Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alberto, do you have paint code and year for your truck. I'm fixing a rollover, so its getting new
colours too. Don't like black/white much. Thx, J

Alberto, do you have paint code and year for your truck. I'm fixing a rollover, so its getting new
colours too. Don't like black/white much. Thx, J

The color code on my truck is Toyota 4E9 and I believe this shade of Beige started coming out on the 1987 and on models. I don't recall Jeff (the paint guy) needing a year also when he procured the paint. The earlier shade of Beige (as shown on some earlier 60 series) is coded as Toyota 464.

This thread popped out on a quick search about the year cut-off (I am not 100% on when Toyota started using 4E9 instead of 464)

Need the Color Code for Tan

Send photos of your progress!!!

-Alberto

That's the colour I'm looking for. I've been looking at doing Tan and Black for my BJ74, but most
tan colours seem to be too yellow to me. Just my minds eye, so looking for the tint that I like is the
hard part. Pics as soon as it's done. Its the quarter panel repair on my sig line

I haven't seen this website until you posted it @burbuja96

Thanks for sharing this. I am flattered hahahaha :hillbilly:

I wonder what all the language in the text says. Pretty funny though!

Thanks again for sharing this!!

-Alberto

They are in Moscow, Ru and they offer all kind of maintenance / services to Land Cruisers.

We should let them know that is copyright infringement and see if they give you a free oil change..

Cheers

How's the frame prep going?

Hey Pete! @94SRUNNER

The frame prep is going "OK". Before the galvanizing, I had left a few bolts in some of the threads thinking that this would "protect" the threads making it easier to clean them later.....wrong!

I probably left about 10 - 15 bolts on the frame and about 7 or 8 broke when I tried to remove them. These were left hand-tight prior to galvanizing. I think that the galvanizing process somewhat fused them and broke when trying to remove them. It turned out to be WAY easier to chase the threads on those holes where no bolt was left than having to deal with the pain of drilling out broken bolts.

There was a lot of this going:

680.JPG
681.JPG
682.JPG
683.JPG

I am now done with the drill/tap session so I can move ahead and start assembling parts.

Note to self (and to whoever wants to galvanize something later down the road): Do not leave fasteners attached to the frame/structure. It is easier to run a drill and tap to clean threads than having to deal with broken bolts.

Hey Pete! @94SRUNNER

The frame prep is going "OK". Before the galvanizing, I had left a few bolts in some of the threads thinking that this would "protect" the threads making it easier to clean them later.....wrong!

I probably left about 10 - 15 bolts on the frame and about 7 or 8 broke when I tried to remove them. These were left hand-tight prior to galvanizing. I think that the galvanizing process somewhat fused them and broke when trying to remove them. It turned out to be WAY easier to chase the threads on those holes where no bolt was left than having to deal with the pain of drilling out broken bolts.

There was a lot of this going:

View attachment 1324792 View attachment 1324793 View attachment 1324794 View attachment 1324795

I am now done with the drill/tap session so I can move ahead and start assembling parts.

Note to self (and to whoever wants to galvanize something later down the road): Do not leave fasteners attached to the frame/structure. It is easier to run a drill and tap to clean threads than having to deal with broken bolts.
I could have sent you some heat resistant ceramic plugs. :)

Some of this has been going on lately (in other words, veeeeeeery slow :confused:):

1. Jacked up front of frame to install front axle and suspension

684.JPG

2. Front axle/suspension loosely attached

685.JPG

3. Jacked up rear of frame to install rear axle and suspension

686.JPG

4. Started to look like a rolling frame

687.JPG

5. Another angle

688.JPG

Haven't torqued any bolt yet. Will do some of that when the weight of the vehicle is back on the suspension. I will put paint markings when I go over every single fastener on the frame.

While I was installing the suspension, I noticed that some of these pieces were looking a little sorry. I had used a wire-wheel and paint when I put the axles together but was never really happy how they turned out.

689.JPG

A little Moab dirt on the axles. Wish I was there again this year.

690.JPG

Took both of the locking mechanisms to get cleaned and took another few miscellaneous pieces to get cleaned and plated, too.

Before:

691.JPG

After:

692.JPG

693.JPG

I had Smith Electrochemical in Cincinnati do the work Smith Electrochemical Company. I asked for yellow Zinc which looks "ok" but maybe a little to flashy/bright I guess.

What do most people get when doing this type of work? Cadmium plated?

i get lost in this !!! its that your 70 or you have another proyect.! wou!!!

i get lost in this !!! its that your 70 or you have another proyect.! wou!!!

Hey Luis!

Same truck, just getting a make-over since I am swapping the 3B engine for a 1HZ, but the soul of the truck remains the same I guess hahaha

Whenever you go to see Pablo in Miami, you guys should drive North and come for a visit.

Take care my good friend!

-Alberto

I think I'd go for a coating of paint if I was bolting them on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom