebay and the engine was part of the deal. The engine is 12v and was behind an auto transmission so I suspect it was from the Australian market. It appears to be low mileage in my opinion based on the fact that it still has a bunch of foam insulating blocks in various areas that I am certain would have been tossed if it was ever taken apart for servicing. all of the clamps are Toyota originals as well as the hoses and belts. it doesn't appear to have had any oil leaks either. It also has this plastic skid plate/insulator that was on the bottom of the oil pan that I haven't seen before. Over the past year I have been acquiring some parts for the transplant. I called up ebi in Vancouver and ordered a bell housing, flywheel, clutch fork, bell housing plate, hj60 starter nose cone, hj60 frame mounts, hj60 air cleaner, and an hj60 throttle cable and linkage. The parts took over 6 months to come in because my order was shipping with another persons that lives close to me and they were working out the logistics. since I wasn't in a hurry I didn't mind the wait. I also purchased and hj60 tachometer on here from a guy in Canada. Oh and a 12v hj60 starter. I ALSO parted an fj62 a couple of months ago and saved quiet a bit of parts from it that will come in handy for the transplant.

Last edited:
Awesome deal on the 12V. Mines 24V, so that's another obstacle to overcome. Luckily I got all of the mounts and brackets from the donor rig (HJ61), but I still have some odds and ends to get. Are you planning on using the 62 power steering lines to run from the pump to the box? I still need to get that for mine. Those 12h-t bell housing/ flywheels are pretty rare to come across... I made sure that I found one before I purchased the motor! When are you planning on doing the swap? I'm doing mine in July, so we might be digging into it around the same time.

here is the 12ht up on a stand, I started stripping it down. im removing all of the brackets and having them powder coated black. I did notice that the rear heater lines have a good bit of corrosion on them probably from having water instead of coolant in the engine. also the water pump housing where the lower radiator hose attaches is heavily corroded. Im going to replace the rear main seal, water pump, side cover gaskets, valve cover gasket, reseal the oil pan and powder coat it along with the side covers, and replace the thermostat and front crank seal. I spent the majority of this past Saturday attempting to start the engine. I had to replace a leaky primer pump with a new bosch unit I had laying around for my 3b. The complete 12v starter I purchased didn't appear to work so I took the spare 2h cone and disassembled one of my spare 12v 3b starters and installed the motor onto the 2h nose cone. it also didn't appear to work...well apparently the two sets of jumper cables were allow for too much of a voltage drop and it just wasn't getting enough juice to spin the engine over. so I threw a battery in and connected it to the starter with about a foot of cable and voila it spun over super fast. I got a couple of video of the first start and couple of attempted starts with it still in the trailer but don't know how to upload them.

The 12ht was too much for my harbor freight engine stand so out came the welder and a couple of feet of angle iron I had it reinforced :)

Awesome deal on the 12V. Mines 24V, so that's another obstacle to overcome. Luckily I got all of the mounts and brackets from the donor rig (HJ61), but I still have some odds and ends to get. Are you planning on using the 62 power steering lines to run from the pump to the box? I still need to get that for mine. Those 12h-t bell housing/ flywheels are pretty rare to come across... I made sure that I found one before I purchased the motor! When are you planning on doing the swap? I'm doing mine in July, so we might be digging into it around the same time.

I did pull the fj62 power steering lines with the intention of using them. When I purchased the h55f for this truck in December I was fortunate in that it had a 2h/12ht bell housing attached. I also have the one I got from ebi so I actually have two to choose from (both are in great shape). To answer your other question...I pulled the 2f out yesterday :) and went ahead and removed the carb cooling fan, coil ignitor, choke cable, charcoal canister and some evap lines off the firewall. also cut off the engine mounts from the frame.

a shot of the rebuilt p/s box had to remove it to remove the driver mount

Last edited:
Cool deal! Get in contact with Dave from Japan 4x4. He has all of the OEM gaskets, water pump housing and other 12h-t related items that you need. I have a quote for a new WP and it was $201.19 without shipping, and $605.74 for an overhaul gasket kit.

Cool deal! Get in contact with Dave from Japan 4x4. He has all of the OEM gaskets, water pump housing and other 12h-t related items that you need. I have a quote for a new WP and it was $201.19 without shipping, and $605.74 for an overhaul gasket kit.

sweet will do! I wonder if most of the parts are available here from toyota if I can find the part numbers? I know the rear main seal at least is.

sweet will do! I wonder if most of the parts are available here from toyota if I can find the part numbers? I know the rear main seal at least is.
I talked to beno a while back and he could get the hoses, belts, the oil/water senders, and a few clutch parts but other than that it is only available from a JDM parts supplier. Dave is great to work with, but he usually responds late due to the difference in time between Japan and the US.

Unfortunately I had to work yesterday and we were extremely slow at work so I spent the majority of the day researching part numbers and compiled this list. I spoke to steve at ebi and another Toyota dealer in Canada as well as dave Stedman in japan. After all the research looks like I can get everything from my Toyota dealer except the valve cover gasket and the entire engine overhaul gasket set (which I don't really need). I placed the order this morning and looks like parts are coming in from all over the country so it will be a few days. Im anxious to see what will come in and what will not. I went ahead and listed the part numbers of the items you cant get from American Toyota as well.

the high pressure vacuum hose is actually the oil supply hose for the vacuum pump on the alternator. Mine looks fine but that's one of those items you DONT want to fail so i'll be replacing it. Im also replacing the oil pressure sender and coolant temp sender as a preventative measure and will mostly likely stick a thermostat in it as well. A few months back I sourced a genuine hj60 radiator new from Toyota as well as upper and lower hoses so that should take care of cooling. I'll post up the picture with part number if anyone would like it. I have a new exedy clutch kit coming in that I ordered for a 2f I have my fingers crossed that the pilot bearing and throw out bearing will work.

diesel hj60 tachometer im going to wire in to the 60 cluster

here is the handy work on the cheapo engine stand we picked up another caster for the front which was destroyed from the weight. im not too keen on the new one it only has a 300 pound weight rating

here are the rusty pipes im dealing with. im working with dave at japan 4x4 about getting some replacements

bosch fuel feed primer I installed this past weekend to get it fired up.

Doesn't appear that the pump has ever been serviced. in my opinion either indicates low miles or maybe neglected service? guess i'll have to see how it runs

it is a relief to see name brand filters one it and possibly another indication of maint.

rusty water pump housing already have a replacement headed my way.

another minor snag looks like my alternator despite being 12v is unfortunately and external regulator type. has anyone added an external regulator before?

A good alternator upgrade for the 12h-t is an Isuzu NPR one. They push out higher amps and only require slight modification to the bracket. Maybe someone else could chime in on this some more because I don't know that much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom