For Sale 1981 FJ40 "the Hulk" Denver, CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD

I'm selling my 40. Here are the details:

I've owned this FJ40 since April 1999, and it's been garage-kept nearly the entire time. It's one of the nicest 40s I've seen. I've tried to modify it in a "tasteful way" to keep the authentic Toyota FJ40 character in its overall looks and ride. It's been great fun.

Details:

1981 FJ40 "Hulk"

* Color: grass green
* 123k miles
* original 2F engine, runs great, starts every time
* original 4-speed tranny, shifts like buttah
* split transfer case w/ Mark's (of Australia) gears in transfer case (3:1) - spendy upgrade ($1200 just for parts)
* Seats in great condition, gray vinyl
* Original hard top and doors
* STC full soft top in black denim
* STC bikini top
* Metal lower half doors with soft uppers, made in Pakistan by Ehsan. The black denim fabric on the upper half doors was purchased from STC before they went out of business and shipped to Pakistan, so it matches the STC soft top perfectly.
* OEM soft top mirrors
* Aqualu aluminum tailgate
* 4" BDS lift
* Old Man Emu anti-inversion shackles (except the one next to the power steering box, which has been modified)
* Rancho 9000 shocks
* 33" x 12.50" Goodyear MT/R tires (5). The spare has never touched the ground. Mounted on original '81 Toyota white spoke wheels.
* Front axle rebuilt
* Saginaw power steering
* Uniden CB radio, tuned for serious power
* Conn-Ferr bench seat, recovered with gray vinyl
* Custom front roll cage
* Cool Cruisers "Hell For Stout" front bumper
* Sweet T-Rex sliders
* Under-door area has been cut for more clearance
* Rear wheel wells not cut (yet)
* Back bumper is super beefy, with OEM taillights integrated. Needs a new tire carrier for the spare.
* original 3.7 gears in diffs: you can go 80 MPH on the highway with comfort and ease.
* LA locker (predecessor to Lock-Right) in rear diff.
* Warn premium hubs up front
* Cool air horn
* Hella headlights (lots of light, looks stock)
* Optima Yellow-Top battery
* Sony stereo and 4 high end speakers (Polk in rear). CD player has stopped working, but this could be fixed or replaced easily.
* Brakes are great -- it stops better than my 80.
* Heater is magnificent
* Rear heater (in center console: 1981-83 only)
* Will pass Colorado emissions (currently has Colorado 5-year historical plates)

A little rust:

* minor bubbles above rear fenders near rivets
* front floor boards are rusty from trapped moisture under the original rubber mats. The PS front floor board has some small holes that could be easily fixed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

344491306_JHE9m-M.jpg

The STC top is their final model before they went out of business. It's the model where all the windows zip out rather than roll up.

attachment.php

The last two pictures are from the Rising Sun 2008 "40s only" run in August 2008. It still looks the same.

If I ever decide to build another 40, I will want it set up almost exactly like I have my 40 set up now. Some of the parts (like the last gen. STC top) are no longer available. This is a great one.

You can PM me here or send email to matt -at- rustybrain -dot- com.

More pictures here:

Pictures of "The Hulk"

Last edited:
Matt,

I am doing intitial research for a cousin of mine. Is the hardtop in same condition as the rest of the Cruiser...color-matched etc.? Do you have a set of matching hard doors, amby doors...condition?

Beautiful rig...my favorite color.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Matt,

I am doing intitial research for a cousin of mine. Is the hardtop in same condition as the rest of the Cruiser...color-matched etc.? Do you have a set of matching hard doors...condition?

Beautiful rig...my favorite color.

Thanks!

Hi Garth,

Yes, the hard top and doors are all the same OEM green. They have been off the 40 since 2002, stored in various places in my garage and basement. The green on the tub may be a bit faded compared to the hard top, but it should be a very close match.

I need to dig out some old photos so folks can see the hard top and doors. Or maybe I just need to dig out all the parts and install it.

Tried to PM you. Your Box is Full. Jason

Are there any similar 40's on the market right now in such pristine condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom