1980 20r (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morrning Brand New first post have a wiring question.. Truck was running the guy completely ripped off the body and cut all the wires and harnesses. I want to make it into a buggy it was free so no lose yet. I want to know the easiest way to wire it and get it running again the alternator has been cut i mean everything even battery to starter.. I have a manuel and it looks pretty simple but i now have no spark so i guess i'm doing something wrong.. I figured power to grounded coil and should have something right?? Any help would be appeciated this is a very low budget project i'm doing with my son before he goes to boot camp next month so any help would be appeciated diagrams would even be better thanks Tracy

these are wire diagrams from autozone. they list it as a 1980, but some diagrams are ultra generic. it has diagrams for a V-6 in a 80! :rolleyes:
oh yeah welcome to mud :flipoff2:
as far as your truck goes- the blue wires are mostly all for the wipers. the black with yellow wire is the ignition wire, the green wires are all lights. the white with black wires are all grounds. some of the lights in front run in a series. so it may be confusing. the yellow with red wire is fuel gauge.
i suggest you find a harness out of another truck.

took me about 4 hours to separate mine with out losing track of my harness.
and about 5 days to build a completely new one, and tie in only the lights wipers and turn signal to my new one.

Thanks Wristpin i am not looking to run anything but the motor and to get it running again i will be making it into a swamp buggy so all i need is to get it running and charging electrically crap is my worst problem i saw those from AutoZone but don't know which one will just get me running again..All i have to work with is the starter coil ignter and alternator how would i get spark to fire it??

Last edited:
there is a FAQ you know... :rolleyes:

in there there is this link:
IH8MUD™ Forums - View Single Post - Wiring up coil

there is a pink wire hidden inside the harness along the dash. thats a fusible link. find one side of it and give it power. if the right wires are connected after the link she should fire, granted what needs to be connected is in fact connected.

but like i said, the black with yellow wire is the ignition wire. power that and it will fire.

there is a FAQ you know... :rolleyes:

in there there is this link:
IH8MUD™ Forums - View Single Post - Wiring up coil

there is a pink wire hidden inside the harness along the dash. thats a fusible link. find one side of it and give it power. if the right wires are connected after the link she should fire, granted what needs to be connected is in fact connected.

but like i said, the black with yellow wire is the ignition wire. power that and it will fire.

According to the origonal poster, the previous owner removed the body so there is no dash to speak of. Right??? :confused:

Correct Gittinit there is nothing left except the motor and frame thats it ,no cab, no harness nothing at all the will have to rewire the motor and charging system. That is all i'm trying to do is restart it like you would if you where running it on a stand out of the truck.. No Key push button or switch..

Welcome to Mud Tracy! :D

Have you hooked up the wires to work the starter and turn it over?

Here's the ignition diagram from an 85, I can't imagine yours is any different.... Disregard the EFI wires noted.....
Ignite.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom