1984 FJ-60 Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 1984 FJ-60 with a bad clutch. I had a new clutch and flywheel put in. It shifts nice and tight now. Now heres the problem. It shifts from 2H to 4H and vice versa no problem. 4H engages fine. But it will not engage from 4H to 4L. The shifter acts like it is stuck.. Could it be related to the clutch job I just had done? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam B.
1984 FJ-60

The xfer case linkage shouldnt be affected by the clutch at all, i would check and see if the rods are binding or something of that sort

Has this truck been retrofitted to a H55 5 speed? If so the floor plate is likely not allowing the transfer sifter to move far enough downward.
In any case if you crawl under the truck you'll see a lever on the top of the transfer case. That lever should be pointing straight ahead. If it does not then someone has taken the transfer case apart and not reassembled it incorrectly. That lever rotates when the transfer case is apart and the case CAN be assembled incorrectly. You might also be able to see the blocker up on the side of the transmission. If the shift lever clears the rear of this blocker you should be able to go into 4L.

Thanks for the replies,
The FJ 60 has the factory 4spd. transmission. The transfer case to the best of my knowledge has not been rebuilt. What is this "blocker" on the side of the transmission that could be keeping the shifter from moving. Also, i'm sure you know this : the transfer case shift pattern is L shaped. 2H is at the top of the L, 4h is at the bottom, N is mid-way across the bottom, and 4L is at the bottom right-end. Did that make sense ??? So it shifts up and down, but not left-to-right.

Thanks again,
Adam B.

Shifter movement up and down operates the rod which comes out of the front of the transfer case. Side to side movement operates the lever I spoke of earlier, thus it is important to check the position of this lever. The blocker is a steel piece which is bolted to the transmission cover and the transfer shifter mounting pin. The function of this blocker will become obvious if you watch it while someone operates the transfer shift lever. You will see that the transfer shift lever is blocked from sideways movement until the shift lever reaches the furthest backwards location. If you're still having a problem understanding how it works I'll see if I can post a picture from my shop manual.
Does the transfer shift lever move sideways at all? There is a cotter pin that has fallen off on me before that holds the shift lever and connecting rod to each other so if the shifter moves but does not shift that's another thing to check.
I've just gone through my transfer case/transmission last week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom