1983 FJ60 Rear Wiper Motor Wire Color Codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally fixing the broken hatch wiring in my 1983 FJ60. It's been broken for a few years...

I did a great job splicing in new wire, and tested the wires for continuity from the driver's side cargo area fenderwell connector to the rear wiper motor connector.

Rear wiper motor doesn't work though, and I want to test it with some jumper wires. I get 12v+ at a couple of the terminals with the dash wiper switch turned on. Which wires should I connect to with a jumper? (I realize as I type this I could try either of the wires that I've tested for power)

Still, I can't seem to find any info on here. So maybe someone can enlighten us all. There are only 3 wires on the 1983 rear wiper. My 1984 manual has a schematic for 4 wires at the connector.

I have:

Blue
Blue-White stripe
Blue-red stripe

One is power, one is the return, one is ground?

Last edited:
There are only 3 wires on the 1983 rear wiper. My 1984 manual has a schematic for 4 wires at the connector.

I believe that you are referring to the wrong wiring diagram...the 1984-Chassis-Body-FSM doesn't cover the FJ60 model...but the 1980-Chassis-Body_FSM does cover the FJ60 model.

You can download the 1980-Chassis-Body_FSM here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsms.743084/

Take a look at the wiring diagram/info in the 1980 FSM and see if it jives with what you are seeing in the real world, but if you still run into trouble interpreting what's going on, post up again...

Models for 1984-Chassis-Body_FSM.jpg

Models for 1980-Chassis-Body_FSM.jpg

The ground wire (W-B) does not go to the connecter.So in your case i would say B-G is the powersource from the switch.B-W is return.B connects directly to the wiperfuse.

Thanks for the FSM info.

I ran a wire from the battery + to the +1 on the motor harness, and from battery - to the motor body per the FSM. The motor went back and forth a couple times, but then stopped in the vertical position.

Now it won't move anymore. Did I fry something?

Hmmmm. I just removed my rear wiper motor assembly and tossed it. That thing weighs a ton. The rear hatch door now opens so much easier & the pneumatic lifts hold it in place. One of the best "mods" I've done. Never used that rear wiper in 27 years. Not once. But that's me.

Thanks for the FSM info.

I ran a wire from the battery + to the +1 on the motor harness, and from battery - to the motor body per the FSM. The motor went back and forth a couple times, but then stopped in the vertical position.

Did you check the Body Electrical chapter in the Chassis-Body FSM to see if there is an electrical test you can run on the wiper motor?

I wonder if you could do a simple resistance (aka continuity) test on the windings in the wiper motor (motor uninstalled, no external battery connected...since the multi-meter will generate it's own voltage for the resistance measurment).
Is there one or more combinations of terminals/contacts on the wiper motor that show you a resistance on the order of ~0 to 10's?

Thanks for the FSM info.

Did you ever figure this out?

Ha! I never did. Wow, has it been this long already? Geez! I think it started raining and got cold and driveway projects went on hold for awhile back in late 2014.

I last cleaned the contacts on the in-dash wiper switch back in 2000... I think it's time to do that again, then troubleshoot with the above info as needed.

I was really proud of my work "fixing" the hatch flex wiring, but now I'm not so sure that maybe I mixed up some wires. I DID get the defrost grid repaired and working, that was the best improvement for rear viz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom