Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome project today!

First off. I picked up a new fuel filter, oil filter, and 12 quarts of Rotella 15-40! Finally going to get around to my first oil and filter change. What should I do about the air filter? should I get a new one? Should I blow out the old one with air?

Anyway. On with my project of the day.

So my butterfly valve isnt cutting the mustard. My truck just doesnt shut off the way id like. It chokes out after a few seconds of spluttering and spewing coal. So. I thought Id add a fuel cuttoff cable.

Heres how my friend Chris and I got it done.

We took my old "choke" cable and knob, and put it in a spare hole in the dash that just happened to fit it perfectly.
Then we routed the cable up through the firewall, through a rubber grommet, and into the engine bay.
Then we took it up along the firewall, and down the passenger side of the engine to the fuel shutoff.

Thats where the custom work came in. The fuel shutoff lever normally has to be pushed forward to shut off the fuel, but we needed it to be "pull to kill"

So we removed the lever arm, the washers, and tension spring. Then we flipped the lever arm over, then rotated it 180 degrees so it would be pull to kill.

Once that was done, we drilled a new hole for the spring to apply tension.

We re-assembled the fuel shutoff, now inverted, and tested the function. Perfect.

Then we built a custom bracket to secure the cable sleeve, and mounted it to a bolt that used to hold a damper-thing that I dont use. (If anyone could tell me what that thing USED to do, Id really appreciate it. Its a gold damper/vacuum piston thing that was just infront of the throttle linkage. It wasnt connected to anything, and i think it affects the throttle for when you turn on the AC but im not sure.

Regardless, its now removed and sitting in my "i might need this someday" parts bin.

So. with the bracket built, the line in, and the cable connected, we tested it. After a few tweaks, she worked like a charm. It kills the engine INSTANTLY, and looks great in the cab.

So there she is! I absolutely love it. Totally custom, works great, and looks like it came with the car. Not only that, but I consider it a security measure.

When I park it, I just pull it out a click to kill the engine, then leave it out. That way, anyone who breaks in, tries to start the truck, or tries to pop the clutch, will be met with a fuel shutoff. If they try to give it the choke..... they only "choke" the engine out!!!

Anyway. Pretty slick setup in my opinion. I love it. Huge thanks to my friend Chris who worked with me until 12:00 at night in the dark, outside, on the curb. What a guy. Thanks Chris!!!

Awesome project today!

First off. I picked up a new fuel filter, oil filter, and 12 quarts of Rotella 15-40! Finally going to get around to my first oil and filter change. What should I do about the air filter? should I get a new one? Should I blow out the old one with air?

Anyway. On with my project of the day.

So my butterfly valve isnt cutting the mustard. My truck just doesnt shut off the way id like. It chokes out after a few seconds of spluttering and spewing coal. So. I thought Id add a fuel cuttoff cable.

Heres how my friend Chris and I got it done.

We took my old "choke" cable and knob, and put it in a spare hole in the dash that just happened to fit it perfectly.
Then we routed the cable up through the firewall, through a rubber grommet, and into the engine bay.
Then we took it up along the firewall, and down the passenger side of the engine to the fuel shutoff.

Thats where the custom work came in. The fuel shutoff lever normally has to be pushed forward to shut off the fuel, but we needed it to be "pull to kill"

So we removed the lever arm, the washers, and tension spring. Then we flipped the lever arm over, then rotated it 180 degrees so it would be pull to kill.

Once that was done, we drilled a new hole for the spring to apply tension.

We re-assembled the fuel shutoff, now inverted, and tested the function. Perfect.

Then we built a custom bracket to secure the cable sleeve, and mounted it to a bolt that used to hold a damper-thing that I dont use. (If anyone could tell me what that thing USED to do, Id really appreciate it. Its a gold damper/vacuum piston thing that was just infront of the throttle linkage. It wasnt connected to anything, and i think it affects the throttle for when you turn on the AC but im not sure.

Regardless, its now removed and sitting in my "i might need this someday" parts bin.

So. with the bracket built, the line in, and the cable connected, we tested it. After a few tweaks, she worked like a charm. It kills the engine INSTANTLY, and looks great in the cab.

So there she is! I absolutely love it. Totally custom, works great, and looks like it came with the car. Not only that, but I consider it a security measure.

When I park it, I just pull it out a click to kill the engine, then leave it out. That way, anyone who breaks in, tries to start the truck, or tries to pop the clutch, will be met with a fuel shutoff. If they try to give it the choke..... they only "choke" the engine out!!!

Anyway. Pretty slick setup in my opinion. I love it. Huge thanks to my friend Chris who worked with me until 12:00 at night in the dark, outside, on the curb. What a guy. Thanks Chris!!!
U owe Chris beer, lots of beer!

Not for 3 years in the U.S. he doesn't. ;)

Did a lot of truck work this weekend.

With the fuel shutoff working like a dream, I dont think Ill address the butterfly valve any time soon, or until I rebuild the engine in another 300k miles.

Thanks to TLC Norway for getting the part number for the fuel and oil filter, but un-fortunately they didnt pan out. Luckily Mudrak had what I needed to change out all my filters.

I got my spiffy new (HUGE) genuine Toyota oil filter.

Then I put in 10 quarts of Dello 15-40.

I picked up a NAPA fuel filter too, and put that on. Im really glad I dont need to change that fuel filter too often. It was a serious PITA to get in there. Its so close to the engine you cant get any purchase on it, even with a filter wrench. Regardless, I got 'er! Hopefully the new filter/new gasket will solve my fuel leak problem.

My new BOSCH priming pump worked awesome, and I re-primed the fuel system in a few seconds.

Next upgrades/service are

-AC lines
-LED work lights on rear hatch and under hood
-New Radiator top hose
-Sound deaden the front of the truck
-Footwell lights, and under dash lights.
-Finish rear storage panels
-Underhood work lights
-Hood Struts

And a few more. But we can start with that

Regarding this...

What should I do about the air filter? should I get a new one? Should I blow out the old one with air?

I've been told by mechanics to Never blow an air house into a filter to clean it. You will ruin it and then later your engine.

Regarding this...

What should I do about the air filter? should I get a new one? Should I blow out the old one with air?

I've been told by mechanics to Never blow an air house into a filter to clean it. You will ruin it and then later your engine.

Thanks! Ill leave it in until I get enough money together to buy a new one. Or two.

Do I have a problem brewing?

I was doing my periodic "bay inspection" when I saw this.

That filter is 2,000 miles old. Should it be that filthy? Could I have some sort of contamination in the tank/lines etc? Is this normal? Thoughts?

Also. Should I be worried about all the air in the filter? When I originally primed the fuel system, I got nearly all the air out of the inline filter. But when I dropped in my new fuel filter, i obviously had some air intrusion. I re-primed it with my bosch hand priming pump, and let the truck run at 1,500 rpm for a few minutes while it got all the air out. But now the inline filter has a fair bit of air in it. Should I be worried?

It looks pretty gummed up, maybe residual s***e in the tank coming thru. Your pump will be happy thats on there. Theres a small inspection hole in the top of the tank where the sender float is mounted. Open it up and shine a light in there to see how dirty it looks. Im not sure if there is something out there that u can run in the tank to clean it or if u will have to drop the tank and flush it out

It looks pretty gummed up, maybe residual ****e in the tank coming thru. Your pump will be happy thats on there. Theres a small inspection hole in the top of the tank where the sender float is mounted. Open it up and shine a light in there to see how dirty it looks. Im not sure if there is something out there that u can run in the tank to clean it or if u will have to drop the tank and flush it out

When you first switch to diesel you will get some junk cleaned out of the tank and into your filters. Put some Biodiesel in and you'll really break the crud loose.

I wouldn't worry at all yet. Not until you have 10,000 miles on diesel should you be concerned with crud getting loose from the lank and lines.

Dan

Thoughts?

So the truck is running great so far. The fuel shutoff is one of the best post-swap mods. It works awesome.

A couple problems,
- The clutch is funny. The clutch throw seems to be off. When i press it to the floor, it disengages completely (i think). But when i start to let it out, after maybe an inch, its engaged. It seems to start to slip as soon as the pedal leaves the floor. Should this be? does it need a bleed? Am I wearing down my clutch? I think the slave cyl is VERY slowly leaking from the piston. Any thoughts? I bled the system when I swapped the engine.

-A drip. Theres a SUPER slow drip coming from the drain hole at the bottom of the bellhousing. Its engine oil. Maybe a drop a day or so. Theres just always a bit of a gathering there but nothing serious. What would leak into the bellhousing? Rear main seal?

Regarding the oil leak, I had the same symptom, I assumed it was rear main seal but actually turned out to be the very back of the oil pan gasket. How many gaskets did you replace when you did the engine swap?

If its rear main it may explain your "slip"
Does it slip in full power?

My previous comment was confusing. My apologies. By "slip" i meant that the clutch STARTS to engage at about a half inch off the floor, and becomes fully engaged after about an inch and a half. The clutch performs perfectly. Im just afraid that with so little "extra stroke", and such a rapid engagement that when i put the clutch in and am sitting in neutral, Im slowly wearing down my clutch because it isnt quite fully disengaging.

Regarding the oil leak, I had the same symptom, I assumed it was rear main seal but actually turned out to be the very back of the oil pan gasket. How many gaskets did you replace when you did the engine swap?

Thats a very good idea. My oil pan is shot. It appears that someone slathered MASSIVE amounts of sealant all over the pan at one point. It doesnt leak anywhere, but its clear that it has a this smearing of heavy, black silicon sealant all over it. I never dropped the pan because i thought id just replace it ASAP. Im now on the hunt for an oil pan.

You will kick yourself for not doing it while the engine was on a stand, good luck though. You might be able to get a new pan from one of the dealership vendors here.

Hey guys!

I am working on getting my AC operational, and could use some help. I have all the lines and condensers from both the donor truck, and my original FJ60. The problem is, the 12HT's AC pump is in a different location than on a 60 (as you know). As a result, my lines arent long enough. I am going to have to get some made up. Do you have any experience with this? Does your AC work? If your AC is functional, could you send me some pictures of your lines so I know what needs to go where? Some of my old hoses might work, but I dont know what goes where because I have two connections in the firewall, two on the condenser, and 4 on the pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Will

Update:

My clutch slave is leaking.
My clutch master is leaking.
The clutch engages almost instantly now.

Im still super broke.

My AC isnt connected yet.

Im doing some AWESOME rear lights that I think you guys are gonna love.

Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom