For Sale 1983 BJ42 5-speed original Euro vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is for sale locally for 12000 euro's. 310000 km on it, never messed with. 2 owners. These BJ-42's are extremely rare to see with a 5-speed and un-molested.

I have gotten a bunch of photo's of this gentleman and it looks like your typical European cruiser but with less rust than normal. some on the gutter, some on the known spots on rear and at seams. Not a basket case by any means. Would need a mild resto to be perfect though. Is this worth the money? Basically I'm wondering if this would sell for $20.000 in the USA, then it's worth it for me to ship and not lose out when I decide to sell.

any input greatly appreciated.

Screen shot 2016-09-08 at 11.41.50 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-09-08 at 11.41.58 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-09-08 at 11.42.09 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-09-08 at 11.42.17 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-09-08 at 11.42.25 AM.png

I would say it's been messed with a little. No ambulance doors (may be a euro thing) No spare tire carrier, no rear reflectors, no rear badges, no jump seats. no roll bar, no original wheels, front bumper does not appear stock.

As @overton said it is missing many things you would normally expect to see on a 1983 Land Cruiser, would you be able to sell in the US for $20? Probably, but not for $20K, unless you spend some coin bringing it up to US standards.

those doors are stock on some euro models. Roll bar isn't stock. jump seats are often removed. How are the US standards for a BJ different?

These can be found cheaper in right hand drive configuration. are the prices in the USA for those comparable?

It's a tough sell at 20k, but if you had a lot of time to wait for the right buyer..... they are aware but not that in demand. An all original 84 canadiana spec bj42 went for about 17k some time ago. Original paint and all.

I enjoy the input. It's a rather strange market. I've brought 2 BJ40's so far, from Europe. One I sold for $15000, the other one for $19000. That was a very nice Portuguese cruiser, with minimal rust and a very nice original interior. But not BJ42's. In Europe people jump on 42's with a 5-speed, as it's such a better engine and drives much nicer with the lower RPM's in 5th gear. Looks like there's no difference in price for that upgrade in the USA??

Find me a nice LHD 45 and i'll buy it. I was in Amsterdam and nearly went to meet a guy named Nathan about one. There are nice finds in europe for sure. IMHO, 42's are the most sought after. Buyers are weary of a vehicle that is not titled in country, and for good reason. There are quite a few sellers trying to get money for a vehicle that has yet to be imported. By taking the financial risk and importing it yourself, you can command a higher price. You could always try ebay with a minimum bid.

Is this worth the money? Basically I'm wondering if this would sell for $20.000 in the USA, then it's worth it for me to ship and not lose out when I decide to sell.

any input greatly appreciated.

buying a 33 year old vehicle and not wanting to lose money on it when you decide to sell?
for me, it would be buy it and enjoy it.
buying these rigs to either flip and make money or own for a short time and then sell and not lose money on it. rarer rigs in good shape will always hold there value, but as @overton posted above there is some questionable things compared to north American version. It sure looks like there has been work done to the rear half of the tub. there are no holes for a spare tire carrier and the half doors look strange, not straight on the bottom edge. I also question the rear sill on the inside.

you wanted the input.

I enjoy the input. It's a rather strange market. I've brought 2 BJ40's so far, from Europe. One I sold for $15000, the other one for $19000. That was a very nice Portuguese cruiser, with minimal rust and a very nice original interior. But not BJ42's. In Europe people jump on 42's with a 5-speed, as it's such a better engine and drives much nicer with the lower RPM's in 5th gear. Looks like there's no difference in price for that upgrade in the USA??

5 speeds and diesels were never imported directly to the US. If people are jumping on BJ42's in Europe, I question why this one is either much cheaper or has been for sale for a while.

again just my input.

I finance my European summers finding a few cars I bring back to the USA (where I live 8 months out of the year) and sell them. I title them too usually, although the last BJ I sold for 19000 I didn't.
for around 7000-9000 a bj42 sells quick when it sports a 5-speed, not at 12000 like this one having some rust and in this rather uncool colour. The rear doors are truly original and I bet the hinges are tired from opening on a daily basis to let the dog in. I haven't seen it in person yet. There's only 2 more for sale in all of Europe and they're far worse.

Find me a nice LHD 45 and i'll buy it. I was in Amsterdam and nearly went to meet a guy named Nathan about one. There are nice finds in europe for sure. IMHO, 42's are the most sought after. Buyers are weary of a vehicle that is not titled in country, and for good reason. There are quite a few sellers trying to get money for a vehicle that has yet to be imported. By taking the financial risk and importing it yourself, you can command a higher price. You could always try ebay with a minimum bid.

Sorry, near impossible. you're looking at 15000 for a full on project or 28000 for a nice one, painted in wrong colours. I'm thinking to buy a cheaper right hand drive in Australia and converting it. I have a bj40 for parts...

For comparison, I bought an '84 BJ42 in the Netherlands last month for 10k euros that had a recent (5 years ago) frame off clean up. It was repainted flat black so not original, but I like it and plan to drive it regularly. I'm shipping it back to the US in a few weeks before I move back next month. Quote, door to door delivery from NL to Little Rock, AR is $2,500 and that includes all paperwork and customs processing. So I'll have about $15k in it when it's all said and done.

Trivia: The BJ42s became unwanted in the Netherlands within the past couple of years. Any Diesel newer than '81 is taxed heavily for emissions. The guy I bought mine from said he was now paying over 2k euro a year to keep it registered. For that reason, nobody in Holland wants the BJ42s anymore.

I don't know where the one you're looking at is but if it's near me (Sittard, NL), I'd be happy to swing by and look at it for you.

Almost true: Diesel vehicles need to be 40 years old in order to be tax-exempt in the Netherlands, whereas before this used to be 25 years.
For Belgium and Germany there's a 30 year cut-off. Meaning, a well priced BJ42 or 40 in the Netherlands will be bought by a German or Belgian buyer.
The shipping quote you got is very good. I can't do it for that. Ocean freight from Belgium runs 1350 euro's, local fee at port of Ventura about $800.
I would have paid 10.000, that's a good price if the restoration was done the European way. You will be very happy with it in Arkansas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom