1981 FJ40 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saturday I finally picked the tub from the body shop. I borrowed a friends little pickup and loaded up the tub. Backed it up to the retaining wall in my driveway and unloaded it.

I cant tell you how happy I am that I do all my own seam sealer removal, replacement and bed liner install. It came out perfect in my eyes.

I spent the afternoon under coating the tub........Holy crap I have a bell ringer of a head ache.....That stuff is nasty!!!!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Please keep the pictures of your progress coming. Your work is perfection! :cheers:
Thanks!

Nice work!!!!!! Did you get the tub and all the other panels painted at the same time?
No, but most was. All the paint was mixed at the same time.

that is a beautiful sight the tub looks pristine.
It was just about perfect before I started. Granted there were a hundred little dents that got worked from both sides and a a lot of detailed work to make it as new.

:cheers::cheers:AATLASIX This work just looks incredible. I just bought my'80 BJ 40 yesterday and will take it in to the shop to begin the strip down and rebuild. I can only hope that these guys will half as good a job as you are doing for the owner of that rig. OMG you have no idea how much I wished I had you living in town so you could do mine up the same way. Clearly you da man!!!:clap::clap:

Nicely done... When I lined my 75 that I restored I used "backer rod" in the bolt holes. You can get it in varying sizes and it's already tubular. Works great....

dumb question... did you paint the texture coating inside, or was it mixed with that accurate a color match to the exterior paint, b/c if so, it looks great.

BTW, getting the seams to look that good is a bitch, huh? I had to use two applications of 8505 3M stuff, one to fill, and one to get the correct bead, since it shrinks so much.

Nicely done... When I lined my 75 that I restored I used "backer rod" in the bolt holes. You can get it in varying sizes and it's already tubular. Works great....

That might be it...

dumb question... did you paint the texture coating inside, or was it mixed with that accurate a color match to the exterior paint, b/c if so, it looks great.

BTW, getting the seams to look that good is a bitch, huh? I had to use two applications of 8505 3M stuff, one to fill, and one to get the correct bead, since it shrinks so much.

I mixed the liner. It is a U-POL Raptor tintable liner. My kids could do it.........

3M that CCOT sells sucks!! I used SEM.

Shane

POSER,

Please tell me the OME will relax a few inches.......

standard.jpg

I put 300 pounds in the bed and very little movement.....It looks like a dragster:confused:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice work.

Any info on the jig to carry/move the tub around? Did you build it or buy it pre-fab? Where can I get one? Thanks, R.

The first one was a rack I got from home depot and just added wheels and used the factory front and rear locations to bolt to. the one pictured is just made from square stock, chop saw and a few wheels from Harbor freight. Super light weight and easy to move.

Shane

<EDIT> Rack was used for transport of something heavy......It was scrap that I asked to have..

Last edited:
Shane-

You have NO WEIGHT (300# is NOTHING) on those springs.

Finish assembling the truck, it will be fine.

Looks really nice man.

:beer:

Shane - does every 1981 cruiser you restore come with a Miami Vice DVD? ;)

That movie sucked!

Jealous much? Yes I am.

That is beautiful work Shane! What were you doing watching the Matrix though, while working on a cruiser?!?! Isn't the gleam of fresh hardware enough excitement?

Dan
I need to background sound from keeping numb.....

Stay tuned as I am off to the body shop to pick up some panels....

Shane you do awesome work. I always love seeing your build threads.

Hey ! Who made your heater ???:lol:

Simply awesome. I would be terrified to drive that. With my luck I would get rear ended the first day ! :lol:

How many hours do you have in that ? Are you keeping a log ?

Nice, nice, nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom