Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome thread man. I'm here in Cincy and don't know how i've skipped over this thread.

Got some motivation and finished the cable locker handle assemblies. When I bought the cable lockers from Sheldon, he sent me some photos of what some of his customers have done to install them and some other photos I've found here (some courtesy of Sheldon and some of Delancy)

RDH Cable Locker Handles on a RHD vehicle:

View attachment 1122223

LHD Cable Locker Handles on a LHD vehicle:

View attachment 1122225

RHD Cable Locker Handles on a LHD vehicle:

View attachment 1122224

Cables exiting the cabin on a LHD vehicle:

View attachment 1122228

This is an awesome build. Where can I find these handles? I would like to convert the stock e lockers in an 80 series to work with these.

I get goose bumps seeing a cruiser crawl over rocks with no hesitation. Great videos.

Updates???

The new BJ70 H55 was re- rebuilt last week with a new 1HZ input gear. The tranny & 4:1 gearset were new a few thousand miles ago and gear tooth & syncro wear looked perfect.

As JimC mentioned, we swapped the input shaft of the transmission we installed right before my Moab trip and installed the HZ type input shaft.

I posted some of the different input shafts for the H55 in another thread. Just to include it for reference in this thread, too, below is a photo of 3 of the input shafts that Toyota offered for the H55f transmission:

647.JPG

Left: F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft.
Middle: HZ type H55 input shaft
Right: B, 2B, 3B, 13BT type H55 input shaft

I've included what I've found through reading on the forum. The photo above also shows the late iteration of the H55 input shafts with the bigger bearing and the late type front bearing retainer. Please correct me if I have listed them wrong.

For reference:

HZ type H55 input shaft part number:

648.JPG

Late 3B type H55 input shaft part number:

649.JPG

Link to H55 Split Case Thread:

some h55f and split case tech

I borrowed my friend Andy's @A ROGUE 2015 Ford Escape and brought my H55 and Split Case to JimC to swap the input shaft:

650.JPG

JimC @FJ40Jim and I started working on taking the whole combo apart. Back Half of Split Case out:

651.JPG

Split Case Removed from H55:

652.JPG

5th Gear removed from extension housing:

653.JPG

JimC working on getting some pullers out to get the 5th gear removed:

654.JPG

:wrench:

image.jpg
How come you've got someone doing all of the work while you stand around smiling for the camera? Oh wait a minute, that's the same thing I do. ;)

Input shaft out!

655.JPG

We stopped for lunch and went to FIVE GUYS for a nice hamburger

656.JPG

And finished assembling the H55 Split Case with the new HZ input shaft:

657.JPG

Bellhousing still shows the 3B variation, I will swap that when the time comes to mate it to the 1HZ engine.

Thank you, JimC @FJ40Jim for spending your Sunday working on this with me. I really appreciate the time and effort put into this

:cheers:

What are your plans for that B input shaft?

Jim's hair is getting even thinner and grayer.
;)
That's for my racing career. Thin=reduced weight, white=ready for sponsorship graphics.

Gents, just wanted to say thank you for all the great info on the H55 and the different setups. It has helped me identify the h55 I just pulled out of the junkyard this week from a VM powered rig.

Great thread!

Gents, just wanted to say thank you for all the great info on the H55 and the different setups. It has helped me identify the h55 I just pulled out of the junkyard this week from a VM powered rig.
Great thread!
Where in The world are you?
What vehicle has a VM backed w/ Aisin H55?

This beast! (Sorry for momentary highjack)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom