eBay SOLD!!! 1976 FJ40 w/ awesome mods and extras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota: Land Cruiser Base Sport Utility 2-Door

Text from the ebay ad:

What year is the Land Cruiser? 1976
What color is it? Corvette Yellow with black body armor.
What Is the actual mileage if known? Unknown, but lots J
Does the vehicle have a clear title? yes
Has the vehicle been garaged? Yes (under my ownership), carport under PO’s ownership

Body/Frame

Rate the body on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being perfect 7 (some scratches, small dents, cut rear fenders)
Is there rust? Duh, it’s a 40 of course there is rust. if yes please describe – Actually not too bad, surface rust on lower amby doors and small surface spots here and there. No rust on frame. Undercarriage well preserved / protected.
Describe any body/frame damage? Some trail dents on doors. No frame damage.
Condition of windows? Great
Rear wheel wells cut for flares? yes
All body logos present? I have them all, but rear logos are not on the truck
Has vehicle been repainted? Yes if yes, original color? White
Has the top been removed? Yes
Is there rust in the floor? No
Please rate the tires - Excellent, 2 years old and less than 2,000 miles
Original Wheels and Hubcaps? If no, please describe. Not original, but I bought OEM 2 years ago.

Engine and Mechanical

Rate the engine on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being excellent 7
Is this the original engine/transmission? No. 2F from a ’77 and a SM420 4 speed. Will include an OEM 4 speed with bellhousing and transfer case ready to install.
Has either engine/transmission been rebuilt? No
Original carburator or after market? Weber 38/38 now, but will include an OEM Aisin rebuilt by Jim C. with zero miles
What repairs does the engine/transmission need? All seals could be replaced to stop leaks.
Does it leak fluids? Yep, see above.
Does it burn oil? No.
Is the clutch in good shape? Yes.
Have brakes been serviced? Yes. When? Replaced front calipers and pads in summer of 2014.
Transmission - in good working order - both high and low range? Yes
Does it shift smoothly? Yes
Power steering? Yes, Saginaw upgrade. New pump and hoses from Georg in Spring of 2015.
How many inches of play in the steering? ~2 to 3 inches
Air Conditioning? No
Winch? No
Aux Fuel Tank? No

Interior

Rate the interior on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being perfect: 8
What is broken or missing on the interior?
Seats Ripped? No. New aftermarket seats (SCAT Procar) in Summer of 2014.
Headliner sagging or gone? OEM gone and replaced with black indoor/outdoor carpet.
Original rubber mats? Yes in front.
Rear Jump Seats present? Removed to install fold & flip bench seat (Trailmax II 39435)for kids. Will include original jump seats in sale.
Dash Pads Ripped or cracked? No. In good shape.
Dash board cut out for add-on switches or stereo? Cut for Stereo by prior owner.
Original Radio? No installed a aftermarket Kenwood Excelon with a Bazooka sub and Polk outdoor speakers. It’s a great set up for the 40. Plenty loud with the top down.
Gauges working? Yes
All signals working? Yes
Brake lights? Yes
Head lights? Yes
Turn Signals? Yes
Licence Plate lights? Yes
Hazards? Yes
Wipers? Yes
Washers? No, washer not installed.
Instrument lighting? Yes
Interior Light? No not installed.
Original Owners manual present? No.
Inspection light present? No.
Jack present? Yes, OEM, but not original to this truck.
Toolbag Present? Yes, OEM, but not original to this truck
Rear Heater? Yes, works great.

Any additional add-ons, options, information

Major purchases / projects since I’ve owned it:

1. BFG AT K/O 33x10.5x15 with less than 3,000 miles

2. Black OEM steelies 15x5.5" and OEM hubcaps (never installed the hubacaps)

3. Trailmax II 39435 Rear bench fold & flip seat

4. New OEM front bumper

5. OME Suspension Kit (2.5" lift / "soft") Late model 1980+ kit w/ larger bushings (using FJ60 perches)

6. SCAT Procar 1100 seats + brackets

7. Metaltech family rollcage w/ a family bikini top

8. New OEM Calipers and brake pads (front axle)

9. Nippon Denso FJ80 Alternator

10. FJ60 Gear Reduction Starter

11. Trail Taylor Rock Sliders

12. Knuckle rebuild (front axle) in Spring 2014

13. New red top battery Summer 2014

14. Replaced power steering pump with a canned ham style kit from Georg

15. Installed Energy Suspension body mounts

16. Trollhole Electronic Dizzy, new plugs & wires, and valve adjustment

17. New OEM side mirrors

Major Features from the Prior Owner

1. SM420 transmission w/new bearings and synchros

2. 1973 Toyota low range transfer case with twin stick shifters

3. SM420 & 3 speed xfer case Combo gives a 67:1 gear ration is first gear low range

4. Lock Right locker in rear diff.

5. Toyota electric locker in front diff.. Elec locker protected by a skid plate.

6. U-bolt skid plates

7. Chromoly birfields

8. Custom half doors (made from original doors)

9. hand throttle mounted to gear shift

10. Aquala Alum. tail-gate w/locking storage for top off summer mode

11. Custom-made 1/4” steel diamond plate rear corner armor

12. Custom-made 5/16” steel sliders integrated into the body and interconnected by a 4”x5/16”x14 lb. per ft. steel I-beam

13. 4”x5/16”x14 lb. per ft. steel I-beam custom made rear bumper/skid plate w/ NEW recessed Toyota tail lights

14. Repro fiberglass 1963 front bezel with Land Cruiser imprinted on it.

15. Round Eyes head lights

While this 40 has lived under a carport and then in my garage, it is NOT a garage queen. The paint is shadetree mechanic special. It has some minor trail dents and scratches.

This is one you can drive all the time anywhere. Work, trail, cruising, whatever you want. It was more hardcore when I bought it with a 3+ inch lift on 35’s. Going down to 33” tires and installing the new OME 2” suspension was a huge improvement in road manners. I’ve tried to strike a nice balance between paved road manners and retaining off-road prowess.

What does it need? The front heater could use a rebuild. It still throws out massive heat, but it rattles and just looks old. The Weber carb has developed a vacuum leak (whistle) where the two throttle plates stack on each other. That is why I bought an Aisin and had Jim C rebuild it. I just haven’t gotten around to installing it.

It leaks oil as mentioned above. Not enough to need a top off, but it’s annoying.

If I were to keep it, I was going to swap in the OEM 4 speed and transfer case just to go back to get back closer to how Mr. T intended it.

Why am I selling? I never have time to wrench on it (young kids and a time intensive job). Plus the kids like riding in my Tundra more. When given the choice they pick the pickup every time. It is just sitting too much in the garage and I’d rather see it go to someone who will drive it more. I plan to use the funds to buy an 80 or 100 series after I convince the kids that the Tundra has to go.

What's not in the ebay ad:

Trades? The only trades I’d consider are a 80 or 100 series, but I’d expect $ in addition to your trade unless it is one very special locked, low mileage, and built rig. But I’m not interested in a beat on trail rig or a rusty mess.

Price? I have well over $22K into the rig. Is it a $20K rig? No, but that is OK. I never expected to make money on it. Actually never planned to sell it. I’ve been all over the price range in my mind and have decided to throw it on ebay to see what the market says. I’m not desperate to sell, so I’ll see what happens with what I consider to be a reasonable reserve. If anyone wants to come take a look, I’d be glad to crawl all over and under the truck with you. In fact, that is my preference, so you know exactly what you’re getting.

If I don’t sell it now, I’ll get someone to swap in the Aisin carb and OEM 4speed/xfer and try again or keep it and sell my pickup.

I'd strongly prefer to sell it to a Mud brother or sister. Come take a look.

Bump. a day and a half left on the auction. A couple of pics in winter and summer attire because we all love pics.
IMG_2027[2].JPG
IMG_2149[1].JPG

PM sent

Nice truck. I've bid on it. Trying to decide how high to go.

I have family in Elkton, MD. Might have someone run up and look at it.

Thanks. That's only about an hour away. I'm around on Sunday.

Sold

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom